Roster Decisions Coming Soon For Sox

bjm676

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
Why not hold off on the decision and send Anderson down to AAA where he can get significant ab's (knowing that Wise will be the primary backup in the OF with Ramirez being able to fill in). If there are any serious injuries, you just call Anderson back-up and at that point decide between Pablo/Uribe.

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Anderson's the one that still has options.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
Pablo's only added versatility I can see over Uribe is speed (and Ozuna's speed isn't what it was), and the ability to bunt. Uribe can play all the same positions as Ozuna, except a lot better. Neither can hit well, but Uribe is still better than Ozuna at the plate. So as far as utility and versatility go, I think Uribe has more to offer.

All told, I'd rather have Bourgeois and Getz than Ozuna and Uribe anyway. The Uribe/Ozuna discussion is like deciding between brussel sprouts and haggis. I'd like to pass on both, thank you very much. But at least a few people actually like brussel sprouts.

Isn't Pablo hitting right around .300 this year? Defensively Uribe is superior and offers the same versatility there as Pablo (ie, can play all the positions with the exception of LF). Offensively, Pablo is significantly better. He's also a better bunter and baserunner. If I had to make a choice, I'd probably keep Pablo simply because I like the Sox regular's defensively which would limit the need for a defensive replacement (and therefor Uribe's use). But the Sox have few everyday players who can get a bunt down and therefor we would have a bigger need at that spot (ie, Pablo).

Why not hold off on the decision and send Anderson down to AAA where he can get significant ab's (knowing that Wise will be the primary backup in the OF with Ramirez being able to fill in). If there are any serious injuries, you just call Anderson back-up and at that point decide between Pablo/Uribe.

Because Anderson adds plus D at all three OF positions, speed, a better bat than either of them right now, and talent to improve. Ozuna is headed downhill, and Uribe is just mired.

You do make a good point about OF being a little more flexible, though - with Swisher back, plus Wise, and Ramirez in a pinch.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 04:48 PM)
Pablo's only added versatility I can see over Uribe is speed (and Ozuna's speed isn't what it was), and the ability to bunt. Uribe can play all the same positions as Ozuna, except a lot better. Neither can hit well, but Uribe is still better than Ozuna at the plate. So as far as utility and versatility go, I think Uribe has more to offer.

All told, I'd rather have Bourgeois and Getz than Ozuna and Uribe anyway. The Uribe/Ozuna discussion is like deciding between brussel sprouts and haggis. I'd like to pass on both, thank you very much. But at least a few people actually like brussel sprouts.

How is Uribe better than Pablo at the plate for this role? Pablo hits for more contact, can actually bunt and hit to the right in situations. Uribe can only lift and pull the occassional homer, he hits for much less contact, isnt as good of a bunter and hasnt shown the ability to work the ball over the field. This role has nothing to do with OPS, or SLG or anything, its a simple player who can play in situations in the AL.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
Isn't Pablo hitting right around .300 this year? Defensively Uribe is superior and offers the same versatility there as Pablo (ie, can play all the positions with the exception of LF). Offensively, Pablo is significantly better. He's also a better bunter and baserunner. If I had to make a choice, I'd probably keep Pablo simply because I like the Sox regular's defensively which would limit the need for a defensive replacement (and therefor Uribe's use). But the Sox have few everyday players who can get a bunt down and therefor we would have a bigger need at that spot (ie, Pablo).

Pablo hits for more contact, Uribe for more power, but their OBP's are pretty similar over the years. Ozuna would need a much higher OBP than Juan to make up for the extra bases, and he doesn't really have that.

I just don't see having a good bunter and decent baserunner on the bench as a huge deal (especially when Wise and Anderson can run). Nice pluses, but they don't make up for Pablo's poor D, and I think Uribe is a slightly better hitter overall.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
Because Anderson adds plus D at all three OF positions, speed, a better bat than either of them right now, and talent to improve. Ozuna is headed downhill, and Uribe is just mired.

You do make a good point about OF being a little more flexible, though - with Swisher back, plus Wise, and Ramirez in a pinch.

My point is with Wise emerging how much is Anderson really going to get utilized because Ozzie will pinch hit Ozuna and Uribe to get a bunt down or do a lot of various things before he'd ever go with Anderson (and despite Anderson's better average, I can't blame him because he has a lot more flaws to his swing). If choosing between Pablo and Juan, I go with Juan (again, I see more of a need in having an extra small ball guy on the bench than a plus defensive infielder (since OC/Crede/Ramirez are all plus at there respected positions).

But, with Wise up here for the time being and Anderson having options (Swisher will be starting) and Alexi being capable of playing CF as well, I would chose him to go down before having to dump either Juan/Pablo. Plus I think it will be very beneficial for BA to get significant playing time in AAA so if anyone goes down, you can than bring up BA and let him start in CF (say if Paulie goes down or Thome or whomever).

