GM says Sox have options (Chicago Sports.com article)

sox-r-us

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

===================

"All in all, where we are today is in a good place heading into the winter meetings," Williams said Wednesday after the White Sox announced the signing of free agent reliever Scott Linebrink to a four-year, $19 million contract.

====================

"It doesn't have to be a center fielder. We can stay with [Jerry] Owens in center field. We still have Ryan Sweeney. We still have Brian Anderson. We may choose to go the left-field route, or we may choose to move one of those guys to left field and plug in a center fielder. So we've got a lot of flexibility."

====================

Boston is looking for relief help, and the Sox's Mike MacDougal could be available after losing his role to Linebrink. MacDougal is guaranteed nearly $5 million over the next two seasons and has a $3.75 million option for 2010. Relievers David Aardsma and Nick Masset, both demoted at midseason, are out of options.

"This is the business side of baseball," Williams said. "Those players who solidified themselves and gave us a certain amount of confidence that we don't have to explore other options, they've earned that right. The ones who had a difficult time last year, there's got to be an understanding on their part this is part of the drill."

=====================

Williams said he nearly acquired Linebrink from San Diego in July 2006, but the Padres wanted third baseman Josh Fields.

Williams pointed out that Linebrink's 3.55 ERA in 27 games last season with the Brewers was a "blip," adding that he drove to Milwaukee to scout him and came away impressed.

"He has that plus fastball," Williams said. "He has sink."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

All I have to say is that I hope he is not seriously considering the 5 players mentioned in that article as actual centerfielders.

Oh, and that I doubt the Twins have much interest in Crisp anymore; Pridie, Tyner, and whatever else they can pick up on the scrapheap may very well be good enough to suit them for CF this year. Depending on what they do with Santana, I'd be very surprised if the Twins actually expect to compete this year, and if they do, that a move for a CFer will come during the season rather than before.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 07:37 AM)
I have a feeling KW has no plan now that Hunter blew him off....hell he could have gotten Delmon Young and was sleeping during that move....yeah I know its early and the sky is falling.

I actually kind of agree. I think he has a hope that he can land Crawford or Cabrera, but he doesn't have the chips. I'm getting that feeling that he'll make a move for Crisp, then say they are done. But it's usually when I least expect something to happen that a move is made.

QUOTE(G&T @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 12:48 PM)
I actually kind of agree. I think he has a hope that he can land Crawford or Cabrera, but he doesn't have the chips. I'm getting that feeling that he'll make a move for Crisp, then say they are done. But it's usually when I least expect something to happen that a move is made.

I highly doubt Tampa would trade Crawford now since they just shipped off Young. I also am beginning to agree that KW has no plan... Whatever happening to getting a lot of things done BEFORE the Winter Meetings? Im guessing everything he is offering to the other teams is just not good enough... it seems like every trade he has done the past 2 seasons, the other GM came up to him... thats no good. :angry:

Before Hunter signed with the Angels, KW promised a dynamic offense. He promised that all his moves would come together like a jigsaw puzzle. His comments in today's article have to be a bluff. This is a team that has been terrible for a year and a half. Swapping out Garland for Cabrera and Linebrink doesn't definitively make them better.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 08:01 AM)
I highly doubt Tampa would trade Crawford now since they just shipped off Young. I also am beginning to agree that KW has no plan... Whatever happening to getting a lot of things done BEFORE the Winter Meetings? Im guessing everything he is offering to the other teams is just not good enough... it seems like every trade he has done the past 2 seasons, the other GM came up to him... thats no good. :angry:

I think part of the problem is that the trade market exploded in off season. Which would be a great thing if the Sox had a farm system, but instead the market has hurt the Sox. I think he expected to deal Crede early in the off season, but then A-Rod re-signed with the Yankees (a possible trading partner), Lowell re-signed with the Red Sox, and Miguel Cabrera became available, which means other trade partners are now waiting to see where he lands.

He might have expected to trade a bat like Konerko to get younger players from a team like the Dodgers, but instead MCab and Santana are available and teams with the youngsters are going after them.

Meanwhile, the Hunter didn't work out.

Basically, he had a plan, but now his players don't have the value he expected because there are better players out there.

This would have been the best off season in a long time to turn this team around, if they had the young talent to deal. Instead KW has to wait for the market to come to him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 08:19 AM)
Before Hunter signed with the Angels, KW promised a dynamic offense. He promised that all his moves would come together like a jigsaw puzzle. His comments in today's article have to be a bluff. This is a team that has been terrible for a year and a half. Swapping out Garland for Cabrera and Linebrink doesn't definitively make them better.

It definitely makes them better - just not enough better to match his bluster.

But for everyone panicking... you cannot take KW's words on entering the GM meetings seriously. Why would he go in there and say "I'm desperately seeking a CF"? That would just weaken his position.

And I still don't get Gonzales' fascination with a backup middle infielder.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 08:53 AM)
It definitely makes them better - just not enough better to match his bluster.

But for everyone panicking... you cannot take KW's words on entering the GM meetings seriously. Why would he go in there and say "I'm desperately seeking a CF"? That would just weaken his position.

And I still don't get Gonzales' fascination with a backup middle infielder.

WINNER!

Listen, there are 5 things that we pretty much know for certain:

1. KW is going to acquire atleast one good outfielder.

2. KW is very likely to add another bullpen arm.

3. Crede and Fields will not both be on the team in April.

4. The Sox will not pay Uribe that kind of money to sit on the bench where he'd likely be even less consistent when he does play.

