2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

QUOTE (tommy @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
I like this team better with Swisher @ 1B, and speedy Wise/Anderson platoon in CF, unless Paulie gets hot which I hope he does soon.

.292/.393/.458/.851 in his last 28 PAs...of course, that includes his 4 hit game too. He's looking better at the plate though, so as of right now, I'm not too worried.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paulie should be fine and the Sox are probably best off letting Paulie play the 2nd half because he will produce. Given that production the Sox will than be able to trade Paulie in the off-season (if they want to) and not only be able to get rid of his contract but also be able to get at least 2 good prospects in return (what I would call B to B+ prospects).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
Paulie should be fine and the Sox are probably best off letting Paulie play the 2nd half because he will produce. Given that production the Sox will than be able to trade Paulie in the off-season (if they want to) and not only be able to get rid of his contract but also be able to get at least 2 good prospects in return (what I would call B to B+ prospects).

And if he wants to go.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 03:24 PM)
And if he wants to go.

Thats a given, but if the Sox force his hand I can't see Paulie stepping in the path of a trade (assuming he's getting dealt to a potential contender). The most likely fits are obviously the Dodgers and Diamondbacks (two teams that could be interested in adding some pop to there lineup).

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)
I almost never play the inferiority complex card when it comes to the Cubs, because it really doesn't bother me that much, but I have a problem with Comcast tonight. The 12 O'clock Sportsnite led off with the Cubs instead of the Sox. I can't understand that.

1.Sox are the home team. That's always the way the highlights should be shown anyway.

2.The Sox won tonight, Cubs lost.

3.The Sox have a bigger division lead than the Cubs do.

4.Sox were on Comcast tonight, Cubs on WGN.

Sorry, but I found that odd tonight.

The cubs news was actually more recent as it was a later game but I get your point.

I was in Wisconsin last weekend and Sportscenter did not even cover the Royals/Sox Friday game. Every other game was covered with at least a clip. Pretty sad.

I loath Gail Fisher and really, really dig Kerry Sayers.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 07:33 AM)
I loath Gail Fisher and really, really dig Kerry Sayers.

Gail is looking a tad heavier where I am wondering if she is pregnant.

From Mike Downey of the Trib:

Every day, some idiot tries to tell you what is wrong with the White Sox.

Ozzie this, Kenny that. It's all Reinsdorf's fault! Konerko can't hit. Thome is through. Jenks has bursitis. Contreras has tendinitis. Crede makes too many errors. Cabrera makes too many complaints. Uh-oh, J.D. yelled at O.C.! Bench Paulie! Put Swish at first! Get rid of Uribe! What's wrong with Linebrink? What's wrong with Logan? Trade for a pitcher! Trade for a hitter! Here come the Twins! Here come the Tigers!

Blah, blah, blah.

Mike must be hanging around Soxtalk lately.

''The one thing, the people that were booing -- they have a right to boo -- but when they walk into this ballpark and take a look at that statue [the Championship Moments Monument] out there, they better realize he's a big reason that statue is even standing and we're walking around here with rings on our hands.

''I would tell them that, if they asked me what I thought, 'You better be grateful this guy played here, and one day you will be.'''

Great quote by Walker on booing of Paulie. I'm glad I would never be so stupid as to boo a guy that made me so happy a couple years earlier. Stupid stupid people to boo Paul Konerko. Sign of the times. What have you done for me lately? Sick sick fans to boo him. Dumbasses.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:44 AM)
Great quote by Walker on booing of Paulie. I'm glad I would never be so stupid as to boo a guy that made me so happy a couple years earlier. Stupid stupid people to boo Paul Konerko. Sign of the times. What have you done for me lately? Sick sick fans to boo him. Dumbasses.

I concur.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:44 AM)

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 01:47 AM)
I concur.

So him helping us win the World Series 3 years ago gives him a free pass to suck forever? Don't take this wrong, I love Paulie and I root for him hardcore. His grand slam in game 2 was probably the greatest moment in my life to date, but this is 2008, not 2005. We want to add another one of those trophy things and some more of those shiny rings and he certainly isn't helping the cause this year.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 12:59 AM)
So him helping us win the World Series 3 years ago gives him a free pass to suck forever? Don't take this wrong, I love Paulie and I root for him hardcore. His grand slam in game 2 was probably the greatest moment in my life to date, but this is 2008, not 2005. We want to add another one of those trophy things and some more of those shiny rings and he certainly isn't helping the cause this year.

No, it doesn't give him a free pass to suck forever. And he knows that he can't continue to suck and expect to remain with the Sox. It should, however, entitle him to certain amount of respect and appreciation. He's been a solid ballplayer on the Sox for a lot of years, and as Walker said he was a big part of that 2005 season. Booing Paul Konerko is idiotic.

I agree with Yas on this. If a player sucks, you get rid of him; you don't (necessarily) boo him. If a player sucks, he says something about the organization or fans, and has never done anything, then you can boo him (I probably only would if drunk, but whatever). Paulie has earned a free pass from booing; I will never boo the man because of what he did in his past, just as I will never boo Mark Buehrle nor will I ever boo Frank Thomas. That doesn't mean they can't or won't ever be replaced within the organization though or he can't be criticized by sportswriters and fans of the team; just that he should be free from booing.

