2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 02:27 AM)
I don't know if this is supposed to be sarcastic, but Buehrle doesn't strike people out. It's the same reason Chien-Ming Wang is so low on the list too (though he will almost assuredly provide wins)

No I was serious. That's why I said it was my mistake. I just thought career instead of 07.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 04:51 AM)
What's a backup catcher's primary duties? Be good defensively, handle the pitchers well, and throw base runners out. The bat comes last, and last time I checked AJ batting right handed with one hand against lefties would be an upgrade over a torn labrum Hall.

Hey, all I am saying is that you generally want your backup catcher to be batting on the opposite side of the plate as your primary catcher. This complements him.

Hall update...

Throwing program: Reserve catcher Toby Hall made throws to second Thursday as part of his ongoing work geared toward getting into game action by no later than the last two weeks of the Cactus League season. While Hall admits he wasn't throwing at full speed, he still isn't worried about his shoulder preventing him from breaking camp with the White Sox.

"Yeah, it would be a different story if I couldn't hit and swing," said Hall, who hopes to be in at least "B" games by the start of next week. "I'm just getting game ready to go and catch. I might have three weeks of doing this same program, as long as I get up to game speed and continue to follow the program. I just have to be patient.

"I can go in and DH right now, but I didn't sign here to DH. We still are shooting for the last two weeks to go play every day somewhere and get the at-bats."

Edited by scenario

For people looking at the two new bullpen arms we acquired - Linebrink and Dotel - you may be a bit disappointed in their performances in ST thus far. So let's add some perspective. Turns out that Mr. Dotel never does well in ST - in fact he pretty much always stinks. So I wouldn't worry too much about his ST numbers. On the other hand, Mr. Linebrink is a bit inconsistent, doing well some years and poorly others. But overall, he does reasonably well.

Of course, they've only pitched a combined 5 innings so far, so its probably not worth investing much into yet anyway. But when ST is done, you can keep in mind how these two usually do in March.

From whitesox.com...

Thursday morning's "B" game at Hi Corbett allowed White Sox pitching prospects Aaron Poreda and Kyle McCulloch the chance to work against Colorado's front-line Major Leaguers such as Todd Helton, Brad Hawpe, Marcus Giles and Clint Barmes.

Aaron Poreda

Although many of those Colorado veterans were out of the game by the time Poreda took the mound, the White top pick from the 2007 First-Year Player Draft still earned solid reviews. He gave up one hit in one inning, striking out two.

"Poreda threw very well," said White Sox pitching Don Cooper of the big left-hander, who possesses a fastball that has been known to max out in the high 90s. "He has arm strength and threw good sliders and changeups.

"He's going to have enough physical stuff to pitch in the Majors, that's for sure. And I'll tell you what, the slider spins right and the changeup does what it's supposed to do. It's just a matter of continuing to develop and being consistent."

Kyle McCulloch

McCulloch, the White Sox top pick in the 2006 First-Year Player Draft, was touched up for two earned runs in one inning, fanning one.

Cole Armstrong

Further results: Cole Armstrong, who has impressed the White Sox brass through the early stages of camp, homered during "B" game action off of Rockies closer Manny Corpas.

Matt Anderson

Matt Anderson, the one-time hard-throwing closer for the Tigers who agreed to a Minor League deal with the White Sox this spring, gave up one hit over one scoreless inning.

"I don't know what his velocity was, but he had enough velocity," said Cooper of the right-hander, who last pitched for Colorado during the 2005 season. "He was a bit erratic at times.

"When he throws a dynamite pitch over the plate, it's a quality Major League pitch -- whether it be a fastball or a slider. So now, the work is to be more consistent with his physical stuff."

Also...

Alexei Ramirez got two more hits.

Andy Sisco threw two solid innings and didn't give up any runs.

Well, I defended Richar when he missed some time due to the Visa issue, but now it seems like he's officially writing a ticket to the minors.

And the newest concern is a setback Danny Richar suffered with his back.

Richar is one of three candidates competing for the vacancy at second base and was already a week behind because of visa problems early in camp. He hurt his back playing winter ball and seemed to aggravate it slightly when he got to camp, but he played in several Cactus League games the last week without any problems. That changed Wednesday, when he reinjured the back during a 2-for-3 performance against the Colorado Rockies.

''He's got this back problem, and this was a guy that was already behind,'' Guillen said. ''We'll see. Hopefully he can bounce back and not fall too far behind.''

As it stands, Juan Uribe has emerged as the leading candidate for the second-base job.

Rookie Alexei Ramirez started his first game at second in a B-game Thursday and performed well. Guillen, however, still sees a ''kid that is very raw'' after playing mostly shortstop in Cuba.

Also, Floyd was scratched yesterday because of the Flu and Linebrinks' had a few days of migraines.

We might be seeing Brian Anderson as a reserve OF'er after all. I have noted he has thrown out at least two base runners ths spring. He seems to be hitting the ball pretty good too. Uribe could be our 2bman?! Maybe?

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
We might be seeing Brian Anderson as a reserve OF'er after all. I have noted he has thrown out at least two base runners ths spring. He seems to be hitting the ball pretty good too. Uribe could be our 2bman?! Maybe?

I think the only way BA comes north in April is if someone in the outfield is still injured at that point. Even then, its unlikely.

I also think that Richar is fading fast for the 2B spot. That leaves Uribe and Ramirez to battle for the spot. If Richar is in AAA come April, that means both Uribe and Ramirez are on the 25-man roster - one as a 2B, the other as a utility IF.

Seems like the bench might be shaping up as:

Owens/Quentin (whichever doesn't get the LF job)

Ozuna

Hall

Ramirez/Uribe (whichever doesn't get the 2B job)

With Richar going to AAA. That's not a bad bench, if Hall is healthy enough to be near-normal. If he's not, then you might see him released and Lucy or Armstrong taking that slot.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 09:49 AM)
Not that it really matters... but I believe Andy Sisco is out of options. (He was first put on a 40-man roster in 2005 with KC.)

I'm fairly certain he actually has 1 left, although I'm not sure why. I've been pretty much convinced that the only 2 guys we have remaining to worry about are Masset and Floyd.