"Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Chicago Cubs NLDS"

Brian

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 05:48 PM)
Well, the White Sox have won more playoff games in 2008 than the Cubs. No matter how our series ends, that will definitely make things easier.

How about the 2008 White Sox won more playoff games than both the 2007 AND 2008 Cubs combined? :headbang

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
Incredibly weaksauce. Yet another 90's alternative music icon has been sucked into the "mystique" of the Cubs franchise. Eddie Vedder is terrible. The End.

"Mystique" - wasn't that Pam Grier's alter-ego's name when she played that Jamaican call girl who infiltrated King George's stable in COFFY?

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
Incredibly weaksauce. Yet another 90's alternative music icon has been sucked into the "mystique" of the Cubs franchise. Eddie Vedder is terrible. The End.

First of all, he grew up a cub fan on the north shore, secondly, he isnt a 90's icon, Pearl Jam is still awesome.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, he has always been a Cubs fan and grew up in Chicago.

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Oct 5, 2008 -> 12:18 PM)
And the Cubs have Soriano signed through 2014... ouch.

I said it the day they signed him it was a terrible move. They signed a guy who can only lead off but can't lead off... he and Fukudome locked up is just terrible for the Cubs. Soriano is signed through his age 37 year at nearly 18 million. How Hendry even still has a job is a joke.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 06:32 AM)
I said it the day they signed him it was a terrible move. They signed a guy who can only lead off but can't lead off... he and Fukudome locked up is just terrible for the Cubs. Soriano is signed through his age 37 year at nearly 18 million. How Hendry even still has a job is a joke.

He has given the Cubs 2 playoff appearances in 2 years.

For that franchise...that's not that bad.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
He has given the Cubs 2 playoff appearances in 2 years.

For that franchise...that's not that bad.

I would argue that those 2 playoff appearances did more damage to Cubs fans' hopes than missing the playoffs would have.

I know more Cubs fans who doubt their ability to ever win the World Series now than I did 2 years ago.

To go in to two straight NLDS's and get smoked, looking horrible in the process, has soured many Cubs fans. Not the dopey, drunken, baseball-retarded bleacher creatures, though - they'll always be there, they'll always be drunk, and they'll always be oblivious.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
the cubs will win a ws eventually but i think it will be with a young team that comes out of nowhere -- a team not fazed by the weight of history.

The year the Cubs win it all, will be a year, like you say, when they are not expected to...like us.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
The year the Cubs win it all, will be a year, like you say, when they are not expected to...like us.

Well to be honest, only before the season were we not expected to, once we went wire to wire, we should have been expected to. As soon as a Cubs team is in first place in this city at any point of the season they will be saying that this is the year. There will never be no expectations.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
the cubs will win a ws eventually but i think it will be with a young team that comes out of nowhere -- a team not fazed by the weight of history.

There was a discussion about this idea over the weekend on the radio.

The gist of it was that the Cubs fanbase has become too impatient to let the Cubs get young. They have such a need to "win now" that management feels the pressure to stay competitive, and that leads to signing veterans rather than bringing up kids.

I think there's something to that. If they just keep "retooling" and finding that "last missing piece" and it keeps on not working, they stay saddled with long-term albatross contracts, and the cycle just repeats itself.

They HAVE to win sometime, it's just the law of averages, but I don't think it's going to be due to supreme planning on their part. One day, it's just......gonna happen.....or, if you believe my sig, maybe not...... :D

Edited by The Critic

The curse talk is so tired and played out that even all the skits and jokes are tired. There is nothing left to say, no new angle, no way to be witty or shed new light on it. It's no longer lovable to be a loser.

You're still gonna see my bootleg T shirts outside the Cell during the Sox-Cubs series that simply say "100" on them.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas