Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow should be a formality for the LSU/OK-State winner. Either team shouldn't have much trouble with Marquette.

I'm so sick of the drooling over our defense. I don't give a damn about all the steals, we gave up 60+ points AGAIN. We're wild on defense. Sure we rack up the steals but when you combine the lack of rebounding with the tendency to be overaggressive, you have a very average defensive team.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:27 PM)
Tomorrow should be a formality for the LSU/OK-State winner. Either team shouldn't have much trouble with Marquette.

I'm so sick of the drooling over our defense. I don't give a damn about all the steals, we gave up 60+ points AGAIN. We're wild on defense. Sure we rack up the steals but when you combine the lack of rebounding with the tendency to be overaggressive, you have a very average defensive team.

Something I've noticed in their box scores in their astonishing lack of assists. They're averaging less than 10 assists a game. Is this just because no one can make a shot off of a pass?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:22 PM)
The best game on the ESPN networks so far today is Michigan State-Missouri. 2 point game with 4+ to go. Best part- it's on ESPNU. The only game of the tourneys they aren't showing on ESPN2. Thanks guys.

Yeah, they showed it in bonus coverage, but that didn't last long. I'm pretty upset about not being able to watch the ending of it..

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
I don't know a whole lot about UofI, but is Jeffrey Jordan playing for any other reason than the name on his back? Isn't he basically a freshman walk-on? I can't recall the last time I saw a freshman walkon get meaningful minutes.

MJ is in attendance. It would be best not to upset the God of basketball.

I wouldn't read a ton into it. The game has been in hand the entire time and we're playing everybody. No biggie.

This team looked really solid tonight. Really nice to see.

I will now go knock on wood for Brian Randle and his groin, like I do every night before bed.

Impressive performance by the Illini, although when you consider it was Arizona State's maiden voyage this year and they start 3 freshman, you SHOULD do that. I think ASU has a lot of talent though, that is a win that could look better and better as the season goes on. It was nice to get a win that easily too, ease the minutes burden on the players and help avoid fatigue (hopefully) with 3 games in 3 days. I think this team could be the best one yet defensively for Illinois under Bruce when you consider the depth and athletic ability, and in fact I think this team could prove me wrong and go back to the NCAA Tourney IF Brian Randle stays healthy, especially when you consider how down the Big 10 is this year.

The Illini game pretty much solidified my opinion of the team thus far:

1. Meachum is a waste - McCamey should be starting. Without looking at the stats I'd imagine McCamey played more minutes total, but really it should be a no-brainer at this point. Meachum simply cannot do anything but pass and shoot when he's wide open (and even then he's only average).

2. McCamey is going to be good. He's already a good passer, I can't wait until he gets the "basketball smarts" to go with it.

3. If Randle can play like that every night, this team will contend for the Big Ten title. He doesn't need to be a focal point, he just needs to pick up some hustle baskets and put backs and stay out of foul trouble. His defense has always been excellent. I think the ESPN guys last night pretty much nailed it - when Randle plays significant minutes, the team wins.

4. Sean Pruitt has a good chance to play in the NBA (admittedly this one I wasn't sure about). It's tough to gauge his offensive skills as he didn't get the ball a ton, but when he did he scored more often than not. He has good footwork and is incredibly strong. This year it looks like he's also brought passing to his game. I'm encouraged about his potential this season.

5. Cole and Tisdale are raw, but I think they're going to be really good in another season or two.

6. The rest of the bench is...in a word...scary. Jordan, as much as I want him to suddenly become his dad, looks like me out on the court, minus the freakish athletic ability. He obviously took the physical genes from his dad, but not the mental. Hopefully Bruce can work with him over the next few years and make him a serviceable sub. Carwell - what happened to this kid? Oden called him his best opponent back in high school. I thought he was such a huge get for the program, but man is he terrible. Unfortunately he looks like a kid who's going through the motions and doesn't care about being a good player.

7. R. Alexander - welcome to the big time. He's got it all - good shot, good driving skills, good finishing skills. I'm liking what I see from him.

8. Chester Frazier has gotten so much better over the last 1.5 seasons. He runs the offense well, plays some good D and nailed some big shots. That's two games in a row he's shot well. That's a very good sign going forward.

I think that's all. Tonights game should be interesting. I think we've got a good shot of knocking off Duke but we'll have to continue to play some good D. I also hope the switch from playing the zone to playing man won't hurt our offense too much. It'll be a totally different game tonight.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 05:07 AM)
I don't know a whole lot about UofI, but is Jeffrey Jordan playing for any other reason than the name on his back? Isn't he basically a freshman walk-on? I can't recall the last time I saw a freshman walkon get meaningful minutes.

it's been widely reported that jordan is expected to see some time this year. illinois's lack of guard depth is the main reason, but those who have seen practices and preseason games say that his ability has been a pleasant surprise.