And that's a White Sox Winner!

justBLAZE

This time Ozzie used his head and changed pitchers in the seventh when Red Sox had the bases loaded and one out.

The Royals did us a big favor by beating the Twinkies for us.

Edited by Baines3

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 04:33 PM)
I spent the weekend with a few Red Sox fans, a few of them are actually knowledgeable to the game. While they agreed that Quentin deserves it, there's no way he wins it. Hamilton is a lock in everyone's eyes, even if they know he doesn't deserve it. It's what I've been saying for about a month.

Well then the voting process needs to be reviewed; quite bluntly, they'd be voting for Hamilton because he did heroin.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
           G   AB   R    H   2B  3B   HR   RBI   BB   SO   AVG   OBP   SLG   OPS

Hamilton 115 462 77 140 26 3 28 111 47 90 .303 .367 .554 .921

Quentin 113 420 82 120 21 1 32 90 50 68 .286 .383 .569 .952

"miles ahead" is not any way I would describe Hamilton at this point. This is a dead heat.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 08:29 PM)
With his performance today Jim Thome moved into 10th in the AL in OPS at .906 and 6th in HR with 24.

Which is funny considering how deceivingly crappy he seems this season, yet all his numbers are right there.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
"miles ahead" is not any way I would describe Hamilton at this point. This is a dead heat.

I don't know if you're refering to my "miles ahead" comment at the begining of the thread, but I said he's miles ahead in RBI's. Being more than 20 RBI's ahead is 3-4 weeks of RBI's ahead of Quentin, that's all I was saying. I never said he's miles ahead in winning the MVP.

QUOTE (Shadows @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 08:31 PM)
Which is funny considering how deceivingly crappy he seems this season, yet all his numbers are right there.

even during his struggles, he was still a better than league average player. People just hate on Jim because God IV was traded to get him.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 09:38 PM)
Uh, please do some research: 1045 OPS with RISP and a 5.7 clutch according to THBTs. For comparison, Quentin is a 4.1.

I'll stick up for him here. I don't know what the heck 5.7 clutch means, but I wouldn't consider all situations w/RISP as being clutch spots. But I think what most people are probably referring to are the following splits:

2 outs RISP .175/.365/.400 in 52 PAs

Late and Close: .207/.324/.259 in 68 PAs

Not exactly stellar.

For comparison, here are Quentin's:

2 outs RISP .282/.404/.513 in 47 PAs

Late and Close: .359/.453/.766! in 75 PAs

Clutch (Link)

"Clutch" is the name we've given to the portion of Bill James's Runs Created formula that includes the impact of a batter's batting average with runners in scoring position and the number of home runs with runners on. The specific formula is Hits with RISP minus overall BA times at bats with RISP, plus HR with runners on minus (all HR/AB) times at bats with runners on. This stat is not a definitive description of "clutch hitting," just one way of looking at it.

As it even says in their definition, it's not a definitive description of "clutch hitting." If you're a stud all the time, only slightly better when there are no runners on, you will be considered not clutch by this definition. I think that's why Carlos gets hurt by this number.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 08:22 PM)
           G   AB   R    H   2B  3B   HR   RBI   BB   SO   AVG   OBP   SLG   OPS

Hamilton 115 462 77 140 26 3 28 111 47 90 .303 .367 .554 .921 Did heroin

Quentin 113 420 82 120 21 1 32 90 50 68 .286 .383 .569 .952

You missed that all-important stat.

As unfair as it is, Hamilton is considered a shoo-in all over the media. They're the ones that do the voting. Trust me, I believe Quentin deserves it. I just don't think there's any chance it happens.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)
Exactly, but I think it's almost set in stone that he will win it.

Maybe Quentin can have an affair (does he have a wife or g/f, we know so little about his personal life) and go on the Oprah show for his "catharsis" in order to catch up with the Josh Hamilton/Rookie II Disney script.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 02:58 AM)

As unfair as it is, Hamilton is considered a shoo-in all over the media. They're the ones that do the voting. Trust me, I believe Quentin deserves it. I just don't think there's any chance it happens.

There is a chance. If Hamilton only leads the league in RBI and the Rangers miss the playoffs, then that would be an odd pick. He would need to surge ahead and also lead in HR or some other statistical category. A-Rod vs CQ right now.

Also, if the AB's were equal, Quentin would have about 100 RBI.

Quentin is top 3 in Runs, RBI, HR, and OPS.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2008 -> 02:58 AM)

I understand what you're saying, but I wouldn't say there's no chance. The Rangers aren't going to make the playoffs, they're not a popular team outside of Texas, and Hamilton's not exactly on pace to lead the league in HRs. The voting is done by the Baseball Writer's Association, not the E! Network. Therefore, the League MVP isn't exactly a media-driven popularity contest, as evidenced by Justin Morneau and Jimmy Rollins getting the award in recent years. I don't think that the regular mainstream media would've voted for those guys.

If the Sox make the playoffs, I actually think that Hamilton's going to have a tough time. How many players on non-playoff teams have made it in the past? I remember Sosa getting it in '98 over McGwire, despite Mac having better numbers. It was all because the Cubs squeaked into the playoffs. Hamilton would have to put up a truly remarkable season to be a shoo-in on a non-playoff team. Right now, it doesn't even look like he's going to match JD's stats from two years ago.

And let's say that Hamilton does get the MVP. That would be fine with me. It would be yet another case of the Sox getting the short end of the media respect stick and it would give them ample reason to play with a chip on their shoulder next season. It's a win-win.