Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 09:22 AM)
The Nuggest were desperate to dump salary so that they didn't have to pay the luxury tax.

That's what you get when you resign Nene to a 60/6 deal though, and have Kenyon Martin making close to a max contract.

The Bulls would have had to trade either Hinrich or Hughes to be able to acquire Camby.

And that would have been bad because...?

I don't really care much, as I don't see the Bulls competing next year, regardless. But short term, Camby's a nice player to have, and long-term, you get out from Hinrich's contract. Not sure if they would have wanted Hinrich, though.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)

I don't really care much, as I don't see the Bulls competing next year, regardless. But short term, Camby's a nice player to have, and long-term, you get out from Hinrich's contract. Not sure if they would have wanted Hinrich, though.

Well I mean they would have had to have done a salary dump to get under the cap so they could acquire Camby (and maybe renounce the rights to Deng and / or Gordon also).

The only team really out there with cap room was the Clippers (originally) and Memphis.

Memphis doesn't need Hinrich with 3 PG's already on the roster, and Hughes has what 2-3 years left on his deal for around $15M?

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 07:46 AM)

The Nuggets were wanting to move themselves out of luxury tax territory. That means that they needed to trade Camby to a team who either had a contract that just expired (Memphis, basically) or they needed to trade him to a team that was under the cap (Memphis or the Clippers). The only way for the Bulls to get a piece of this would have been to trade Hinrich/Hughes to either Memphis or LAC for a draft pick, thus allowing the Bulls to get under the cap. Considering the Clips just signed a PG, they're not going to have any interest in that. And Memphis isn't going to be spending money right now, they've made that clear.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
Well I mean they would have had to have done a salary dump to get under the cap so they could acquire Camby (and maybe renounce the rights to Deng and / or Gordon also).

The only team really out there with cap room was the Clippers (originally) and Memphis.

Memphis doesn't need Hinrich with 3 PG's already on the roster, and Hughes has what 2-3 years left on his deal for around $15M?

Pretty sure Hughes has 2 years left. Same as Camby, iirc.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 16, 2008 -> 09:10 PM)
They have CP3...hard not to like them...

Just wait until Posey cheap-shots someone and starts a fight and CP3 winds up missing a couple playoff games for walking away from the bench.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 17, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)
I knew that part, I just figured if you're going to compare him to harrison, we may as well note all of the issues there...

I would not be surprised.

The announcers were really slobbing him during the Finals, I was getting a little sick.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 03:54 AM)
So the Bulls and Jazz are playing a pre season game at Assembly Hall in Champaign, pretty cool imo.

I always thought it would be a cool idea to play NBA pre-season games at more college arenas.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 05:17 PM)
First game was the Pacers-Thundercats. :lol: (Announcers gave that name to OKC. I'm still not sure who Lion-O is supposed to be. And yes, they really were calling someone Lion-O.)

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 7, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
BTW- I wonder if ThunderCats is their official name now?

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 22, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
Oklahoma City Thunder????

Those summer league announcers were pretty close, eh?

:D