Heads22

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Cali @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
Okay there's definately such a thing as taking a bad photo, but GOOD LORD:

ph_346874.jpg

Thats this years mugshot. He looks like he's like a few cheeseburgers away from 270....

Snacks and Cakes will waddle out to 2nd this year. He is the Aretha Franklin of 2nd baseman.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)

That is something we can agree on Keith. Hell, I'd probably carrying three backup outfielders too, knowing that if the team slugs themselves to a lead you can throw in Anderson/Quentin/Owens out there. Plus given Thome's weakness against LHP, you could DH Bonds when the Sox play lefties and throw Quentin into LF (obviously you'd rather have him play RF, but Dye is there defensively, whether we like it or not) who mashes LHP.

You also know that you'll have AB's to go around as Swisher will be able to play some games at first and you can obviously use that depth with Quentin/Anderson to make sure Dye/Bonds/Thome get ample rest (which is something you should do).

Really this could be perfect. Anderson is a stellar defensive replacment while Quentin gets a ton of at bats as a backup (400 AB's is great for him and could really get him in a position where you pencil him in and have him replace Bonds a year from now). Plus, like it or not, the Sox would sell the s*** out of tickets (although for all the wrong reasons in most fans minds).

QUOTE(Cali @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 03:23 AM)
Okay there's definately such a thing as taking a bad photo, but GOOD LORD:

ph_346874.jpg

Thats this years mugshot. He looks like he's like a few cheeseburgers away from 270....

Relax... It's all muscle :ph34r:

Aaron Poreda had 3Ks in 2IP in a B game against the Rockies yesterday.

Ozzie had this to say about him.

If it was my decision, believe me, I would bring him up here right away. That's a real No. 1 guy. You will see him pretty soon here.

Keith Law had some tidbits on 3 White Sox. I'm not a fan of Law but he was employed for several years by the Blue Jays as an assistant GM. He thinks Ramirez can hit for a decent average with 20 homer potential, but feels his OBP will be extremely low and compared him to BJ Upton now an OFer I believe, defensively at 2B. He says he's a lot like Soriano, but lacks Soriano's explosiveness and has even less plate discipline than him. He said Gavin Floyd's stuff has gone backwards, that his curveball, once deemed as one of the best is now just "solid" average. His fastball is 91-93, with little command, and says his change isn't anything special. He likes Josh Fields but says his pitch recognition is still lacking which will keep his walk rate down and well keeping his strikeouts up, and says he doesn't have the defensive capabilities to fall back on. All in all, pretty harsh. I still don't know how you judge anybody at this stage, and obviously Law didn't talk to the 29 teams KW mentioned who would love to have Floyd, and that most people in the industry, according to him, view him as a top of the rotation starter.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:07 AM)
Keith Law had some tidbits on 3 White Sox. I'm not a fan of Law but he was employed for several years by the Blue Jays as an assistant GM. He thinks Ramirez can hit for a decent average with 20 homer potential, but feels his OBP will be extremely low and compared him to BJ Upton now an OFer I believe, defensively at 2B. He says he's a lot like Soriano, but lacks Soriano's explosiveness and has even less plate discipline than him. He said Gavin Floyd's stuff has gone backwards, that his curveball, once deemed as one of the best is now just "solid" average. His fastball is 91-93, with little command, and says his change isn't anything special. He likes Josh Fields but says his pitch recognition is still lacking which will keep his walk rate down and well keeping his strikeouts up, and says he doesn't have the defensive capabilities to fall back on. All in all, pretty harsh. I still don't know how you judge anybody at this stage, and obviously Law didn't talk to the 29 teams KW mentioned who would love to have Floyd, and that most people in the industry, according to him, view him as a top of the rotation starter.

I'd like to know where he got his intel to make those judgements.

Does anyone think he has actually developed these opinions based on what he has SEEN?

I doubt it since Floyd has only pitched twice this spring; and Alexei has played so little at 2B.