His grand slam in game 2 was probably the greatest moment in my life to date, but this is 2008, not 2005.

That is where I differ from you. Because it was one of my greatest moments, I do not forget the person who provided me with such happiness. I think it says I am an idiot if the same person who gave me joy now is somebody I want to boo. I would call myself an ingrate if I wanted to boo Paulie cause he sucks now. I'm glad my personal makeup does not make me consider ever booing Paulie. Sox should Get rid of him if he sucks; boo him? Never.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 11:59 PM)

It doesn't mean you can't criticize his play. In fact, I don't ever have a problem booing when a player makes a terrible mistake. I personally rarely boo. Certain guys make my boo list though and its typically players that I can't stand because they get a lot more credit despite not being very good at baseball.

That said, I think it goes too far if you boo him when they announce him in the lineup. If you want to boo the team or player after he makes a horrid play, fine, but anything past that is a little ridiculous when it comes to a guy that has had a tremendous career in Chicago.

Its ridiculous to boo Konerko. Examine why you are booing him. Are you booing him because you think he sucks? Why does he suck? Is it because he has been hurt? Is it because he's getting older? Is it because he doesn't try? If you boo a guy because he's older and losing his skills or because he's playing hurt, you are a dope. I'm sorry, booing Konerko is so beyond stupid it makes me mad. I'm not his biggest fan, but he did help bring something to this town that actually made people cry tears of joy. You never have heard him b**** and moan about a contract, and he's never embarrassed his team or the people that call his team theirs. Some people should appreciate things. Some day they will be in a position where they will need some appreciation.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
Its ridiculous to boo Konerko. Examine why you are booing him. Are you booing him because you think he sucks? Why does he suck? Is it because he has been hurt? Is it because he's getting older? Is it because he doesn't try? If you boo a guy because he's older and losing his skills or because he's playing hurt, you are a dope. I'm sorry, booing Konerko is so beyond stupid it makes me mad. I'm not his biggest fan, but he did help bring something to this town that actually made people cry tears of joy. You never have heard him b**** and moan about a contract, and he's never embarrassed his team or the people that call his team theirs. Some people should appreciate things. Some day they will be in a position where they will need some appreciation.

Sports is a fickle world. I live in the "now", and appreciate the past. However, in the current state of the White Sox and my support, I boo my brains out for the guy. He looks over the hill and finished. It is unfair to cheer an athlete and to keep him around based upon his performances in the past. sports is a what have you done for me lately kind of field. If you want to cheer him based upon the 2005 accomplishments, I recommend you wait for the 10 year anniversary.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
Sports is a fickle world. I live in the "now", and appreciate the past. However, in the current state of the White Sox and my support, I boo my brains out for the guy. He looks over the hill and finished. It is unfair to cheer an athlete and to keep him around based upon his performances in the past. sports is a what have you done for me lately kind of field. If you want to cheer him based upon the 2005 accomplishments, I recommend you wait for the 10 year anniversary.

Boo a guy for getting old. That's classic. Its classless and stupid as well. Get a grip and realize the White Sox don't make personnel decisions on whether or not you boo. Sometimes players deserve your respect. Did you boo the hell out of Walter Payton his last season with the Bears? If you were a Met fan, would you have booed Willie Mays his last season? Granted, Konerko isn't in their class career-wise, but the premise is the same. Booing him and/or thinking its acceptable is beyond immature, unless you think he isn't trying.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
Boo a guy for getting old. That's classic. Its classless and stupid as well. Get a grip and realize the White Sox don't make personnel decisions on whether or not you boo. Sometimes players deserve your respect. Did you boo the hell out of Walter Payton his last season with the Bears? If you were a Met fan, would you have booed Willie Mays his last season? Granted, Konerko isn't in their class career-wise, but the premise is the same. Booing him and/or thinking its acceptable is beyond immature, unless you think he isn't trying.

It's more of an internal boo, I would never boo at a sporting event. As you said, Mays and Payton are legends in their sports. Konerko at this point is an overpaid has been who is killing the current state of the white sox. He needs to go!

I agree in the sense that I would never boo my own players but I can also see why some people would. Konerko might have helped bring a WS ring to Chicago, but at the same time, he's been very well compensated for his efforts. At this rate the Sox will pay him $36M for what amounts to a lifetime achievement award because it looks he sure as hell won't be earning that money with his play.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:12 AM)
It's more of an internal boo, I would never boo at a sporting event. As you said, Mays and Payton are legends in their sports. Konerko at this point is an overpaid has been who is killing the current state of the white sox. He needs to go!

Yeah, he's just killing the White Sox. BTW, he started the rally to win the game yesterday. You had some fine posts in that game thread.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
Yeah, he's just killing the White Sox. BTW, he started the rally to win the game yesterday. You had some fine posts in that game thread.

Thank you much! PK needs to go and has done nothing to help this team since his return from the injury.