Pablo

TheChrisSamsa

Would it be silly to try to work Pablo into being an every day second baseman and leadoff hitter? I may be mistaken, but I don't think he was THAT bad playing 2b, he's definitely not a good 3b or left fielder, but i don't remember having major issues with him in middle infield.. especially if he got a ton of work in there in spring training? Would this make any sense at all? Is it worth a shot?

he's a slap stick hitter but i love his enthusiasm not to mention his fielding ability. it would work. however, i think we should give richar every possibility to be all that he can be in the White Sox Army.

yeah, I duno, I'm just not that confident in his ability to add pop to this team. Pablo seems to add that spark and swagger.. if Richar struggles, i'd like to see Pablo put into his role.

i don't think he will but with richar + cabrera + Pierzynski (who is due for a big year IMO) + jones/rowand we would be absolutely ELITE up the middle as far as defense is concerned and with newbie pitchers that is a must. pablo is a good defender but richar has the potential to be orlando cabrera esque IMO. or atleast a notch below him which is saying a lot.

That said, you do bring up an intersting point. Pablo brings that X-factor to the table that was sorely missing last season. players like aaron rowand also bring the X-factor to the table. we need that but the X-factor might not be as important provided we add stable leadership to the clubhouse like Orlando Cabrera. We definently need to add some spice to our team just like the bulls do. no more lame ducks!

Edited by DonnyDevito

QUOTE(PlunketChris @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:45 AM)
yeah, I duno, I'm just not that confident in his ability to add pop to this team. Pablo seems to add that spark and swagger.. if Richar struggles, i'd like to see Pablo put into his role.

THE SOX ARE NOT A CONTENDING TEAM. PLAY YOUR YOUTH.

PLEASE, SOXTALK, F'ING UNDERSTAND THIS CONCEPT, PLEASE

isnt pablo rather young??? i never understood why pablo has never been given a chance to be a full time player, what am i missing??? yes i know his D isnt good but who knows maybe he can feed off the good D of OC. you guys dont think he can hit as a full time player cause he can sure as hell hit as a backup,IMO i think the guy can hit period. I would be thrilled to see him at the top of the lineup.

QUOTE(2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 01:23 AM)
isnt pablo rather young??? i never understood why pablo has never been given a chance to be a full time player, what am i missing??? yes i know his D isnt good but who knows maybe he can feed off the good D of OC. you guys dont think he can hit as a full time player cause he can sure as hell hit as a backup,IMO i think the guy can hit period. I would be thrilled to see him at the top of the lineup.

Pablo is one of those players that you love to watch because he tries so hard, but that just isn't very good. He hustles, which is nice, but his offensive numbers are incredibly average driven (meaning he doesn't draw many walks), and he has little to no power. He walks so little that he'd rival the embarrassingly bad patience of Juan Uribe in a competition for who can draw the least walks throughout the course of a season.

I mean, I like the fact that he hustles and tries his best, but frankly, he's not that good of an offensive player to begin with, and when you consider his defense, he looks even worse as a potential starter.

Barring a trade I would expect Juan Uribe to get significant time at 2B, maybe 60 games. I thought he did a good job with the glove there in '04. Playing match ups with Richar and Uribe may get a little more out of them together than either could do as a full timer. Uribe will also get about 15-20 starts at SS as Cabrera's caddy (count the Sundays).

I think Ozuna stays an all purpose sub, occasional starts in LF-3B-2B against good righties but mostly a late inning pinch hitter and situational runner (Kong-Thome-JD-AJ). When Zoomer comes into the game something always happens -- its not always good but something happens.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 02:04 AM)

If Fields, Quentin, and Richar don't play everyday I'm going to be pissed. Especially Quentin and Richar because I see no reason to trade top 10 prospects in our system for bench players.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 01:04 AM)

My bad.. I forgot that it's already the 08 playoffs, and the Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, and Angels are battling it out for their trips to the World Series. Obviously everyone else should have PLAYED THEIR YOUTH! Because in baseball, star power automatically puts you in the post-season.. i mean, look at the Colorado Rockies of 07... /green

QUOTE(PlunketChris @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
My bad.. I forgot that it's already the 08 playoffs, and the Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, and Angels are battling it out for their trips to the World Series. Obviously everyone else should have PLAYED THEIR YOUTH! Because in baseball, star power automatically puts you in the post-season.. i mean, look at the Colorado Rockies of 07... /green

I'm going to be completely honest here and say that I *hate* when people use the "Oh, it's already the playoffs, why play the regular season" card, because it's stupid. Really, it's not the playoffs yet, there's a season to be played? No s***? Thanks!

