Nick Swisher

Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
Funny thing is that Uribe is a GG caliber player at the most important position on the team. His third base defense would be GG without a doubt.

If you don't sing and dance and unnecessarily run into walls, forget about you.

Anderson and Uribe add more to a team but because the press isn't blowing them, they get no respect at all. If Anderson was given the opportunity that Swisher has this season, the Sox would be a better team but the commercials and dugout highlites wouldn't be all that entertaining.

I want to agree with some of the sentiment behind the bolded portion. For years, I've loaded up on the Chicago media for its stupid adoration -- and kid glove treatment -- of players like Mark Grace and Ryan Dempster, the guys who appeared to be good with a quote, addicted to cameras, and were often portrayed (because the bar is so low, I suspect) as the "team funny guys." (To a lesser extent, Chris Zorich fits into this mold, though part of that is the same, stupid Notre Dame mystique now attached to Samardzija.)

Bu the fact is that Grace and Dempster were pretty mediocre at what they were during these times -- Grace as an underperforming first baseman and Dempster as a middle-of-the-road closer. But we were inundated with stories about how funny they were and what great guys they were -- and very little focus on how they held their teams back.

Well, what's fair is fair. With all of Hawk's "Swish" boosterism, the stupid Comcast interviews with him before games, the shots of his fake laughter when Cooper pulled his hamstring, we're getting close to the same phenomenon here. The fact is, Swisher's never been a truly outstanding player. His numbers the past few years have been inconsistent and/or pedestrian. And his performance this year has been pretty woeful.

Maybe he does contribute a lot to morale, I don't know. But I am getting sick of the routine -- and the pass he gets for being so crappy so far. Cuz he has been.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
I agree. Swisher is lucky he plays in an era where every stat is monitored. He'd have been run out of town back in the day when batting average was the biggest stat for a hitter and not on base percentage. The guy's batting average is a joke. But he draws walks so some will slobber over him all season. It's an unwinnable argument for Dick. I agree with everything Dick Allen has been saying about Swish. And yes Konerko has been equally bad or worse. Paulie's home run totals are so low it does indicate something is way wrong. I still say he should bat eighth the rest of the year or be traded for a change of scenery , not booed. Somebody who has time on their hands should compare Swisher's stats to his dad's. Steve Swisher couldn't hit either. I wonder if Steve also drew a lot of walks.

lol

I don't disagree that Swisher has been very disappointing this year, but statements like that are a complete joke.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 11:43 AM)
Nick Swisher's free pass as others continued to get slammed is beyond ridiculous. Consider this:

Last year Juan Uribe hit .234 with 20 homers and 68 rbi in 513 AB as a SS with a 112 K , not considered an offensive position. This year Nick Swisher is hitting .226 and at his current pace will have 20 homers and 72 rbi with 132 ks with 513 official AB. He plays CF an offensive position and most want him to play 1B and even more offensive position. Offensively,he basically is Juan Uribe last year, a guy everyone wanted non-tendered or released, with more walks, and a few more k's and more beard styles. Defensively, at least in CF, he leaves a lot to be desired. As Steve Stone said, he is not a centerfielder. That's not his fault but offensively c'mon. If Paulie is killing the team as I read over and over, what is this guy doing?

Its time he gets scrutunized a bit, especially considering this is supposedly the biggest roadtrip of the season so far, and Dirty Thirty is still looking for his first hit.

He isn't basically Juan Uribe. If he was, you'd love him for buying you dinner.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
lol

I don't disagree that Swisher has been very disappointing this year, but statements like that are a complete joke.

Technically he's right. You go back 10 years and right now Swisher would be thought of as one of the bigger busts of the off-season (in terms of acquisitions).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
Technically he's right. You go back 10 years and right now Swisher would be thought of as one of the bigger busts of the off-season (in terms of acquisitions).

But he's wrong in his analysis. Those stats are monitored for a reason now; they are important. Batting average isn't the most important statistic. We've grown smarter since that line of thought was the popular one.

QUOTE (Maxwell @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
He isn't basically Juan Uribe. If he was, you'd love him for buying you dinner.

Swisher has a much better OBP but Juan also can play GG-level defense at a premium position. Swish is mediocre at best in CF, and we play in a small ballpark. I'd hate to see what he'd look like everyday in a large OF.

So overall, I don't think it's a stretch at all to say Swisher has been basically Uribe. Swish has sucked, there's no other way around it.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
Swisher has a much better OBP but Juan also can play GG-level defense at a premium position. Swish is mediocre at best in CF, and we play in a small ballpark. I'd hate to see what he'd look like everyday in a large OF.

