Telling note about Brian Anderson

scenario

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
I love the half-assed veiled shots at certain posters here.

Of course we're going to obsess over their moves -- it's a message board, what are we supposed to do? Kenny told has repeatedly told us fans that we're going to compete in 2008. If he were more reasonable and said something like, "We're going to do our best to compete in 2008 without sacrificing our long-term chances in 2009 and beyond", people would be more reasonable and level-headed with him. But instead he's been making stupid comment after stupid comment the whole winter -- "‘‘All this has done is put the Tigers in a better position to contend with us.’’ If I was a reporter there I would've burst out laughing right in his face.

I think he meant... everyone.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:00 PM)
I can't believe anyone would want the team to spend $$$$ on a CFer when Brian Anderson is there for so much less. Screw these $18 mil players, we need Brian Anderson and his livable contract. What a bargain!

Tex, when's the last time I told you how much I despise you?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
Tex, when's the last time I told you how much I despise you?

I'm all about the money ;) :lol: Who cares if we finish in fourth place, as long as we don't overpay for someone that could actually contribute.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
Why does Owens automatically get the job? We know who the better defender is (when healthy) and there's nothing to say Owens will be a better hitter than Anderson. I'd think if it really came down to it, Ozzie could find a good amount of at-bats for both at the major league level, especially with Quentin in LF.

Why did Erstad automatically get the job out of st last season? Ozzie doesn't like BA, he's not getting another shot here, he's just not.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 06:12 PM)
Why did Erstad automatically get the job out of st last season? Ozzie doesn't like BA, he's not getting another shot here, he's just not.

Erstadt equaled a grinder.. BA equaled a pretty boy in Ozzies eyes.. Erstadt had to run like crazy to get to the ball while BA took direct routes. Ba got sent down after about 19 at bats. I'm not arguing with anybody about his swing and the fact that needed to be improved.. But the whole 2007 white sox players, Dye, and Konerko, until the last couple of months seemed to be operating at the mendoza line. BA did hit well 2 out of the 6 months in 06 that shows he can do it. Texsox is right if we could use BA rather than spend 18 million better then maybe we could get a Sp like Haren and some relievers.. Sox will still have some question marks waiting at Spring training. How well can Crede play can BA look like a Major leaguer. Not to mention choosing SPS and a bullpen from all those players we sent down.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
Who is going to check to see if Ozzie and Kenny have grown up yet?

Ozzie isn't immature; he's just young AND old-school. One day, he'll be like Bobby Cox or Tony LaRussa -- assuming he can get a General Manager and Owner who give him good horses, anyway.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 07:16 PM)
Ozzie isn't immature; he's just young AND old-school. One day, he'll be like Bobby Cox or Tony LaRussa -- assuming he can get a General Manager and Owner who give him good horses, anyway.

Crap that's right!!! Look at how many more World Series wins Bobby Cox has than Ozzie!!!!!! :D

Edited by ptatc

Do any of you ever remember seeing Brian with a strong at bat?

I don't mean where he got lucky and hit the ball, at bat(s) where he had a clue?

You all see more games than me. Not a flame, just wondering.

Whenever I saw him bat he looked like a pitcher at the plate, a bad hitting pitcher

I mean.

I just wondered if even in spring training when he got on that hot streak did he ever

have at bats where you felt he truly had a clue?

Fill me in.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 06:58 PM)
Erstadt equaled a grinder.. BA equaled a pretty boy in Ozzies eyes.. Erstadt had to run like crazy to get to the ball while BA took direct routes. Ba got sent down after about 19 at bats. I'm not arguing with anybody about his swing and the fact that needed to be improved.. But the whole 2007 white sox players, Dye, and Konerko, until the last couple of months seemed to be operating at the mendoza line. BA did hit well 2 out of the 6 months in 06 that shows he can do it. Texsox is right if we could use BA rather than spend 18 million better then maybe we could get a Sp like Haren and some relievers.. Sox will still have some question marks waiting at Spring training. How well can Crede play can BA look like a Major leaguer. Not to mention choosing SPS and a bullpen from all those players we sent down.

The White Sox aren't getting Haren. Crede will be playing somewhere else.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 06:12 PM)

He didn't automatically get the job. Its obvious to me that Sox management was looking for a certian level of commitment from Brian last spring, and once they got to Tucson, they didn't get it. Its not all about statistics. You know as well as I do that numbers can, and do, often lie. Just ask Anderson's agent how much of a commitment to baseball that Brian has made in years past. For whatever reason, that is important to the Sox. They don't care about guys who can pad their stats in garbage time, they want a guy who is willing to fight it out in the trenches, and Anderson has never given them that.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
He didn't automatically get the job. Its obvious to me that Sox management was looking for a certian level of commitment from Brian last spring, and once they got to Tucson, they didn't get it. Its not all about statistics. You know as well as I do that numbers can, and do, often lie. Just ask Anderson's agent how much of a commitment to baseball that Brian has made in years past. For whatever reason, that is important to the Sox. They don't care about guys who can pad their stats in garbage time, they want a guy who is willing to fight it out in the trenches, and Anderson has never given them that.

