6/20 Game Thread - CWS @ CHC, 1:20pm CT

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
Also, does Linebrink have some clause in his contract where he can only pitch 1 inning at a time? You think if we sign a SU guy for practically 20 million over 4 years that he'd be able to pitching 2 innings. I felt strongly that Linebrink should have been the 7th inning guy. I like Dotel and all, but he has shown he can't be trusted late in close ball games, IMO. He's way too streaky.

Who's going to pitch the 8th then?

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
Also, does Linebrink have some clause in his contract where he can only pitch 1 inning at a time? You think if we sign a SU guy for practically 20 million over 4 years that he'd be able to pitching 2 innings. I felt strongly that Linebrink should have been the 7th inning guy. I like Dotel and all, but he has shown he can't be trusted late in close ball games, IMO. He's way too streaky.

Dotel's "streaky" - both good and bad. People always forget the "good", though.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)

So Dotel should only pitch in blowouts?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)

So everytime we have a lead after 6, linebrink's supposed to do 2?

Linebrink can pitch 2, but then he's toast the next day. I'd rather have him available tomorrow as well, instead of banking on 2 shutout innings.

You can't win with a bullpen of 2-3 guys close & late.

Dotel f***ed up today, the end.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
I like Dotel and all, but he has shown he can't be trusted late in close ball games, IMO. He's way too streaky.

Dotel is OK, but I seem him as more of an innings-eater than somebody you throw out there to cover the 7th in a close game. I'd rather they put Thornton in that role. He's tough on righties and Logan is still available as a LOOGY.

Some of you guys don't realize in the NL things work a lot differently. Ozzie didn't want to give up an out so he went with a pitch hitter. You factor that in with the idea that Danks was going to be facing all righties and the heart of the order (plus 2 runs isn't near enough of a lead that early in the game) and it makes sense. Whether it turns out to be right or wrong, who knows, but the bottom line is the move made sense and as far as I'm concerned thats all I can ask of my manager.

Oh, yeah... I forgot that Danks hasn't faced any righties or the heart of the order yet today...

From a predetermined standpoint, Ozzie made a (2, actually) terrible move(s), simple as that.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
We sacrificed Danks for Juan Uribe. Even though Uribe got a hit, that's LOL worthy.

I could see pulling Danks for Thome against a righty in the 7th, but certainly not Uribe.

Yes, second guessing is fun.

If our bullpen did what it normally does and Uribe scored everybody would say we're great and Oz is a genius.

Instead BECAUSE OF OUR LACK OF BEING ABLE TO GET A KEY HIT BESIDES A HR we are probably going to lose this game and everybody can take it out on Oz and be happy.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
Oh, yeah... I forgot that Danks hasn't faced any righties or the heart of the order yet today...

From a predetermined standpoint, Ozzie made a (2, actually) terrible move(s), simple as that.

Its pretty evident the more times through the lineup, plus the added fatigue, and its only going to get more difficult to get guys out. Bottom line is I wouldn't have had a problem if Ozzie went either way because you could make the argument that either move makes sense.

The only time there is legitimate reason to question a call (as far as I'm concerned) is if there is no rationale reasoning behind such move.

Maybe our bullpen sucks because Ozzie doesn't recognize his personnel. How many times do we have to witness Ozzie take out a Loogy against a left handed hitter for him to put in a righty who the guy rakes against career wise?

And for anyone defending Dotel, this isn't the Dotel that was with Houston throwing 96mph with a sharp slider. This is beat up, don't put me in a pressure situation Dotel because I will choke. If we make it to the playoffs, I'd be very afraid Ozzie would put him in.