5 Plus, a number of the young pitchers are out of options. A couple of them will be moved.

So, there's still going to be lots of action happening. I would be shocked if we don't hear about a couple of moves in the next 10 days.

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 06:53 AM)
More and more, I think Kenny is not bluffing about the OF vacancies and actually believes the bs he says.

Tell Me about it! I haven't posted in a while but been reading all the posts everyday but today i am fed up enough! I can't even believe that kw even thinks about B A and Jerry Owens filling the centerfield spot. That brings us right where we were last year! Lets hope this is a smoke screen, because hopefully kw learned his lesson after the hunter fiasco. I just got season tix this year and after the money i spent to get them they better get their act together......but it is only end of nov so i am telling myself to relax and see what happens :angry: Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 05:53 AM)
More and more, I think Kenny is not bluffing about the OF vacancies and actually believes the bs he says.

I think KW is probably being misunderstood when he talks about being comfortable sliding Anderson or Owens into an outfield slot -- presumably center. I don't think he is indicating a willingness to stand-pat. I think that what he is saying is that he wants to acquire another player or two, but that player doesn't need to be a centerfielder. My take is that if KW is going to shell out some money or trade away some talent, he's going to take the best player he can possibly acquire, not necessarily the best centerfielder remaining. For instance, if the Sox really believe they have a legitimate shot at a Miguel Cabrera, KW doesn't want to trade away one or more of his best bargaining chips in a lesser deal. If he's going to part with some talent, he wants it to be for a player that will have the biggest impact. If he were to get a Miguel Cabrera or Miguel Tejada-type player to play third, he may believe that the offensive upgrade allows an Anderson or Owens to play center because the overall team has been improved.

Edited by infohawk

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 10:14 AM)
Listen, there are 5 things that we pretty much know for certain:

1. KW is going to acquire atleast one good outfielder.

2. KW is very likely to add another bullpen arm.

3. Crede and Fields will not both be on the team in April.

4. The Sox will not pay Uribe that kind of money to sit on the bench where he'd likely be even less consistent when he does play.

5 Plus, a number of the young pitchers are out of options. A couple of them will be moved.

So, there's still going to be lots of action happening. I would be shocked if we don't hear about a couple of moves in the next 10 days.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)
Isn't it hilarious to see posts one day about how we need to rebuild and value our prospects and the next day b****ing about how we need to deal the players for an established star?

Also to get young we would have had to deal danks,dls, or gio plus 2 more guys.

I was also thinking that if we had good prospects that we should keep them rather than overpay someone out there in a weak FA market. Plus read back on some of these things and see where people actually felt Hunter was not plan A for the Sox. It is quite obvious Hunter was the target. Now Rowand is still out there and is darn good, but we don't hear anything much from the Sox about him. Why? Aaron Rowand would be a great CF'er and fit in great with this team. He is a hard nosed player and gives 100% all the time. You have to question sometimes whether there really is a plan and just not some wish list that isn't unlike all teams wish lists.

KW arrogance at it's finest again, he huffs and puffs and nothing happens. I do not see anything major happening at winter meetings or rest of winter. KW will trade or sign a middle of the road guy and tell Sox fans whoever it is was plan A the whole time! :angry: :gosox4:

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
KW arrogance at it's finest again, he huffs and puffs and nothing happens. I do not see anything major happening at winter meetings or rest of winter. KW will trade or sign a middle of the road guy and tell Sox fans whoever it is was plan A the whole time! :angry: :gosox4:

Its still November, and the team already has improved significantly at SS and the bullpen, not to mention the addition by subtraction of Erstad, Cintron, Podz and Myers. Most teams haven't done even half that much.

You.Must.Chill.

Give it a few months.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 04:37 AM)
hell he could have gotten Delmon Young and was sleeping during that move..

Yeah, he could've given up Danks and/or Fields for Young, but that would've been massively stupid. I'm not sure what other high-tier prospects/cheap young players Kenny had at his disposal to trade for Young.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
Yeah, he could've given up Danks and/or Fields for Young, but that would've been massively stupid. I'm not sure what other high-tier prospects/cheap young players Kenny had at his disposal to trade for Young.

Agreed. Garza is better than anything we could have offered. TB would have no interest in Fields anyways with Longoria at 3b.

Fukodome seems ideal for us. He won't get as big a deal as Jones or Rowand and it seems he slaughters both of them in terms of getting on base. I like the fact I haven't heard Williams mention him once. Never heard Hunter going to the Angels till it happened. Never heard a word about us getting Orlando till it happened.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
Fukodome seems ideal for us. He won't get as big a deal as Jones or Rowand and it seems he slaughter's both of them in terms of getting on base. I like the fact I haven't heard Williams mention him once. Never heard Hunter going to the Angels till it happened. Never heard a word about us getting Orlando till it happened.

If the scouting is correct, he would be a great top of the order guy with the high OBP, place him with Cabrera and I think were looking a lot better. I would go 3/30 for him, maybe more with incentives, and Owens could stay in center or they can see who's better in ST. I still think that if were going to be competing this year that we cant afford both floyd and danks in the rotation, and a vet. needs to be signed. Im kinda liking Benson on a one year deal, he could be a quality 4/5 guy depending on how he is recovering from injury, my only other concern is his wife :P