Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 02:10 PM)
Looks like Dwight may get suspended for that shot. I personally think he should get 2 games. How many games would someone like Aaron Gray get?

I cant believe the amount of people down here who think's the elbow Howard threw is no big deal. Newspaper columnists, fans all think the Sixers are whining and that the elbow is just part of the game. HUGE difference in throwing an elbow to clear out after getting a rebound and throwing an elbow as a strike. As Barkley said, that elbow was the same as a punch.

With Lee out, Howard just guaranteed a 7th game and anything can happen in a 7th game of a series.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 12:36 PM)
I cant believe the amount of people down here who think's the elbow Howard threw is no big deal. Newspaper columnists, fans all think the Sixers are whining and that the elbow is just part of the game. HUGE difference in throwing an elbow to clear out after getting a rebound and throwing an elbow as a strike. As Barkley said, that elbow was the same as a punch.

With Lee out, Howard just guaranteed a 7th game and anything can happen in a 7th game of a series.

Winners, apparently, hit people in the head.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
Wow, KG needed two All-Stars around him to win a f***ing ring. So while he's in his suit, he yells at a guy who has the balls to play through an injury and put up a damn good game.

Garnett is a b****.

He needed two semi stars in Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell to get out of the first round.

I'll say the play ran last night for Brad Miller was a good play. Very good. Only thing is, if Miller was faster, he would've made it. For him particularly, I would've liked it if he popped a jumper or threw passed last second to Salmons when everyone collapsed on him. Ben was being triple teamed, so again, the Bulls made a good call on that pass.

Now, as far as Hinrich, VDN stated he wanted to get him in the game for more of the second half, but he kept bleeding so they had to repatch him and he wasn't able to gain rhtym since then. Hopefully, we get physical for the next game. I think if we do, we'll shake them up.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 02:03 PM)
I'll say the play ran last night for Brad Miller was a good play. Very good. Only thing is, if Miller was faster, he would've made it. For him particularly, I would've liked it if he popped a jumper or threw passed last second to Salmons when everyone collapsed on him. Ben was being triple teamed, so again, the Bulls made a good call on that pass.

Now, as far as Hinrich, VDN stated he wanted to get him in the game for more of the second half, but he kept bleeding so they had to repatch him and he wasn't able to gain rhtym since then. Hopefully, we get physical for the next game. I think if we do, we'll shake them up.

Depends on what the refs allow. I think almost everyone here will agree that you have to hit Rose a lot harder than you have to hit Rondo to get a foul called on you this series so far.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
Depends on what the refs allow. I think almost everyone here will agree that you have to hit Rose a lot harder than you have to hit Rondo to get a foul called on you this series so far.

I say we put in Roberson and Tonya Harding Rondo. Make the refs call that Flagrant 2.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
why was Miller even on the floor at the end of the game - that's my question.

"Veteran presence" or whatever that means, I assume. I wouldn't want him there either, but he's probably less likely to take a stupid shot than Thomas, I will grant that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
"Veteran presence" or whatever that means, I assume. I wouldn't want him there either, but he's probably less likely to take a stupid shot than Thomas, I will grant that.

Believe it or not that was a great play drawn up by VDN. They caught the Celtics off-guard and would have gotten away with it if Miller didn't rush the shot...

He saw people coming to smother him and he started driving from about the free throw line. He should have dunked that ball and gotten the and 1. That's something Tyrus Thomas could have done.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
Believe it or not that was a great play drawn up by VDN. They caught the Celtics off-guard and would have gotten away with it if Miller didn't rush the shot...

Not disagreeing with that assessment, I have no problem with that play going to Miller. Anything other than Gordon dribbling on an isolation and shooting through a quadruple team makes me somewhat happy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 07:19 PM)
HA! No brainer. Like the league was going to cripple the Celtics for even a game.

True.

Still, it would have been nice to at least give him a flagrant type 1. He wouldn't have gotten suspended but at least it would be an acknowledgment by the league that Rondo made no play on the ball, just Miller's face. That dude's got great hands that always seem to find the ball; I find it hard to believe in that situation that he happened to miss the ball by 2 feet on a swipe that just happened to hit the shooter's face.

After reading through Bill Simmons response to the Rondo foul, i found this quote interesting:

So when Rondo walloped Miller across the face on that climactic drive Tuesday night, it was his single smartest play of his phenomenal first round. He had no chance of blocking the shot, and he had to hit Miller as hard as he could to prevent the and-one, so screw it ... SMACK! (He even admitted this after the game.) Since the motion technically looked like Rondo was swiping at the ball -- even though his hand wasn't within two feet of it -- the officials couldn't call a flagrant and that was that.

So after the game he even admitted that he never intended to go for the ball and wanted to hit Miller, and that is not a flagrant foul? Isnt that the definition of a flagrant foul?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 29, 2009 -> 05:19 PM)
After reading through Bill Simmons response to the Rondo foul, i found this quote interesting:

So after the game he even admitted that he never intended to go for the ball and wanted to hit Miller, and that is not a flagrant foul? Isnt that the definition of a flagrant foul?

The problem is the fact that it's after the game. Changing it to a flagrant 1 simply says "we blew it, we're fining Rondo but we can't suspend him". No one thinks that's a flagrant 2, and he wouldn't have been suspended for a flagrant 1. Punishing him for game 6 is the 2 wrongs trying to make a right.

Well if you upgrade the foul to a Flagrant 1, which is what I wanted, if Rondo gets another flagrant, that's a suspension I believe. If the league just acknowledged, hey, we screwed up, that would be okay with me. But to say it never happened is a farce, especially the explanation given.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
Mark Titus put his name into the NBA draft and the NBA threatened him to get him to remove himself from the draft process.

It's official, the NBA really needs to evaluate itself.

We're not allowed to root for injuries on here, right? Well, I hope Rondo has a healthy career in the NBA. If the Bulls win and Rondo's not suspended for Game 7, the NBA might as well close operations.

Edited by fathom