2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really cannot believe the Cubs made Kerry Wood an important part of their team this year. Cubs fans should be rioting if Marmol doesn't get slotted into the closers role ASAP. (this is the edit: to be fair he did have a great '03 that helped propel them to the NLCS, 5 outs of the WS)

WTF is it with the Cubs and Wood? He had an awesome rookie season and a 20k game, that was roughly 10 years ago. The smartest thing The Cubs did last year was not count on him and Prior and anything they gave them would be gravy, then in the offseason they make him their closer?!??!

Edited by SoxFan562004

wow i was following the game on gameday in the library....went to go get a coke, in the bottom of the 8th...came back to see the final...beautiful...sounds like pineilla had some gems after the game too

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 1, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)
wow i was following the game on gameday in the library....went to go get a coke, in the bottom of the 8th...came back to see the final...beautiful...sounds like pineilla had some gems after the game too

I read WGN had a replay of him flipping a water cooler over after Braun's double. Just reading the play-by-play seems that Soriano and Fukudome should of had both those balls (Note: I have not seen the plays, just going off what the "in the cubicle" from chicagosports.com said)

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 1, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)
I read WGN had a replay of him flipping a water cooler over after Braun's double. Just reading the play-by-play seems that Soriano and Fukudome should of had both those balls (Note: I have not seen the plays, just going off what the "in the cubicle" from chicagosports.com said)

ive been listening to the score and am1000 and it sounds like they shoulda gotten to em...especially soriano

The difference between the two is that the ball hit to Soriano was a flyball that hung in the air a while whereas the ball hit by Braun was a line drive that he absolutely scalded. If Soriano had anything for baseball instincts on defense, he would have been under that ball; really was no excuse for him not to be there.

Dear Lou,

Your cute little blowing up at ump/media/farm animal in order to motivate your team has gotten old.

How many Sox games this season alone have been lost painfully or in the late innings where Ozzie has kept his cool afterwards? Bud Selig should prohibit this man from managing because he will give himself a heart attack sooner rather than later. I thought Dusty was cool. Not a big Lou fan.

Ryan Braun had a glorious postgame comment. Called cubs fans obnoxious.

Edited by ChiSox35

Lou is in a bad spot with that bullpen. Two of his three late game relievers (Wood and Howry) have been very bad this year. Realistically, he is using Marmol properly because Marmol is coming into tough spots (like today, got out of a 1st and 3rd 1 out he inherited) and getting 5 or 6 tough outs instead of the 3 you get from you closer, however losing games in the 9th is just such a ball buster for a team. He could move Marmol to closer, but right now he doesn't really have anyone, let alone 2 or 3 guys, that can build the bridge to Marmol, so the ball would never get to #49.

Anyways, the Brewers win 2 of 3 at Wrigley and went 4-2 there in this first month. They only play the Cubs one more time until mid September (a 4 game series at Miller Park the last 4 days of July), and only have one three game series left at Wrigley. With Cameron, Sheets, and Gallardo healthy combined with their experience last year, the Brewers are the better team. The problem is, the odds of those guys staything healthy the rest of the year aren't good.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually think that Wood is likely to develop into a good closer. I think he's perfect for it, and have been saying so for a couple years now. He needs time to adjust of course, but by the 2nd half of the year, I'm thinking he'll be pretty decent.

Until he gets to that point though, maybe best to flip Marmol and Wood at least some of the time. Pitch Wood in the 8th, Marmol in the 9th - until Wood gets situated.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 2, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually think that Wood is likely to develop into a good closer. I think he's perfect for it, and have been saying so for a couple years now. He needs time to adjust of course, but by the 2nd half of the year, I'm thinking he'll be pretty decent.

Until he gets to that point though, maybe best to flip Marmol and Wood at least some of the time. Pitch Wood in the 8th, Marmol in the 9th - until Wood gets situated.

Wood as a reliever is actually a horrible fit stats wise. Throughout his career, the one consistent thing about Wood has been he struggles in the first 25-30 pitches of his outings because it takes him time to find his bearings, and he struggles with control. That's a stat that been true throughout his decade or so in the majors, and when you've been around that long, the stats don't lie.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 2, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
Wood as a reliever is actually a horrible fit stats wise. Throughout his career, the one consistent thing about Wood has been he struggles in the first 25-30 pitches of his outings because it takes him time to find his bearings, and he struggles with control. That's a stat that been true throughout his decade or so in the majors, and when you've been around that long, the stats don't lie.

where can you find that stat?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 2, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
where can you find that stat?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/pspli...e02&year=00

It's generally pretty even throughout, but he is most definitely worse in his first 25 pitches with a .709 OPS opposed to the next highest of .690.

I just don't think he'll be that good because I don't think his stuff is as good as it used to be. He's a shell of his former self. The fact that he can still rush it up there are even 94 is amazing seeing as how many surgeries and whatever else he's had.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 2, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
So he did.Didnt he still pitch after the injury?

Yes, 1 more inning, I think.

Supposedly the Brewers' doctor said it couldn't have done any more damage. Basically said torn is torn, you're not gonna hurt it more.