2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
I've been watching Cabrera defensively, and I'm not too impressed. He looks slow out there and his arm seems to have the strength of a little girl.

He looks so much slower than I remembered.

I would love Carlos to be a Sox. The odds of the cross town trade every happening are rare and who knows what type of pitcher he will be when his contract is up. I was always hoping Big Z was going to be a free agent this year (as opposed to resigning with the Cubs) because I thought the Sox would have considered making a very substantial offer to him.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 05:17 PM)
No comment on Zambrano wanting to be a White Sox? ;)

It would have been a bigger story if he hadn't just signed that extension. He probably wants to play with Ozzie, but by the time this deal's up, it's likely Ozzie won't be with the Sox anymore.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 11:38 AM)
It would have been a bigger story if he hadn't just signed that extension. He probably wants to play with Ozzie, but by the time this deal's up, it's likely Ozzie won't be with the Sox anymore.

That Ozzie is "likely" to be gone in a handful of years is quite the prediction considering his youth, success, and this franchise's affection for him, not to mention the fans'.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 05:54 PM)
That Ozzie is "likely" to be gone in a handful of years is quite the prediction considering his youth, success, and this franchise's affection for him, not to mention the fans'.

When Zambrano's existing contract expires, that would be the start of Ozzie's 10th year with the team. Very few managers make it that long with one particular team.

I wish I could say that Floyd's impressing me...but he looks as mediocre as always. No zip on his pitches. And please Ozzie, Owens better not be starting for this team. In case anyone missed it, he just dropped a fly ball.

Edited by fathom

I agree with you guys that he looked bad today and I absolutely have grown to hate Hawk for all the slurping he does. However, it is one outing and one of my resolutions for this year is to just sit back and enjoy baseball more as opposed to b****ing and moaning about every little thing that is out of my control.

Gavin has a good arm and has shown it with the Sox. He clearly didn't have his good stuff today, but that doesn't mean we should just write him off. Afterall, he's looked good in his other outings.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
Anyone who writes him off after today is an idiot. He looked brutal today. End of story.

I will also say I understand people who are skeptical and I think people have every right to be skeptical considering how much he failed in Philly. I think a lot of that was mental but that is just my personal belief. However, I don't need to see people say see I told you so after a f***ing spring training game....a spring training game (especially when all spring he has looked pretty good and Ozzie doesn't just go around throwing compliments because Kenny tells him to).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
Anyone who writes him off after today is an idiot. He looked brutal today. End of story.

I don't think anyone is writing off Floyd because of this outing. I think people who have written him off, like myself, wrote him off long ago, and today is just some icing on the cake, sort of like your post after Jerry Owens dropped a flyball.

Edited by Dick Allen

From Gammons:

• From another scout on the White Sox: "They're a much more energetic team than they were. Orlando Cabrera brings a lot of energy, so does Nick Swisher, and the Cuban second baseman, Alexei Ramirez, is the damndest player in Arizona. His energy is incredible. He's a wild man, all over the field, swings at everything, but he could be pretty good and a lot of fun to watch. John Danks has thrown the ball well, but they still have to decide whether or not to trade Joe Crede or Paul Konkerko. They have time for that."

I am very intrigued that you here the name Paul Konerko. The Sox could make a massive deal, which bolsters there rotation and fills CF (or 2B) by moving Konerko with the club than opening up a spot for both Josh Fields and Joe Crede. I know most wouldn't expect it, but if Kenny can't get what he wants for Crede he may end up deciding it is better to sell someone else who he could get a ransom for.

Richar has a lot of catching up to do, but I have liked what I've seen these past two days. He didn't get any hits today except for that bunt, but he had a couple real good AB's. Plus, his defense is still superb. I think he is catching up and fast.

I'd like to see Richar start at 2B. Have Ramirez just start at Charlotte at 2B, and have Uribe platoon with Richar and sub Cabrera until we can finally dump Uribe and replace him with Ramirez. My ideal opening day lineup:

1. Swisher LF (I hate using him in the one spot, but there aren't any better options. And if you count Owens you're crazy)

2. Cabrera, SS

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Dye, RF

6. Fields, 3B (this spot likely goes to Crede and KW will have Fields at AAA, which is freaking retarded)

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Anderson, CF (people know how I feel about him, but if my options are Owens and an injured Quentin, I gotta go with Anderson due to his defense)

9. Richar, 2B

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 09:30 PM)
Richar has a lot of catching up to do, but I have liked what I've seen these past two days. He didn't get any hits today except for that bunt, but he had a couple real good AB's. Plus, his defense is still superb. I think he is catching up and fast.

I'd like to see Richar start at 2B. Have Ramirez just start at Charlotte at 2B, and have Uribe platoon with Richar and sub Cabrera until we can finally dump Uribe and replace him with Ramirez. My ideal opening day lineup:

1. Swisher LF (I hate using him in the one spot, but there aren't any better options. And if you count Owens you're crazy)

2. Cabrera, SS

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Dye, RF

6. Fields, 3B (this spot likely goes to Crede and KW will have Fields at AAA, which is freaking retarded)

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Anderson, CF (people know how I feel about him, but if my options are Owens and an injured Quentin, I gotta go with Anderson due to his defense)

9. Richar, 2B

Why? He's having a great spring when he's in the lineup. Anderson's having a great spring too - would you discount his numbers like you're discounting Owens'?

On Mike and Mike this morning they were talking about Ozzie saying if he is not getting the job done they should just fire him and not pay him.I know he has said this in the past but they were talking about it as if he had made new comments.Is there anything new that I missed?

QUOTE(shipps @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 06:55 AM)
On Mike and Mike this morning they were talking about Ozzie saying if he is not getting the job done they should just fire him and not pay him.I know he has said this in the past but they were talking about it as if he had made new comments.Is there anything new that I missed?

What Mike and Mike said.

Ozzie was saying he doesn't want his long term deal and the fact that the Sox would have to pay him if they we're to fire him, to be the reason he is still around if the team blows. He claimed he would go to Jerry and tell him to rip up his deal.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 12:11 AM)
Why? He's having a great spring when he's in the lineup. Anderson's having a great spring too - would you discount his numbers like you're discounting Owens'?

Great spring my ass. His horrible defense to go along with his noodle arm has cost us more runs then he has scored this spring. Plus, I think it's safe to say my dog might have a better swing then Owens. He has looked terrible at bat this spring. He accidently got a triple on sunday, and today he probably got some weak singles somewhere, but he did K twice.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 10:49 PM)
Great spring my ass. His horrible defense to go along with his noodle arm has cost us more runs then he has scored this spring. Plus, I think it's safe to say my dog might have a better swing then Owens. He has looked terrible at bat this spring. He accidently got a triple on sunday, and today he probably got some weak singles somewhere, but he did K twice.

:lol:

"accidental" triple

"weak" singles

But he K'd twice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And your "dog" can swing better

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)

Mr. BearSox, what you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

''I told my family and my friends that before my career ends, I want to play for the White Sox. Right now, my priority is helping this club. That's what I am trying to do. But I used to be, when I was growing up, I was a White Sox fan. But every time I say that, the Chicago Cubs fans get jealous and pissed off.''

anyone see this from big Z? it was in the suntimes a few days ago

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cu...oxcub16.article