The Sox are not a contender this year; if you don't realize this now, then you are blind. They will not put a product on the field that will be considered a favorite or even a good team by nearly everyone on the planet. That doesn't mean they can't potentially be a good team if the planets align and a meteor hits the earth and etc etc what not else. All I'm saying is that playing Pablo puts the Sox in no better of a position this year than Richar does, and Richar gives you hope for the future, where Pablo gives you none.

And by the way, let's look at the Colorado Rockies...the team that scored the 2nd most amount of runs in the NL last year and put up a 4.32 ERA, which was good for middle of the pack, and beyond that, had a bullpen that put up an ERA of 3.85 for the year, which is outstanding. Thus, the Rockies were a damn good team, and the Sox don't have near the talent level the Rockies did.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)
All I'm saying is that playing Pablo puts the Sox in no better of a position this year than Richar does, and Richar gives you hope for the future, where Pablo gives you none.

That's all that needed to be said to put it succinctly and correctly. Hindsight on the Rockies is 20/20.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)
I'm going to be completely honest here and say that I *hate* when people use the "Oh, it's already the playoffs, why play the regular season" card, because it's stupid. Really, it's not the playoffs yet, there's a season to be played? No s***? Thanks!

The Sox are not a contender this year; if you don't realize this now, then you are blind. They will not put a product on the field that will be considered a favorite or even a good team by nearly everyone on the planet. That doesn't mean they can't potentially be a good team if the planets align and a meteor hits the earth and etc etc what not else. All I'm saying is that playing Pablo puts the Sox in no better of a position this year than Richar does, and Richar gives you hope for the future, where Pablo gives you none.

And by the way, let's look at the Colorado Rockies...the team that scored the 2nd most amount of runs in the NL last year and put up a 4.32 ERA, which was good for middle of the pack, and beyond that, had a bullpen that put up an ERA of 3.85 for the year, which is outstanding. Thus, the Rockies were a damn good team, and the Sox don't have near the talent level the Rockies did.

Buy a calendar, wite. This 'year' doesn't start for another 4 months.

If the team still looks more or less like this in 4 or 5 months though, I'd agree, they are a long shot at best to compete for the post-season.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
Buy a calendar, wite. This 'year' doesn't start for another 4 months.

If the team still looks more or less like this in 4 or 5 months though, I'd agree, they are a long shot at best to compete for the post-season.

How are the Sox going to compare to the Tigers this year offensively, defensively, pitching, and on the coaching? Who are logical replacements, and what effect would it have on the near (2-3 years) future roster? Basically, if the Sox strip the farm system to the absolute bare bottom for a desperation attempt at putting a competitive team on the field (meaning adding more pitching and a CFer), they'd still have to get lucky to win the division. Say, for example, you bring in Aaron Rowand, trade every minor leaguer along with Richar and Fields to the Orioles for Bedard and Roberts (if they'd even do it, which is questionable to begin with), you trade Uribe for scrap pieces; is that Sox team contending? Possibly, but they still aren't the favorites, there is no minor league depth, and the Sox essentially have to pray that Crede, Quentin, Dye, and Pierzynski all get back to their career norms/projections, that Danks and Floyd can last 360 innings or so putting up an ERA in the 5.00-5.25 region, that Contreras' back holds up throughout the entire season, and that the bullpen produces well.

And KW has said that the White Sox aren't adding any more pitching, making that scenario even more highly unlikely.

Trust me, I have all the calendar I need. I understand that there are 4 months left. But you rarely, if ever, see big moves made from February 1st on, and there are generally only slightly smaller moves made from January 15th and on; that leaves the Sox about a month to finish the offseason plan.

I'd bet that the Sox current roster is pretty damn close to complete. I'd put 50/50 odds on the Sox bringing in another CFer, perhaps some help on the bench, Crede being dealt or non-tendered (someone should take a chance on him), the possibility of Uribe being traded, and then a bunch of minor league signings, and I'd imagine that's about it.

Joe Cowley visits with Ozzie Guillen in Sunday's Sun-Times:

"Q: Who is going to play second?

A: Right now, I'm looking to [Danny] Richar. But I have Juan Uribe to compete with him."

So no mention of Pablo, and as I mentioned above, if Uribe is still on the team you can expect to see him on the field quite a bit.

Edited by TLAK

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 10:38 AM)
Joe Cowley visits with Ozzie Guillen in Sunday's Sun-Times:

"Q: Who is going to play second?

A: Right now, I'm looking to [Danny] Richar. But I have Juan Uribe to compete with him."

So no mention of Pablo, and as I mentioned above, if Uribe is still on the team you can expect to see him on the field quite a bit.

Which means that if Uribe is on the team, we will have a fatty at 2nd yelling profundo every time he comes to AB. Hopefully Ozzie gives Richar the shot instead of Uribe having the Erstad effect.