Opinions without observations = hearsay. But it's stated as if it had authority. That's why I hate so much of the stupid 'expert' blogger crap... and am so skeptical of it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:07 AM)

Keith Law also said that Fields can hit the fastball and can't hit the breaking pitch, which is exactly the opposite of what we saw last year. He could hit the breaking pitch fine, he had a hard time with fastballs above the belt. Then again, he is making assessments from a game he sees that day. I doubt if he is putting a lot of detail into his analysis of the team for this year. He is taking a quick peek from a scouts eye view and then reporting it.

Edited by southsideirish71

This has nothing to do with AJP perhaps getting mad at Steve Stone this season.

But I was wondering ... if the Sox do stink again, do you think this is the year AJP acts up or will he continue to be a model player with the Sox?

Remember how in the past he supposedly had trouble with his Giants teammates, etc?

I like AJP but I wonder if we suck he'll be wanting to get out of town and act up so KW trades him.

Bold talk from White Sox GM Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen is practically a rite of spring. But Joey Cora, the White Sox's normally reserved bench coach, is also bullish about the team's chances.

Williams targeted fiery, tough-minded players after the Sox's 72-90 finish last season, and Cora predicts that new center fielder Nick Swisher and shortstop Orlando Cabrera will make a huge difference.

"We're going to be better than everyone thinks — you can quote me," Cora says. "Those two guys bring some attitude to the ballclub. They're not going to let anything slip. It seems like everyone is going to hate us. We're going to play very, very hard."

To picture the White Sox contending, one need only imagine the Tigers' bullpen issues festering and the Indians' bullpen regressing from its near-peak performance last season. Both the Tigers and Indians also have rotation concerns, but let's not get carried away: The White Sox's pitching isn't necessarily in better shape.

Their bullpen remains an open question, even after — or maybe especially after — Williams' combined $30 million investment in Octavio Dotel and Scott Linebrink. And for the rotation to succeed, the White Sox need Jose Contreras to revive and both John Danks and Gavin Floyd to perform to Williams' expectations.

If all that happens, the Sox's confidence will prove justified.

Does anyone else find themselves watching the 05 post season DVD's as a way of getting psyched for the season?

I have, and what's really striking to me is how many BIG breaks went the Sox way on their run. I guess you sort of forget. Not that they didn't play great or deserve the title, but damn, lady luck was definitely smiling on them.

*The Graffanino boot that led to the go ahead 3-run dinger

*AJ's infamous strike three that set up the winning hit

*Dye awarded first on a foul ball that set up the slam by Kong

Amazing

I hope Rotoworld's not right here;

Jerry Owens has been cleared to play as an MRI revealed no abnormalities in his groin.

Owens is to play in a "B" game Saturday against Colorado. He will lead off for the White Sox this year and expects to be ready for Opening Day.

Poreda had another very nice outing in the 'B' game on Saturday

"Aaron Poreda, the team's top pick in the 2007 First-Year Player Draft, continued to impress with three scoreless innings in relief. The big left-hander yielded two hits and fanned five, including Todd Helton looking."

Also... Carlos Quentin got two hits.

Carlos Zambrano in the Suntimes:

''I told my family and my friends that before my career ends, I want to play for the White Sox. Right now, my priority is helping this club. That's what I am trying to do. But I used to be, when I was growing up, I was a White Sox fan. But every time I say that, the Chicago Cubs fans get jealous and pissed off.''

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)

''I told my family and my friends that before my career ends, I want to play for the White Sox. Right now, my priority is helping this club. That's what I am trying to do. But I used to be, when I was growing up, I was a White Sox fan. But every time I say that, the Chicago Cubs fans get jealous and pissed off.''

LMAO!!!! That is going to turn the Cubs faithful on him in a hurry if he starts off slow

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 08:31 AM)

That is suprising to hear from him,I hope he never gets his wish.Unless he matures in the next couple of years in a big way.If not ,no way.