Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
No one on Iowa St would even start for Gonzaga, who lost to Portland State tonight.

I don't know, a 7 point home loss to South Dakota State, a team that was Division 2 two years ago, still pretty s***ty.

Well it was a battle of 2 very improved teams with cupcake schedule aided records in St. Louis, and I think one thing I learned is that Mizzou might never again beat Illinois. It's clear the Illini have some sort of bizarre hex on Mizzou in basketball, because I thought tonight would be another close game, if not a Mizzou win. I'm not sure what to gather from that game, although Illinois did take care of business in a series where anything can happen except an Illini loss. I still think Missouri is going to have a nice season, but tonight's game makes me finally start to believe that Illinois will too.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 23, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
You play defense against Mizzou and you win. You can't set-up the press if you can't score.

Mizzou is a very similar team to Clemson (although Clemson overall is a bit better, but they are similar). Illinois didn't shoot the ball as well tonight as the Clemson game, but the turnovers were kept under better control and the defense was improved. Seems they learned something in that game, and that Clemson loss STILL bugs me because Illinois should not lose at home when they are decent to good as they are this year, but hopefully it will continue to be something they use as a teaching tool.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 27, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)
Valley play begins tomorrow. Go Birds!

Hopefully this is where SIU can start to turn around the season. I'm not holding my breath though.

BTW, did you see that Champ and Osiris are already talking undefeated season? Ridiculous.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 06:59 AM)
Hopefully this is where SIU can start to turn around the season. I'm not holding my breath though.

BTW, did you see that Champ and Osiris are already talking undefeated season? Ridiculous.

I just want to see strides towards the end of the season, and I will be happy. To expect them to come out and take the league as a freshman heavy squad is really expecting too much, although I think its possible to compete for the title.

This is probably Creightons for the taking, IlSt will be at the top, and down the line its a free for all

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 06:59 AM)

I'm with you. I thought playing Duke and UCLA would help us improve but it hasn't. I have a feeling that this season will be the one know to me as "Waiting for Boyle to graduate" season.

Who can blame the Deadbirds? I mean with all those tough teams they played so far. =P

Valley road games are so tough, no way they go undefeated. They should be near the top though.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 28, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
Poor Kevin Dillard.

Really glad we didn't go. Good to see Dill have a great game though. I didn't get to see the game and thought something had happened to him. Phew.

Gonna take a lot of lumps this year. Sucks it has to be BMull's last season.

The Gophers polished off their non-conference schedule with an easy win over Tubby's alma mater (High Point) 82-56. A 12-0 record going into Big Ten play gives the Gophers their best start in 60 years, and is definitely reason to be excited. We haven't played anyone other than Louisville yet, so the real test will be Wednesday when Michigan State comes to the Barn to start off the Big Ten season. I can't wait.

noopy crater leaving ohio state and not nicely, either. charges of matta deceiving him over his role and such.

this will leave ohio state really, really thin at point guard. they now have simmons (two-guard in a point guard's body) and p.j. hill (who wasn't good enough to beat out a disenchanted true freshman for playing time).

bad two weeks for the buckeyes.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
noopy crater leaving ohio state and not nicely, either. charges of matta deceiving him over his role and such.

this will leave ohio state really, really thin at point guard. they now have simmons (two-guard in a point guard's body) and p.j. hill (who wasn't good enough to beat out a disenchanted true freshman for playing time).

bad two weeks for the buckeyes.

Not good at all. He was a star recruit. He wants to start and play all game as a frosh. His "family advisor" said it was a business decision. Matta should have probably played him more since Simmons sucks, but I guess they wanted to limit his min at first. Not good for the program, but it does open up a slot for next year.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)
Not good at all. He was a star recruit. He wants to start and play all game as a frosh. His "family advisor" said it was a business decision. Matta should have probably played him more since Simmons sucks, but I guess they wanted to limit his min at first. Not good for the program, but it does open up a slot for next year.

in the long term it *may* not be bad. i was not impressed with what i'd seen out of crater for the hype that preceded him. granted, he's a true frosh running point and that's never a desireable situation, so you have to cut him some slack in that regard. at the same time, he just didn't do some fundamental things very well. if he had a poor attitude on top of it (which this would seem to suggest) maybe its better to cut losses early and give matta a shot at a 09 recruit.

this puts this years team in a bad way, though, as it relates to point guard. i wonder if they take a look at offutt there.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Dec 29, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
in the long term it *may* not be bad. i was not impressed with what i'd seen out of crater for the hype that preceded him. granted, he's a true frosh running point and that's never a desireable situation, so you have to cut him some slack in that regard. at the same time, he just didn't do some fundamental things very well. if he had a poor attitude on top of it (which this would seem to suggest) maybe its better to cut losses early and give matta a shot at a 09 recruit.

this puts this years team in a bad way, though, as it relates to point guard. i wonder if they take a look at offutt there.

Offut is more of a combo guard, but I can see him eating Crater's min. Crater was really a transition PG and OSU and most of the Big Ten focus on half court sets in addition to running the break, and Crater just wants to run in space. I thought he needed some seasoning as well from the times I saw him play, but I still think he should have had more PT. Of course there are 2 McD's all americans on the bench next to him and he thinks HE is being wrongfully benched.

Also, Wall is still undecided....