Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

After seeing the replay on ESPN. There wasn't much of a foul. If you are gonna foul him, foul him. The ref was blocked off right there. Than Dallas only b****es because Carmelo made the 3.

Shame on NBA for not backing the refs in this situation when they usually do, unless they are caught betting on games.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Yao, but the are Rockets up 23 in the 3rd on the Lakers. Didn't see that coming.

Words can't express how much I loved seeing the Nuggets beat the Mavs yesterday. Just a great end to that game. 

Edited by Ron

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 10, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)
Hard to believe about half of NBA fans compared Lebron and Carmelo back in 2003.

It was at least kind of justified. Melo basically put Syracuse on his back and won a national championship, LeBron was infinitely ahead of anyone in his age group in high school, but never got to face a higher level of competition like Melo.

It looks kind of ridiculous now, and thats not to say Melo is a bad player at all, its just that LeBron is that damn great

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 10, 2009 -> 09:50 PM)
Glen Davis just shot a buzzer beater to win by 1. Series tied at 2. What a shot.

Then pushes a little kid out of the way afterwards. It may of been clutch, but I still highly dislike him. (not because of pushing the kid, but because he's Glen Davis)

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 10, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)
Then pushes a little kid out of the way afterwards. It may of been clutch, but I still highly dislike him. (not because of pushing the kid, but because he's Glen Davis)

I liked him in college but hate him now because of that haircut.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 10, 2009 -> 10:09 PM)

Ditto. He's got a "punch me" face.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 10, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
Hard to believe about half of NBA fans compared Lebron and Carmelo back in 2003.

Because Carmelo WAS better than Lebron in their rookie years.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 11, 2009 -> 04:50 PM)
Because Carmelo WAS better than Lebron in their rookie years.

I don't want to take the bait. but....

you can look at their profiles for reference:

03-04 Carmelo http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=1975

03-04 Lebron http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=1966

You can look at the close race in scoring and rebounds, but Lebron dominated him in assists. (5.9-2.8) . What is an assist worth to you? I would say it is fair argument that an assist is worth at least 2 points in terms of production, which would mean Lebron helped produce over 6 more points a game. Carmelo edged Lebron in scoring 21.0- 20.9 and rebounds 6.0-5.5. But neither of those account for 6 points in production. I'll give you 0.1 and however you want to value rebounds, since rebounds don't always mean automatic points (like assists) I don't think you can value a rebound equally with an assist. Free Throws (77-75%) and Field Goal percentage (42-41%) edged by Carmelo. Lebron edged in blocks (0.7-0.5) and steals (1.6-1.2) . Notice Lebron has nearly a half steal edge on Melo, that should make up for the edge melo had on turnovers 3.5 for James and 3.0 for Melo.

I know you will bring up production per 48 mins or just bring up minutes in general. Lebron averaged 3 more minutes a game than Melo. Even with that 3 minutes put into play, I don't know where Melo can make up for 6 points of production.

I know you might bring up Cleveland's record (35-47) to Denver (43-39)

a few points:

Five rings does not make Steve Kerr a better player than Patrick Ewing,Karl Malone,John Stockton or Charles Barkley.

I think it is fair to say Denver would have had a smilar if not better record WITH Lebron instead of Carmelo. Carmelo had Andre Miller,Marcus Camby and Nene who were all solid players. I will admit Boykins and Leonard were garbage.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/DEN/2004.html

Lebron had Boozer(his 2nd year) and Z, that's it.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2004.html

also something to think about...

who was better 18 year old Kobe or 19 year old kobe? What body age is more built to compete with MEN?

Kobe doubled his scoring average when he was 19(7.6-15.4), without exactly doubling his minutes (15.5-26.0). You can look at KG, Tmac anyone you want who would fit that example.

Carmelo has a half year year on Lebron. That's big when you are comparing an 18 year old to 19 year old.

Carmelo got off to a great start in his career with his rookie campaign, no doubt. To compare 19 year old Carmelo, and 18 year old James is ludicrous because no one ever did what James did at 18. What Carmelo did was impressive, but less impressive than James. What Carmelo did at 19 was nothing new.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 11, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
You don't think 1 year of college grooming helps one's development?

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 11, 2009 -> 11:00 PM)
Kind of disappointing that you would look over my post filled with facts and try to s*** on it with one sentence. I thought you were better than that.

You're argument was great up until that point. It REALLY soured on me with that statement. What the hell does that mean? Is it Carmelo's fault he decided to go to college instead of come out right away? You said 6 months is a big difference, which is a broad statement. Be more specific. You should have said (which was obvious, no doubt) that a year of college really paid off for Carmelo where as Lebron was coming straight out of high school.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 11, 2009 -> 09:26 PM)
You're argument was great up until that point. It REALLY soured on me with that statement. What the hell does that mean? Is it Carmelo's fault he decided to go to college instead of come out right away? You said 6 months is a big difference, which is a broad statement. Be more specific. You should have said (which was obvious, no doubt) that a year of college really paid off for Carmelo where as Lebron was coming straight out of high school.

I put an effort to bring up facts and you nit pick on one statement. There is no value in this debate from my end. The only reason I took the time was because you have a good history of quality posts. I really thought you would come back with a little more substance.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 11, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
I put an effort to bring up facts and you nit pick on one statement. There is no value in this debate from my end. The only reason I took the time was because you have a good history of quality posts. I really thought you would come back with a little more substance.

Sorry to disappoint. I'm feeling lazy. Wasn't ever really looking for a debate, just a statement that I stand by behind. IMO, Carmelo had the better rookie year, but Lebron has been better since.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting a lengthy debate either, especially since the 1st line in your post read "I didn't want to take the bait..."

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 11, 2009 -> 10:13 PM)
Sorry to disappoint. I'm feeling lazy. Wasn't ever really looking for a debate, just a statement that I stand by behind. IMO, Carmelo had the better rookie year, but Lebron has been better since.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting a lengthy debate either, especially since the 1st line in your post read "I didn't want to take the bait..."

If you make a strong statement where you are wrong, you should be prepared to back it up. That's all.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:22 AM)
If you make a strong statement where you are wrong, you should be prepared to back it up. That's all.

I agree, and I apologize if I wasted your time or whatever. Don't jump down my throat or anything. I wasn't wrong anyway, so ya.