Twins Love Needs To End

Flash Tizzle

There comes a point when you have to think to yourself, if the fans believe every lead is temporary against the Twins, and the announcers believe it as well, then what's preventing the players from feeling similarily? I know it's a strange subject because we're talking about intangibles and ideas that can't be calculated, but hearing all about the invincibility of the Twins from management on down to Hawk grows tiring. It's one point to give them credit, quite another to endlessly slobber over their talent and "never surrender" attitude. I'm tired of it. It can't be helping anyone.

I just wonder how it affects players when they're up 4-1, the 5th inning comes around, and Gomez reaches with a single. Tell me, just from your opinion, that no one our team thought "here we go again! Those damn Pirahnas are going to win again!" The defensive miscues and wildpitches should prove some mental issues are present.

What worries me is, Hawk is citing our troubles in this dome every half inning. "Some places you just don't play well in." Well, guess what -- we have three remaining games against the Twins in the same stadium late September. It may be the deciding series in the division. Something needs to chance. Tell Guillen to put a muzzle on. Instruct Hawk to remove himself from Gomez's .254 ass. Hell, I'd love to hear Gullen guarantee a series victory next time around in Minnesota. Just SOMETHING to show we're confident in ourselves. Yes, in past seasons dismissing the Twins didn't help; but as of right now, what we're doing isn't either. This team is more talented than past seasons, and we've shown in two games the ability to get an early lead.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, couldn't agree more. Hawk's attitude prior to the Kubel homer in the 7th was disgusting. If he was on this board, soxfan1 and tony would have definitely told him to stop watching the game if he was so sure something bad was going to happen.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)
Hawk is citing our troubles in this dome every half inning. "Some places you just don't play well in." Well, guess what -- we have three remaining games against the Twins in the same stadium late September. It may be the deciding series in the division. Something needs to chance. Tell Guillen to put a muzzle on. Instruct Hawk to remove himself from Gomez's .254 ass. Hell, I'd love to hear Gullen guarantee a series victory next time around in Minnesota. Just SOMETHING to show we're confident in ourselves. Yes, in past seasons dismissing the Twins didn't help; but as of right now, what we're doing isn't either. This team is more talented than past seasons, and we've shown in two games the ability to get an early lead.

Hawk was unbearable tonight. Carlos Gomez freaking sucks. He doesn't hit for average, doesn't get on base, his SB % is not good, he doesn't hit for power. He is essentially a worthless offensive player.

Another terrible turning point is Danks having a 1-2 count on a gift strike that was awarded after a HBP, so what does he do but WALK HIM. To leadoff the inning! That's just inexcusable. As I said in the game day thread, put the White Sox in that point and you know we're not reaching base.

Logan is definitely done, I don't think anyone here would disagree with that statement. He is just terrible unless he has that sweeping slider vs. lefties, and can throw it for strikes

The problem with why our pen was so terrible, well it was a few specific things

1. they were pitching scared. whether it was playing in the dome, and it being ridiculously loud or playing behind another teams fans, they were scared shi*less

2. the score was close, and they were afraid of the twins taking the lead.

3. as a result of pitching scared, they were falling behind hitters 1-0, 2-0. Thornton had Mauer at fu*king 3-1 for cryin out loud

When every single guy you run out to the mound cannot locate his pitches, it's not a coincedence. They're all under the same mindset: Scared of pitching to contact, afraid of giving up the lead.

We need guys in our bullpen who have been in pressure situations, and can throw strikes in close games on the road. The likes of Boone "Called up from Single A" Logan, Thornton, and Dotel are not the answer

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 03:33 AM)
Hawk was unbearable tonight. Carlos Gomez freaking sucks. He doesn't hit for average, doesn't get on base, his SB % is not good, he doesn't hit for power. He is essentially a worthless offensive player.

I liked when Hawk goes "he has a lot of caught stealings, but I'm sure they were on pick offs".

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:33 PM)
Another terrible turning point is Danks having a 1-2 count on a gift strike that was awarded after a HBP, so what does he do but WALK HIM. To leadoff the inning! That's just inexcusable. As I said in the game day thread, put the White Sox in that point and you know we're not reaching base.

A lot of our pitchers have location issues when pitching in close games on the road. Remember when Logan was pitching in Baltimore earlier in the year, this is the same Boone Logan as I saw that night, and the scenario was identical. Close game, on the road, pressure situation

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 03:34 AM)
Logan is definitely done, I don't think anyone here would disagree with that statement. He is just terrible unless he has that sweeping slider vs. lefties, and can throw it for strikes

The problem with why our pen was so terrible, well it was a few specific things

1. they were pitching scared. whether it was playing in the dome, and it being ridiculously loud or playing behind another teams fans, they were scared shi*less

2. the score was close, and they were afraid of the twins taking the lead.

