And That's A White Sox Loser

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 01:44 AM)
And you wanna know another thing I'm sick of that doesn't help....I'm sick of Ozzie and Hawk and everybody pretty much sucking the Twins Twinkies. Every time these two open their mouth you'd think they were the reincarnation of the 36 Yankees or something. ENOUGH ALREADY. You don't think when your own team continues to hear this s*** it doesn't almost give them a defeatist attitude?!? Hell...no wonder the Sox always play like s*** against the Twins...it's because they're getting it ingrained the the TWINS ARE THE GREATEST! F@#$ THAT!!!

I totally agree with this. Its one thing to respect your opponent, its another thing to slobber all over them. The Twins have a big mental edge against the White Sox everytime they play in Minnesota because of what you posted. I'm sick of hearing how great the Twins are. Hawk is a huge homer, but everytime the Sox play Minnesota, you would think the Sox were at least 15 games behind them. Ozzie does the same thing. I think it works its way down to the team.

During the game Hawk was giving game scores and he says "Detroit was shut out by the Indians 5-0, the Tigers have been shutout 11 times this year", and I thought to myself "Hawk, the Sox are on the verge of being shutout themselves, you shouldnt be talking like that."

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 07:05 AM)
During the game Hawk was giving game scores and he says "Detroit was shut out by the Indians 5-0, the Tigers have been shutout 11 times this year", and I thought to myself "Hawk, the Sox are on the verge of being shutout themselves, you shouldnt be talking like that."

But the Sox shouldn't have been shutout. JD hit a ball 5 feet foul and it was called a homerun. The umpires, at least according to Hawk, have no reason to overturn the call, except of course if it was hit by someone on the opposition. I love Hawk, but his umpire criticism hit a new low last night with that one.

The one thing I don't understand about the umpires getting together though is if the home plate umpire clearly saw the ball was foul, if they are so concerned with getting it right, why doesn't he say something before he is asked? Its like he knows it was fould but will keep quiet unless the other manager comes out and has a stroke and they call a meeting. Doesn't sound like the umpires just want to get the call right to me.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
But the Sox shouldn't have been shutout. JD hit a ball 5 feet foul and it was called a homerun. The umpires, at least according to Hawk, have no reason to overturn the call, except of course if it was hit by someone on the opposition. I love Hawk, but his umpire criticism hit a new low last night with that one.

The one thing I don't understand about the umpires getting together though is if the home plate umpire clearly saw the ball was foul, if they are so concerned with getting it right, why doesn't he say something before he is asked? Its like he knows it was fould but will keep quiet unless the other manager comes out and has a stroke and they call a meeting. Doesn't sound like the umpires just want to get the call right to me.

that's how it always is.

remember the alexei phantom tag at homeplate a while back? the umpire didn't say anything until the other team tagged the plate. now you'll probably say it's not the same thing, as one is a judgement call and the other is up to the team to tag the plate for the force out, but the umpire did NOT come out and SAY "He did not touch the plate", that's the point i'm making

if they just want to get the call right, he would come out and say "You didnt tag the plate"

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Jul 28, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)
Like sunrise and sunset, shifting of the tides, changing of the seasons, the Sox sh*itting their pants in MN during the 2nd half, some things are just a lock to happen.

This is now 4 straight seasons they'll take a nosedive after the ASB, the worst of all being 2005, blowing a 15 game lead save for a single homerun by Crede. As much as it kills me every year, with the race this close, this team has exactly a 1% chance of winning this division from MN....once again guys no one in the country have ever heard of become instant reliable superstars, they're just a superior organization, on bare bones budget and loss of every star they breed, they still snatch titles from the 110 and 130M dollar teams like ours and the Tigers. I'm now reaching the point of rooting against them as a defense mechanism for the nights and weeks of disappointment. With the money MB, JC, JV, are making it's an absolute crime to not be wiping the floor with their staff.

Ok. Tell you what, you take Minnesota and their 4 recent division titles. I think I'll take the White Sox and their 1 recent World Series Title.

Yes, they play above their level in the regular season. Yes, they beat us last night.

We still have a lead in our division, and they still have to play 24/30 on the road from August 21st to September 21st. If they go .500 over those 30 games, which include 4@oak, 4@tb, and 4@LAA, I will eat a car.

If you give me 100:1 odds on the White Sox, please pm me and I'll make you a bet of any size up to $1000. Hell, I'll even make that bet if you give me 10:1 odds.

