So what's the deal with Jordan Danks?

Wanne

Signability? Going back to school? Type of $$$ asking. Can somebody with their finger on the pulse of what's going on with him fill me in. I haven't really followed his story.

Mucho grassy........

This is from one of Merkins articles regarding Jordan:

Williams felt as if the selection of Jordan Danks, in a lower round than he was originally projected, almost served the purpose of making up for the lost second-round pick to Milwaukee via the free agent signing of Scott Linebrink. John Danks, who nervously moved around the clubhouse on Thursday waiting to hear about his brother, understandably was excited to receive the news on Friday.

With the younger Danks expected to sign, it should be a true family affair in Spring Training next March.

"You know, it's just one of those things where we're happy just to get him drafted," said John Danks of his brother, who was originally drafted by the White Sox in the 19th round of the 2005 First-Year Player Draft. "It was a hard first day. We expected him to go higher than he did.

"Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. But in hindsight, I don't think it could have worked out any better, coming over here to the White Sox. Hopefully, he can get to the Minor Leagues and have a couple of good years and we can play together some day. He's very good. The way we're looking at it, it's a steal for the White Sox, getting him where they did."

Good news, now get it done Kenny.

Holy s***, thats awesome. Get er done Kenny, ger er done. I freaking love Danks. His bat gets ripped by scouts more than it should. He has a very fluid swing and defensviely he's stellar (not to mention he's great on the paths and fundementally sound). The guy has the ability to be a .280-.320 hitter with 15-25 hr's, 20-30 steals, all while playing above average defense (he has a gun in the outfield).

Thats what I'd call his upside. Obviously that isn't hall of fame numbers and I'm not guaranteeing thats what he does, but thats the type of potential I think he possesses.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
Next years White Sox top prospects:

1.) Gordon Beckham

2.) Aaron Poreda

3.) Jordan Danks

4.) Nevin Griffith

5.) Lance Broadway

Things are getting much better.

After O-Cab walks next year, we'll get even more compensation... The White Sox need to have another draft where they draft some guys who want out of slot money (ala the Danks drafting and Porcello last year)

IMO, his upside is a Grady Sizemore-type leadoff man. He should hit like Jason said, .280-.300 range, with possibly ones he fills out 20 HRs and 20 SBs. Plus, like Sizemore, great D, but he's got a better arm that Grady. It's a great pick and he will be a solid major leaguer for years. Great bloodlines, smart player, works hard, at worst, he is a solid leadoff hitter/end of the order guy who will hit around .275 with a good OBP.

I do think he will sign. I believe it ultimately comes down to what the family wants to do and I think the Sox organization is one they want to be a part of again with the success John has had here. The Sox obviously will have to put forth the money, but I see no reason, they can't come to an agreement.

Edited by maggsmaggs

The Austin, TX newspaper and the Texas Longhorn people expect Danks to forego his sr. season and go pro:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sp...5basedraft.html

The Sox will have the special asst. to Reinsdorf / designated-you-deal-with-Boras guy Dennis Gilbert handle the negotiations. I expect this to get done, it makes too much sense not to. Then again, it's Boras we're talking about.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
The Austin, TX newspaper and the Texas Longhorn people expect Danks to forego his sr. season and go pro:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sp...5basedraft.html

The Sox will have the special asst. to Reinsdorf / designated-you-deal-with-Boras guy Dennis Gilbert handle the negotiations. I expect this to get done, it makes too much sense not to. Then again, it's Boras we're talking about.

Yeah, with the extra money we have due to losing the pick to Milwaukee over the Linebrink deal, plus having only one of the top 89 (I think that was it) picks, plus plus we should get Kenny's kid at a bargain, this should get done I think.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
Next years White Sox top prospects:

1.) Gordon Beckham

2.) Aaron Poreda

3.) Jordan Danks

4.) Nevin Griffith

5.) Lance Broadway

Wheres Kenny Williams JR???!

by the way beckham just hit a 2 run double ... nice

edit: it only brought in 1 run

Edited by JFields27

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jun 7, 2008 -> 11:42 AM)
Wheres Kenny Williams JR???!

by the way beckham just hit a 2 run double ... nice

edit: it only brought in 1 run

He was plunked twice earlier in the game, then took a slider or cutter that was high and over the outer half to right field for the double. Nice job by him going oppo on that one.