Juan Uribe Placed on Waivers

flavum

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
Uribe actually to my eyes at least makes some sense for the Dodgers just based on his style of play...as the Dodgers have been pretty limited on power out of most of their positions the last few years and have had to rely on hits and manufacturing runs. Even though Uribe may not produce in the OBP/BA departments, he would be a right handed powerful bat, and that would be a fit for them.

I also thought the comment about LA looking for someone that can also play 2nd was interesting. Uribe can probably play anywhere in the infield.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only inkling I had that Juan might be a goner is when Ozzie made some unusually critical comments about him when talking about what the starting lineup would be.

He said something to the effect of: Uribe's a great spring training player, but then the season comes and he becomes a different player.

Ouch. Not sure what the entire backstory is on that, but to call out one of your vets like that? Writing was on the wall...

QUOTE(Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
Cesar Izturis was out there and I'm sure there were other options as well. It's not like any of those names you mentioned would be our starting SS.

Regarding the second part, lets say that happens and we start the season around the horn as Fields-Ramirez-Richar-Konerko with an OF of Quentin-Anderson-Dye and Owens as the 4th OF. Then, instead of trading for Swisher, we put together a deal for Blanton and go into the season with Buehrle-Vazquez-Garland-Blanton-Contreras/Danks. Same bullpen, but with a bench of Hall, Owens, Bourgeois, Ozuna. That's a much better team IMO.

Swisher is a stud on and off the field. No way the Sox would be better off without him. He'll put up monster numbers in 2008 and beyond for the ChiSox.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 02:20 AM)
Are you kidding? What an absolutely stupid comment.

no, i think it's more stupid to continue to piss and moan over uribe's presence on the team. yes, he's overpaid and yes he represents a mistake. but i'm not going to sit here crying about it repeatedly, particularly at a time when our second base situation looks tenuous at best.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 09:45 PM)
no, i think it's more stupid to continue to piss and moan over uribe's presence on the team. yes, he's overpaid and yes he represents a mistake. but i'm not going to sit here crying about it repeatedly, particularly at a time when our second base situation looks tenuous at best.

Look everyone, Uribe is not *that* overpaid compared to many, many other players in baseball. He brings pretty solid defense along with some power. What other categories are there? Speed and a good batting average, right? How much do you think a SS/2B with all 4 of those attributes would make a season? Yes, that's right, well over $10M (see: Chase Utley, who has a 7 year $85M contract). So he has 2 of the 4 and we're paying him under $5M. Like him or hate him, that's reasonable.

Or let's say you want to include on base percentage as a 5th category. Juan doesn't provide that at all, so he's got 2 out of 5. You figure someone like Utley that gives you all 5 makes $12M a year, that's $2.4M a category. So Juan should be making $4.8M since he provides good defense and power. Quit your b****ing everyone.

If Uribe plays everyday he's going to probably hit around .240-.260, with in the neighborhood of 20 jacks and about 60-80 RBI, depending on how the hitters around him perform. That's not really that bad.

Edited by lvjeremylv

Um, how is my disappointment that the Sox lost 4.5 million on him based on his DFA b****ing and moaning about Uribe being on the team? It's the OPPOSITE, and I think that should be clear as day to see. A stupid comment indeed.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
Um, how is my disappointment that the Sox lost 4.5 million on him based on his DFA b****ing and moaning about Uribe being on the team? It's the OPPOSITE, and I think that should be clear as day to see. A stupid comment indeed.

He wasn't DFA'd. In fact, if the report today is true, and somebody claimed him, KW didn't want to give him away and save the money. He wants a player back.

If Richar is out, don't we need to keep Uribe to play second base?

Can't imagine going into the season with only Ramirez and Ozuna at 2B. That's a disaster waiting to bring Robbie Alomar out of retirement.

Plus need Juan around to give Cabrera some time off now and then.

Mike Shouse ain't the answer.

He wasn't DFA'd. In fact, if the report today is true, and somebody claimed him, KW didn't want to give him away and save the money. He wants a player back.

That's fine. I was going on the principle AND the fact that ATM the topic title still states he was DFA.

I don't get how everybody thinks having Ramirez at second is going to be a disaster. The dude's exciting as hell out there. I understand his D needs a little work at 2nd...but damn. Personally I'd have no problem starting the year with him as our 2nd baseman batting leadoff. I know everybody's gonna say..."yeah..it's only ST. He hasn't the experience. It's too much pressure." But the guy has seemed to handle everything pretty well from day 1 and remember...it's not like he's 21 years old. I think surviving life in general, living in Cuba is about as tough as it could get...so I really don't have much doubt about him handling it. He needs to play.... A LOT. And I rather have him at 2nd everyday instead of jack of all trades, master of none floating all over the field every other day. He's one of the most exciting players the Sox have come across in quite a while...PLAY HIM!

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...0,7375919.story

Ramirez can call himself a White Sox

Guillen says Cuban has made the team

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune reporter

March 20, 2008, 11:19 PM CDT

PHOENIX -- Juan Uribe remained on the White Sox roster Thursday, but Alexei Ramirez's status appears more secure.

"Is he on the roster? Yes," manager Ozzie Guillen said of Ramirez, 26, who has impressed the Sox in his first major-league camp since leaving Cuba. "The thing is: How many games can he play? We're going to sit down and see how many at-bats he can get. Whether it's at second base, not second base, everything is about playing time.

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 12:29 AM)
Just sayin. Of course its time to move on but let us not forget.

People are quick to forget the great things players did in the past. That 9th inning in Houston, Uribe made 2 of the finest plays you'll ever see a player make, and did it on the biggest stage in sports. For that, I'll always have fond memories of him, and any real Sox fan should feel the same.

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 12:43 AM)
People are quick to forget the great things players did in the past. That 9th inning in Houston, Uribe made 2 of the finest plays you'll ever see a player make, and did it on the biggest stage in sports. For that, I'll always have fond memories of him, and any real Sox fan should feel the same.

Pods hit a game winning home run, Blumm hit a great clutch homer, Willie Harris scored the winning run. All great things, and clutch at the time. I have that forever on my WS DVD. On the other hand, I don't want any of them on the 2008 white sox. Its one thing to be sentimental, but some people get so attached that think that they can rekindle the magic over and over.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
I am just wondering if there is a chance for Bourgeois to get shot for 2b?

That was my thought as well.

Bourgeois is a switch hitter I think? (might be wrong).

So you could maybe have a situation where you have Ozuna and Bourgeois platoon at 2nd, and then you work Ramirez in there a little, and also at SS and CF (as the mega utility man).

Uribe to the O's is still what I see happening. Although teams such as the Royals, Dodgers etc. could have some interest.

And that's if we don't trade for either Ellis or Roberts. So a lot of scenarios still in play here.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 08:49 AM)
That was my thought as well.

Bourgeois is a switch hitter I think? (might be wrong).

So you could maybe have a situation where you have Ozuna and Bourgeois platoon at 2nd, and then you work Ramirez in there a little, and also at SS and CF (as the mega utility man).

Uribe to the O's is still what I see happening. Although teams such as the Royals, Dodgers etc. could have some interest.

And that's if we don't trade for either Ellis or Roberts. So a lot of scenarios still in play here.

With as raw as A-ram is, he's still a better fielder than Bourgeois.

Alexei Ramirez at 2B in 2008 is going to be exciting as hell. The Sox very well could have the next Alfonso Soriano, who wasn't much younger than Alexei when he made his big league debut as an undersized, poorly fielding 2B who smacked the hell out of the ball and ran like the wind.

I really hope Alexei can be quite productive.