Otherwise, please stop overreacting over exactly ONE second half loss.

The best teams in the league every year lose 40% of their games no matter how they play.

Also, the Twins are 14-4 against the minor league NL teams and almost exactly .500 against the major league AL teams. Assuming they go .500 the rest of the way (which is assuming too much in my opinion given their schedule and their ridiculously unsustainable RISP BA), they end up with 86 or 87 wins. That's enough to win this division?

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)
This has also been a pet peeve of my mine the last few years. It seems last year and this one, it hasn't been that bad with our organization, but in 2005-2006, it was beyond brutal. It's not even Hawk and DJ that bother me, it's Williams, Ozzie, and the players slurping the team. It's embarrassing.

The only problem with the slurping is the fact that we havent seen the results. When Ozzie was hired, Kenny talked about emulating the twins baseball. And for me, that meant more about our minor league preparation. The ability to instruct our kids from Rookie ball up to play the game the right way. Hard nosed, run fast, hit to all fields, play good defense. The Twins and the As have been pretty good at teaching their kids the single message. Our minor leagues for years hasn't had a single mission. Hopefully Buddy Bell imparts that on our organization. I don't want to see kids called up, who dont know how to bunt. Can't field, don't know how to run the bases, or look lost on where to throw a ball when a play happens. This is all instruction that should of happened a while ago. If we took the time to instruct our kids like the twins do, we wouldnt hear crap about our system. The talent is there, I think however something is missing from the instruction standpoint. As I have seen comments on this board about how hard it is to change a player, but oddly the Twins year after year plug in the same type of kids and they hit the ground running. And I don't think they have the most talented minors. They just instruct well. And we should learn from that. But every year getting beat the same way, and then slurping it without any adjustments is tiring. Learn from your mistakes, and get better. I would love to see some of our hitters become tough outs tonight, concentrate on the play, run hard and get a win. Thats how you win in Minny.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
The only problem with the slurping is the fact that we havent seen the results. When Ozzie was hired, Kenny talked about emulating the twins baseball. And for me, that meant more about our minor league preparation. The ability to instruct our kids from Rookie ball up to play the game the right way. Hard nosed, run fast, hit to all fields, play good defense. The Twins and the As have been pretty good at teaching their kids the single message. Our minor leagues for years hasn't had a single mission. Hopefully Buddy Bell imparts that on our organization. I don't want to see kids called up, who dont know how to bunt. Can't field, don't know how to run the bases, or look lost on where to throw a ball when a play happens. This is all instruction that should of happened a while ago. If we took the time to instruct our kids like the twins do, we wouldnt hear crap about our system. The talent is there, I think however something is missing from the instruction standpoint. As I have seen comments on this board about how hard it is to change a player, but oddly the Twins year after year plug in the same type of kids and they hit the ground running. And I don't think they have the most talented minors. They just instruct well. And we should learn from that. But every year getting beat the same way, and then slurping it without any adjustments is tiring. Learn from your mistakes, and get better. I would love to see some of our hitters become tough outs tonight, concentrate on the play, run hard and get a win. Thats how you win in Minny.

They also dump their stars every couple years and stockpile Carlos Gomezes.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
It's also time to move Alexei up in the lineup. Just because he has speed is no reason to keep him batting last. I think it's time to bat him 6th and move Swish to last . Anderson/Wise platoon 7th, Fields 8th.

i actually don't mind alexei batting 9th, because he does get on base regularly, it puts OC into a sort of "Poor man's" 2-hole, not to mention Alexei does drive in runs when the slugs at 6-7-8 get on base

alexei is doing fine batting 9th IMO

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
Ok. Tell you what, you take Minnesota and their 4 recent division titles. I think I'll take the White Sox and their 1 recent World Series Title.

Yes, they play above their level in the regular season. Yes, they beat us last night.

We still have a lead in our division, and they still have to play 24/30 on the road from August 21st to September 21st. If they go .500 over those 30 games, which include 4@oak, 4@tb, and 4@LAA, I will eat a car.

If you give me 100:1 odds on the White Sox, please pm me and I'll make you a bet of any size up to $1000. Hell, I'll even make that bet if you give me 10:1 odds.

Otherwise, please stop overreacting over exactly ONE second half loss.

The best teams in the league every year lose 40% of their games no matter how they play.

Great post. Seriously, it was a breath of fresh air.