2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
Ozzie on Mike North:

He would love to have Owens in CF and Swisher in LF. But is looking to start Quentin against CC on opening day. So this pretty much means his BS about OBP was a smokescreen and that a platoon that favors Owens as the start will be put in place. This is the only team in baseball where the 4th OF type is the starter and the high OBP projectable is the 4th OF. Thank god we love our speedster bantam weights that will cruise in with the sub .320 OBP. Woo hoo Pods Jr.

He was stating that Uribe played a lot of second base and should try to play there everyday. This means that Snacks and Cakes will be back in the starter role swinging for the fence on every pitch. Again dumb. He is going to have a closed door with Uribe today.

Oh and the best. If Crede plays well he will be the starter. Fields will be moved (down to AAA). He states that its not fair, but he has to do what he thinks is the best for the team. He will talk to Fields and Crede individually today about the situation.

He stated again that Floyd and Javy are throwing the best so far.

If Fields and Richar are both in AAA I will be livid.

I've been away from the Soxchat during the Winter, but Southside just showed me what I've been missing. That is the GREATEST NICKNAME I HAVE EVER HEARD for a guy...i am laughing my ass off so hard I have tears in my eyes.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched yesterday's game on the tivo, and Alexi Ramirez has been fun to watch. I wonder if he will make the team out of spring training. We have to carry 7 bullpen arms, and with Hall, Ozuna, Quentin/Owens, and Uribe, it will be tough. Hopefully we will trade Uribe for a bag of balls.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 06:31 PM)
I just watched yesterday's game on the tivo, and Alexi Ramirez has been fun to watch. I wonder if he will make the team out of spring training. We have to carry 7 bullpen arms, and with Hall, Ozuna, Quentin/Owens, and Uribe, it will be tough. Hopefully we will trade Uribe for a bag of balls.

It all depends on Crede/Uribe and the roster spots. If we carry 7 arms, our bench starts off with Hall, Crede, Uribe, Ozuna, and presumably Owens so that we have an OF backup.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
is there a reason toby hall hasnt gotten any playing time yet?

The Sox do have some medical concerns of varying degrees. Catcher Toby Hall said he should be ready to play by the end of next week after being placed on a deliberate program designed to stabilize the right shoulder he separated last March.

Hall has participated in individual drills while the team conducts its pre-game work.

In the meantime, Guillen will take an extended look at Cole Armstrong, Paul Phillips and Donny Lucy as backups in case an injury occurs to Hall or starter A.J. Pierzynski, with Armstrong pleasing the coaching staff with his defense.

"The more I see Armstrong, the more I like him a lot," Guillen said.

Hardball

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 02:50 AM)
Both Crede and Fields won't be on the big league roster... I have this sickly feeling that Crede will be the starting third basemen and Fields will be back down at AAA.

Sickly? Puhlease!

Both Crede and Fields won't be on the big league roster... I have this sickly feeling that Crede will be the starting third basemen and Fields will be back down at AAA.

Hmmm....And why wouldn't you want the better player starting? If he's here, he's starting and Fields will be at AAA.

Link

Owens, Quentin hurting

By Dave van Dyck, 2:30 p.m.

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The White Sox have shut down outfielders Jerry Owens and Carlos Quentin for at least "a couple of days" because of injuries, according to manager Ozzie Guillen.

Owens, who has taken the early lead as leadoff man/center fielder, continues to be bothered by a nagging groin pull that has bothered him for several days.

"I don't like the way he was running the bases," Guillen said. "The key for him is his legs and we have to keep those legs fresh. ... There's no reason for him to go out there and hurt himself again. All of a sudden a minor injury could become a big injury. We learned that from having [scott] Podsednk. Pods would go from a little soreness to a big deal."

Quentin, acquired in an off-season trade with Arizona, is clearly falling behind this spring as he comes back from left shoulder surgery to repair labrum and rotator cuff tears. The soreness affects his swing more than his defense, though Guillen characterizes the situations as "not a big deal."

"This kid is going to be here for good and I think he was creating bad habits with his swing and it led to some soreness, but he'll be fine," Guillen said. "If it was the start of the season, he could play. But rather than have him push it and lose one more week, we are holding him back. I think it's the best for him.

"[He's] a workaholic. We have to monitor him real close, because he's different than other kids. But he bounces back real well from injuries. He's not hurt, he's just sore. But in the meanwhile, when you're sore and it's in the back of your mind, you create bad habits. This is to protect him."

Preseason fantasy baseball rankings for yahoo are out.

Some notable ones...

Jenks got ranked 12th for RP.

Fields ranked 18th at the hot corner.

Vazquez 21 on the SP list.