So overall, I don't think it's a stretch at all to say Swisher has been basically Uribe. Swish has sucked, there's no other way around it.

Swish and Uribe have nothing in common other than a low batting average. In every other way, career-wise and this year, they are just not remotely comparable.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
But he's wrong in his analysis. Those stats are monitored for a reason now; they are important. Batting average isn't the most important statistic. We've grown smarter since that line of thought was the popular one.

I still am a believer that batting average is a very very important stat. But I fall in the minority on that cause everyone else always talks to me about slugging percentage and I think that shows that a hitter has multiple skill-sets and not just the ability to hit singles. However, I still think to be a good hitter it is a pre-requesite that you must hit for an average. If you don't hit for an average, than you better make up for it in other ways (ie, hitting for a lot of power, playing tremendous defense at a premium position). Just like if two guys hit for a good average, you can look at other things they do well to indicate whose a better player.

Obviously you prefer a guy that hits .300 with 35 hr's as opposed to a guy who hits .300 with 10 Hr's.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
Swish and Uribe have nothing in common other than a low batting average. In every other way, career-wise and this year, they are just not remotely comparable.

This year Swisher has been like Uribe of the last two seasons he spent as a starter. I figured it would be pretty obvious I wasn't including Swisher's career year in Oakland.

K's, s***ty BA, slightly above average power for their positions.... aside from higher OBP for Swish and Uribe's defense beating the hell out of Swishers at his position, there is no difference.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
Obviously you prefer a guy that hits .300 with 35 hr's as opposed to a guy who hits .300 with 10 Hr's.

So what about a guy who hits .260 with 35 hrs as opposed to a guy who hits .300 with 10 hrs?

He is streaky, and I will gladly take him "streaking" in August/September when they hopefully move him to a more comfortable 1st base.

Yes he is the "funny" guy, which gets him love. But he is also: young, cheap, and signed for a few years with a decent upside/ceiling.

echnically he's right. You go back 10 years and right now Swisher would be thought of as one of the bigger busts of the off-season (in terms of acquisitions).

Thank you. That is the point I was trying to make. No announcers, etc., ever mentioned on base percentage, though they often would point out if a guy had a good eye and drew some walks. But Swish's current BA would have made him laughable. I commend him for getting on base some. Swish hasn't won me over yet. He did help us win some games that one month and for that I commend him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 05:10 PM)
Are you implying he's been juicing since High School? Because he has been a top tier talent since then.

I'm not sure when he would've started juicing, even though high school isn't nearly out of the question. I'm just saying it seems like he's off of something since he's been on the White Sox. Coming to a hitter's paradise, from a pitcher's park where he put up great power numbers, and now seemingly having very little power is strange. Also, considering Oakland has had a lot of ties to steroids, and the White Sox have had somewhat of the opposite reputation, and he definitely looks like an ex-juicer to me. As it's already been said in this thread, the only hard hits he seems to have are his homers. The guy seems to have lost some power somewhere along the road from the coast to the Midwest.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
I'm not sure when he would've started juicing, even though high school isn't nearly out of the question. I'm just saying it seems like he's off of something since he's been on the White Sox. Coming to a hitter's paradise, from a pitcher's park where he put up great power numbers, and now seemingly having very little power is strange. Also, considering Oakland has had a lot of ties to steroids, and the White Sox have had somewhat of the opposite reputation, and he definitely looks like an ex-juicer to me. As it's already been said in this thread, the only hard hits he seems to have are his homers. The guy seems to have lost some power somewhere along the road from the coast to the Midwest.

There have been several stat comparisons that show his "line drive" or whatever % is a career high. Meaning he is hitting it hard...right at people. And for him to be juicing, he would have had to in HS since he's been a stud since then.

Also (outside of Bonds) do you think his All-Star dad would have let it get by him that he was juicing?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 06:19 PM)
There have been several stat comparisons that show his "line drive" or whatever % is a career high. Meaning he is hitting it hard...right at people. And for him to be juicing, he would have had to in HS since he's been a stud since then.

Also (outside of Bonds) do you think his All-Star dad would have let it get by him that he was juicing?

Well, Mark McGwire was a stud before juicing. So, I don't see your point that he was great before, and could not have done steroids because of that. And I've heard plenty of stories of people doing steroids in high school with their parents' knowledge. Again, that means nothing to me.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)

Well he's on pace to hit about the same amount of HR he hit last season, it just appears he isnt hitting as many doubles, which is a byproduct of his BABIP being lower. Basically the doubles he is hitting arent dropping for hits. This probably wouldnt have much to do with steroids, and more to do with the balls he is hitting being caught.