Marte, Nady to the Yankees

Balta1701

I was just reading that Tabata is clearly a project player, and would be the best of the bunch if anything. How do the Yankees consistently pawn off their minor leaguers on teams for decent to pretty good players? I just dont get it

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
I was just reading that Tabata is clearly a project player, and would be the best of the bunch if anything. How do the Yankees consistently pawn off their minor leaguers on teams for decent to pretty good players? I just dont get it

How many teams though have made a killing based on guys that the Yankees sold off?

I'm a big Nady fan. Isn't Oldenhoff supposed to be decent. I know he struggled in the majors this season and I'm not saying he's a top prospect nor am I saying the Pirates got good value (Tabata has high upside but a lot of risk too). I'm really surprised considering just how good Nady has been, plus Marte has a very good arm and has done well with the Pirates.

This deal makes the Yanks much better, imo. Again, I can't comment on the other guys too much cause I'm not super familiar with the Yanks system. I figure the Pirates could have gotten more in terms of big name minor leaguers.

I think I'd give up baseball if I was a Pirates fan. Geez-us...they're like the Wal-Mart of MLB come deadline time. It's a shame too...beautiful park, pretty decent fan base... Same s*** with them every year.

Change in the terms of the deal. Rotoworld is reporting that Kontos and Coke are out, while Daniel McCutchen and Jeff Karstens are in. (Tabata and Ohlendorf are still in.)

Since Coke was pulled after one inning, presumably he was part of a deal that got reworked. Check out McCutchen's MiLB stats. With Tabata, not a bad package.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
is that mccutchen any relation to andrew? the one the pirates already have

Dunno, but they don't seem to be brothers, unless they were raised by different parents. (Baseball Cube says one was born/grew up around Florida, the other around Texas/Oklahoma.)

My first thought when I saw "McCutchen going to Pirates in Nady deal" was, That can't be right... I was worried for a sec that Pitt had somehow thrown McCutchen into the deal and rotoworld just had a typo. :D

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 25, 2008 -> 08:36 PM)
Yankees stole those 2. Nady hitting what .330 and Marte has been lights out lately.

I cant even believe what im reading in this thread. You guys are aware this was Damaso Marte right? One of the most unclutch pitchers ive ever seen. He invented the David Riske syndrome. Xavier Nady is having a good season thus far, but isnt exactly a star player. This is a meh deal IMO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
I cant even believe what im reading in this thread. You guys are aware this was Damaso Marte right? One of the most unclutch pitchers ive ever seen. He invented the David Riske syndrome. Xavier Nady is having a good season thus far, but isnt exactly a star player. This is a meh deal IMO.

Although it's from the Yankees and that probably drives some of it, there's been a good deal of buzz around Tabata for a couple years now. I think I knew his name when he was like 17. He's not putting up great numbers, but he's not putting up great numbers as a talented 19 year old in AA. If we had a guy like him and traded him in a deal for Marte and Nady...we'd be pretty annoyed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 03:02 PM)
Although it's from the Yankees and that probably drives some of it, there's been a good deal of buzz around Tabata for a couple years now. I think I knew his name when he was like 17. He's not putting up great numbers, but he's not putting up great numbers as a talented 19 year old in AA. If we had a guy like him and traded him in a deal for Marte and Nady...we'd be pretty annoyed.

No kidding. How bout this: We thought we won a deal trading Marte away for Mack-O-Whack. Now he's being called a shut down relief pitcher in the media.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
No kidding. How bout this: We thought we won a deal trading Marte away for Mack-O-Whack. Now he's being called a shut down relief pitcher in the media.

Marte was also coming off a season when he posted a 1.7+ WHIP and couldn't throw a strike to save his life. He has been very solid for Pittsburgh the last two seasons and his walk totals are way down and thus he has regained his effectiveness. Not a shut down relief pitcher but a very good one.

Are you guys forgetting the Damaso Marte that was absolutely shutdown for the Sox for all but one season. The guy has had one down season since initially joining the White Sox. He has a plus slider and fastball and throws from the left side. Xavier Nady would be the Sox 3rd best offensive player (well now that Thome is hitting, 4th best, behind Dye/CQ/Thome). The Yanks gave up very little of actual value to themselves (aside from Tabata who could turn into a star, but again, this would be the equivalent of the Sox dealing an extremely raw player whose yet to prove much of anything, ie a Faustino De Los Santos). Albeit Tabata was a pitcher and is farther along than where Del Los Santos was.

This is a freaking steal for the Yanks, especially given there needs.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
Are you guys forgetting the Damaso Marte that was absolutely shutdown for the Sox for all but one season. The guy has had one down season since initially joining the White Sox. He has a plus slider and fastball and throws from the left side. Xavier Nady would be the Sox 3rd best offensive player (well now that Thome is hitting, 4th best, behind Dye/CQ/Thome). The Yanks gave up very little of actual value to themselves (aside from Tabata who could turn into a star, but again, this would be the equivalent of the Sox dealing an extremely raw player whose yet to prove much of anything, ie a Faustino De Los Santos). Albeit Tabata was a pitcher and is farther along than where Del Los Santos was.

This is a freaking steal for the Yanks, especially given there needs.

Marte is great in low pressure situations (I.e. most of his seasons with the Sox and all of his seasons with Pitt.) However, in the only season we were really in contention when he was here he was pretty brutal in pressure situations.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)
Marte is great in low pressure situations (I.e. most of his seasons with the Sox and all of his seasons with Pitt.) However, in the only season we were really in contention when he was here he was pretty brutal in pressure situations.

I don't know if i'd say we weren't in contention in 2003 or 2004. We died at the end but we gave it a shot both years.