Buehrle ranked 62nd! Kinda surprising considering his consistency and some of names above him.

and ofcourse for those of you following the oakland sox minors, Gio is listed at the bottom with some other prospects.

I was thinking about making a list of all the players from the AL central teams to get some sort of meaningless stuff to look at, but no time right now.

Link

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 11:51 PM)
Buehrle ranked 62nd! Kinda surprising considering his consistency and some of names above him.

He doesn't strike guys out, in '07 he had very few wins and just an above-average ERA.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
He doesn't strike guys out, in '07 he had very few wins and just an above-average ERA.

You know what, you're right. For some reason I was thinking of him over his career compared to others in the same time frame, more like never missing a start and stuff, nevermind.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)
You know what, you're right. For some reason I was thinking of him over his career compared to others in the same time frame, more like never missing a start and stuff, nevermind.

I don't know if this is supposed to be sarcastic, but Buehrle doesn't strike people out. It's the same reason Chien-Ming Wang is so low on the list too (though he will almost assuredly provide wins)

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
Link

Owens, Quentin hurting

By Dave van Dyck, 2:30 p.m.

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The White Sox have shut down outfielders Jerry Owens and Carlos Quentin for at least "a couple of days" because of injuries, according to manager Ozzie Guillen.

Owens, who has taken the early lead as leadoff man/center fielder, continues to be bothered by a nagging groin pull that has bothered him for several days.

"I don't like the way he was running the bases," Guillen said. "The key for him is his legs and we have to keep those legs fresh. ... There's no reason for him to go out there and hurt himself again. All of a sudden a minor injury could become a big injury. We learned that from having [scott] Podsednk. Pods would go from a little soreness to a big deal."

Quentin, acquired in an off-season trade with Arizona, is clearly falling behind this spring as he comes back from left shoulder surgery to repair labrum and rotator cuff tears. The soreness affects his swing more than his defense, though Guillen characterizes the situations as "not a big deal."

"This kid is going to be here for good and I think he was creating bad habits with his swing and it led to some soreness, but he'll be fine," Guillen said. "If it was the start of the season, he could play. But rather than have him push it and lose one more week, we are holding him back. I think it's the best for him.

"[He's] a workaholic. We have to monitor him real close, because he's different than other kids. But he bounces back real well from injuries. He's not hurt, he's just sore. But in the meanwhile, when you're sore and it's in the back of your mind, you create bad habits. This is to protect him."

Speed doesn't slump, it just gets injured.

We should have Cole Armstrong as our backup over Hall. Hall sucks, and Armstrong has looked good. Only problem is that they are both lefthanded. :/

What's a backup catcher's primary duties? Be good defensively, handle the pitchers well, and throw base runners out. The bat comes last, and last time I checked AJ batting right handed with one hand against lefties would be an upgrade over a torn labrum Hall.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 04:51 AM)
What's a backup catcher's primary duties? Be good defensively, handle the pitchers well, and throw base runners out. The bat comes last, and last time I checked AJ batting right handed with one hand against lefties would be an upgrade over a torn labrum Hall.

There are a few million reasons why Hall will make the team.

Cole's real first name is Melville BTW. He was a minor league rule 5 pick-up.

I like Mel Armstrong.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 08:38 AM)
There are a few million reasons why Hall will make the team.

Cole's real first name is Melville BTW. He was a minor league rule 5 pick-up.

I like Mel Armstrong.

Somehow I doubt the Sox will have a problem eating the $1.9M remaining on Hall's deal if they have a hunch that labrum is going to be a problem again this season. If he were making $6M you might have a point but

Just because Armstrong got a couple of hits this spring doesn't mean he's ready to step in... or would be better than a proven MLB catcher like Hall (when healthy).

Armstrong spent almost all of last year at Winston Salem. I'd like to see how he does in a full season above A-ball before we anoint him the Sox backup.

Also, in the TV game the other day he looked pretty poor on three stealing attempts. Bad throws on all of them. One allowing a run to score. Not impressed yet.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
Just because Armstrong got a couple of hits this spring doesn't mean he's ready to step in... or would be better than a proven MLB catcher like Hall (when healthy).

Armstrong spent almost all of last year at Winston Salem. I'd like to see how he does in a full season above A-ball before we anoint him the Sox backup.

Also, in the TV game the other day he looked pretty poor on three stealing attempts. Bad throws on all of them. One allowing a run to score. Not impressed yet.

Armstrong has been inconsistent in his minor league career. He had one very good season.

Lucy is more consistent but will never be spectacular offensively.

The good news - Lucy and Armstrong are good defenders. The bad news - I think either one of them will probably struggle a lot offensively their first year.