Juan's done a nice job coming off the bench to date...plus is D is superior to Pablo's. Don't you kind of keep it in the back of your head that a bench player would become an everyday if an injury were to occur? I like Pablo...but if it came down to choosing I gotta go with Juan.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
My point is with Wise emerging how much is Anderson really going to get utilized because Ozzie will pinch hit Ozuna and Uribe to get a bunt down or do a lot of various things before he'd ever go with Anderson (and despite Anderson's better average, I can't blame him because he has a lot more flaws to his swing). If choosing between Pablo and Juan, I go with Juan (again, I see more of a need in having an extra small ball guy on the bench than a plus defensive infielder (since OC/Crede/Ramirez are all plus at there respected positions).

But, with Wise up here for the time being and Anderson having options (Swisher will be starting) and Alexi being capable of playing CF as well, I would chose him to go down before having to dump either Juan/Pablo. Plus I think it will be very beneficial for BA to get significant playing time in AAA so if anyone goes down, you can than bring up BA and let him start in CF (say if Paulie goes down or Thome or whomever).

The numbers say that if Wise is going to stay up, then Anderson really ought to be sent down, because Wise is a left hander, and if you treat CF as a platoon, Wise faces the righties and Anderson faces the lefties. The problem with that is Anderson is just god awful against lefties. He hits .270 against righties and .156 against lefties so far on this season, and in 06 for most of the year he hit righties better than lefties as well. So by setting up a CF platoon, you're putting your worst bat against lefties in every time you face a lefty. Anderson is right now useless unless you're facing a righty.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
How is Uribe better than Pablo at the plate for this role? Pablo hits for more contact, can actually bunt and hit to the right in situations. Uribe can only lift and pull the occassional homer, he hits for much less contact, isnt as good of a bunter and hasnt shown the ability to work the ball over the field. This role has nothing to do with OPS, or SLG or anything, its a simple player who can play in situations in the AL.

Neither Uribe or Ozuna are going to be kept around based on their hitting, which is below-average in both cases. That decision will likely be based on who can better fit the role of utility infielder/defensive sub (which likely means that Uribe stays). Wise will be the one pinch-running...

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
not to mention down the stretch we will have owens on the team (at least in sept) that will be our designated pinch runner

... and Owens is an even better option for that role. I could see him getting called up if Wise falls into a slump. Unfortunately...

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
My point is with Wise emerging how much is Anderson really going to get utilized

... our outfield is crowded as all hell and Ozzie/Kenny have decisions to make there as well.

THANK YOU. I was thinking this and hoping someone would say it. With Ramirez and Wise doing pretty well, and both can play center, to me he should be sent down to have some more at bats. Swisher is probably going to be back at center fairly soon as long as Konerko comes back.

Actually, I don't like the idea of having 12 pitchers on the team, but that's Ozzie's decision. I would rather send Russell down when Konerko is healthy.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
Keep Uribe for sure over Ozuna. Ozuna blows in the field, Uribe is awesome in it. Offensively one gives you power and gap hitting, the other gives you speed and bunting ability. Overall I say take Uribe because of his defense and ability to take a ball into the gaps and over the fence.

You made Uribe sound like Derek Jeter, you should be ashamed of yourself.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
Don't know about you guys, but Uribe has pissed me off more than any other player in his stay with the Sox. Especially the past couple of years.

You're right about Wise. He's not gonna hit .300 for much longer. He's on a nice little streak and will come down to Earth real soon.

I can't disagree with you that uribe is one hard headed individual. I am surprised he hasn't plaeyd at 3B this year (or has he?) Wasn't that his role when first acquired from Coplorado-super sub in the IF?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
You made Uribe sound like Derek Jeter, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Since when does saying someone is awesome defensively sound like a Derek Jeter comparison?

Its funny how fickle this board is. We want to get rid of a contact hitter that can bunt, which is basically one of the things this lineup needs in spots, and everyone clamors for a "power, gap" hitter who makes almost no contact and k's a ton.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 06:17 PM)
Its funny how fickle this board is. We want to get rid of a contact hitter that can bunt, which is basically one of the things this lineup needs in spots, and everyone clamors for a "power, gap" hitter who makes almost no contact and k's a ton.

For the record, I've been on board to ditch Pablo Ozuna since 2005 ended. I haven't been fickle at all in that regard.

Two things, first lets make a poll and take a vote on who u send down/get rid of, and wise should be included in that as well. Second when is this decision to be made, I though we were about a week away from activating Paulie?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
He didn't exactly suck at SS 10 years ago.

10 years ago, 1998, Jeter owned a Rate of 95 and a -7 FRAA. So no, he wasn't absolutely horrible, but he was still below average. Ironically enough, 10 years ago was his best defensive season up until 2004.

No, defensive stats never tell the whole story, however Derek Jeter has always been a average to below average shortstop defensively.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 06:09 PM)
Since when does saying someone is awesome defensively sound like a Derek Jeter comparison?

According to the ESPN critics, Jeter is an awesome shortstop, on both offense and defense. That was part of the sarcasm. He was talking like Uribe could hit like Jeter and "field like a gold glove shortstop" like writers thought last year when they handed him his gold glove.