3. as a result of pitching scared, they were falling behind hitters 1-0, 2-0. Thornton had Mauer at fu*king 3-1 for cryin out loud

When every single guy you run out to the mound cannot locate his pitches, it's not a coincedence. They're all under the same mindset: Scared of pitching to contact, afraid of giving up the lead.

We need guys in our bullpen who have been in pressure situations, and can throw strikes in close games on the road. The likes of Boone "Called up from Single A" Logan, Thornton, and Dotel are not the answer

How about our "Gold Glove" shortstop keep Mauer's liner in front of him? Just like the Indians season opener, it led the floodgates to open.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:33 PM)

Well in Danks' defense there's not usually a 10 minute break between pitches. Bullpen just didn't bail him out.

I turned it off after the Morneau home run and didn't look back. We can't win a close game up there anymore, the Twins are in the heads of the announcers, the players, and the fans.

The bigger issue is our pitching and defense still sucks, and all the Griffey trade did, as much as I love Junior, was make both worse (although losing Masset isn't huge, but it won't help).. So much pressure on this offense right now.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:38 PM)
I turned it off after the Morneau home run and didn't look back. We can't win a close game up there anymore, the Twins are in the heads of the announcers, the players, and the fans.

The bigger issue is our pitching and defense still sucks, and all the Griffey trade did, as much as I love Junior, was make both worse (although losing Masset isn't huge, but it won't help).. So much pressure on this offense right now.

i agree 100%, unless Griffey is playing DH, or spelling Dye in RF against perhaps a pitcher Dye has huge problems with, he's a liability instead of a strength this year. that trade was pretty much pointless

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 03:40 AM)
i agree 100%, unless Griffey is playing DH, or spelling Dye in RF against perhaps a pitcher Dye has huge problems with, he's a liability instead of a strength this year. that trade was pretty much pointless

Griffey Jr. was brought in to play CF, plain and simple.

Yes, in past seasons dismissing the Twins didn't help; but as of right now, what we're doing isn't either

I understand your post, but like you said dismissing the Twins also didn't help. I think our plodders suck playing indoor baseball and it won't change. Years ago when the Royals were good and they played on astroturf, the Sox had nothing but problems in KC. Blowing a pair of four run leads is really really bad stuff.

How can Boone Logan remain on the parent club right now? He's got to be sent down despite the fact the other guys sucked as well. On to KC where it'd be nice to shell the Royals' pitching staff. Probably won't happen. KC is playing better. Vazzy vs. Hochever in the opener. Should be a 10-6 Sox win, but could easily go 10-6 KC's way as well.

For some reason, I'm starting to believe Ozzie when he says Morneau is the best hitter in baseball. Power and average guy- can't pitch him in because he'll step backwards and crush it, and if you pitch him out, he'll hit a soft single, liner in the gap, or a bomb over the fence.

But, whatever. We all wanted to be in 1st after the series and we are. If we can't win the series vs KC, then we'll be in trouble.

BTW- if a guy who was baseball illiterate had turned the game on right when they showed Kubel celebrating with the players after his HR, he'd think they had just won it all. :chair

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:37 PM)
or you know, the manager that gave them a nickname to rally around?

I watch a lot of Twins games because I like baseball, along with hoping they lose. It is surprising how often they talk about the compliments Ozzie Guillen gives their team. On Tuesday they mentioned that Ozzie said Morneau should be the most feared hitter in baseball, and I've heard before that Mauer is the best catcher in baseball according to Guillen. Other ones are how Guillen tries to mold his team like the Twins. It goes on and on and the compliments of the Twins needs to stop.

I brought this up a couple days ago...it pretty much reached my melting point tonight. Somehow, someway I'm gonna find that friggin Hawk and BJ email during telecasts on comcast and rip away. I already sent one to Ozzie saying as much too. I'm sick of this s***. I honestly am looking forward to BJ being gone and Stone in the booth to keep Hawk a little bit more in the real world.

And for as much as I've defended Swisher this year...I'm sick of his s*** too. Sit. The. Hell. Down. for a while.

I've been pissed after games before...but not like this one.

The last two losses were pathetic but they didn't really upset me that much. We should have gotten Monday's game with our ace pitcher against a guy who we've destroyed earlier in the season. Instead we just rolled over and vomited all over ourselves.

Not that I really expected it, but not getting any pitching help is really going to cost us this division. I don't think this team has enough pitching to win the race.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 1, 2008 -> 03:43 AM)
I brought this up a couple days ago...it pretty much reached my melting point tonight. Somehow, someway I'm gonna find that friggin Hawk and BJ email during telecasts on comcast and rip away. I already sent one to Ozzie saying as much too. I'm sick of this s***. I honestly am looking forward to BJ being gone and Stone in the booth to keep Hawk a little bit more in the real world.

And for as much as I've defended Swisher this year...I'm sick of his s*** too. Sit. The. Hell. Down. for a while.

I've been pissed after games before...but not like this one.

I was much more pissed on Tuesday, when we outplayed the Twins.