Spot on, although the concept of garbage time in baseball seems weak. I see it in basketball, but not in baseball.

In this case, I just disagree. Once Erstad was signed, he was going to start, and it didn't matter where.

Actually this is just not true, no matter how many think there was some kind of conspiracy against Brian Anderson. Erstad was brought in to light a fire under Anderson's ass, a fire that was badly needed because Brian didn't approach things professionally, as confirmed by his agent (although very well known in baseball circles).

It didn't matter if it was Erstad or not, they were going to bring in another player to light a fire under Anderson's ass, it's too bad they couldn't find anyone better than Darin Erstad. Erstad is beat up, they thought they could get a healthy year or two out of Darin and they were wrong. The flip side is Brian Anderson isn't the picture of health either. He has had nagging wrist problems and one or two more plunks on the wrist and he has a big problem in terms of his long term career.

The Sox wanted Anderson to rise to the challenge, and before anyone trots out spring training stats, please save it. There's a lot more to making the team than spring training stats, all sorts of stuff off the field and in the clubhouse. Dismiss those things if you wish, but the reality is all 30 MLB teams don't dismiss them.

The problem was they didn't get a better option than Erstad. The biggest problem is they still don't have a better option, although for now it's Jerry Owens and not Darin Erstad. They need better players, plain and simple. For all those in this thread who feel Anderson is a viable option, he may be but I will tell you this, Brian Anderson has lost the benefit of the doubt. That said, I am happy his agent says he's working hard, etc. Hopefully it will ultimately help the White Sox in some fashion, which frankly is all I care about.

It's not about Anderson.

Once again, when Erstad was signed, it didn't matter what Ozzie or Williams said, there wasn't an open competition for the CF job. It was the job for Erstad to have, and as you said, keep the position warm for a year or two. Clearly, that didn't work. I would be having this same debate if it was Erstad vs. Owens in ST2007, or Mack vs. Erstad, or whoever. Williams was after Erstad for years, finally got his guy, and it had a terrible outcome. It was sink or swim with Erstad.

Tony ...

Look at the other side of the coin. Actually it was all about Anderson. Williams would LOVE to see his hand picked young players succeed. Every GM would. A lot of teams have liked Erstad for a long time, the bloom is off the rose now that he's completely injury prone. The Cubs sniffed around Erstad, several other teams too. It was all about trying to figure out a way to wake Anderson up. They talked and talked and talked to Anderson, it is not a new thing. Erstad was not guaranteed the job, all he was guaranteed was a chance to compete for a starting job. Bad miscalc by the Sox thinking he could stay healthy, he is beat up big time.

Williams is not about guaranteeing people starting jobs, he is all about whatever makes the White Sox a better team. Sometimes he and his staff make bad judgement calls. Big problem here was Brian Anderson didn't answer the wake up call, again, not about the stats but all about commitment. There are things this board doesn't know, doesn't see, etc. I am glad the agent finally came out and told the truth, now let's ask ourselves why would the agent do that? Gee ... I wonder ... that 5% commission is a lot bigger on a Torii Hunter type contract for hard working talented CF's vs. a Brian Anderson contract as it stands now. Even the agent is tring to light a fire under Brian's butt.

The funny thing is in all of this, did the Sox not know about BA's poor attitude to apply himself when they traded Chris Young and Aaron Rowand in that 1 off-season. Sure his number in AAA in 2005 were good, hence most of us thought, yeah he could be ok for us starting in 2006. But some people at the time were saying his swing needed a lot of fixing.

Or did they just think that by giving him the starting job, he would change?

Because obviously that 1 decision has caused this franchise a lot of angst.

The funny thing is in all of this, did the Sox not know about BA's poor attitude to apply himself when they traded Chris Young and Aaron Rowand in that 1 off-season. Sure his number in AAA in 2005 were good, hence most of us thought, yeah he could be ok for us starting in 2006. But some people at the time were saying his swing needed a lot of fixing.

Or did they just think that by giving him the starting job, he would change?

Because obviously that 1 decision has caused this franchise a lot of angst.

Excellent point and here's the answer. They expected him to respond to their repeated coaching. In a nutshell, to take his career seriously, just as the agent says he's doing now for the 1st time. The Sox miscalculated, which they have done many times. It was the Sox' mistake because they convinced themselves that Anderson would listen to them, that he would mentally mature and work at being a pro.

Edited by 29andPoplar

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)

I'm not getting into more Anderson arguments, I disagree, I'll leave it at that.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 8, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
The funny thing is in all of this, did the Sox not know about BA's poor attitude to apply himself when they traded Chris Young and Aaron Rowand in that 1 off-season.

I don't think they did because he had never really struggled before. The 'problems' that cropped up were in response to his 2006 struggles. And the hole in his swing really didn't get exposed until he started facing major league pitching.