Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

Duke sucks. They have 2 good players and the rest are boners.

Paulus is nothing more then a Tebow wanna-be in terms of acting like he runs the place, Nolan Smith does nothing for me, Zoubek sucks, Scheyer can't make a big 3 to save his life, McClure sucks, and Thomas is nothing but a servicable defensive guy who gets some rebounds.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
Well OSU isnt a very good team because they couldnt beat Wisconsin on a day when Wisconsin shot under 36%.

If your best shooter goes 1-8 from 3, you shouldnt win.

If your team shoots 4-18 from 3, you shouldnt win.

If your team shoots 55.3% you should win.

So once again if Wisconsin isnt a very good team, OSU is a horrible team. Because if Wisconsin even comes close to its averages 36% from 3, yesterdays game is a blow out.

OSU turned the ball over 19 times and were out rebounded by 10. OSU should be thankful that Bohannon's last 5 games he went 15/21 from 3, so he was due to miss a few last night.

A win is a win, some times you dont have your best stuff, but you fight and scrap to win.

(Edit)

And Turner is awesome, can only imagine how he would of looked as a 2 guard for Wisconsin.

Dont take it personally. OSU isnt that good of a team, so you dont need to base your argument on that. I do think however they are better than Wisco and would beat them on a neutral court most of the time. With all players who have never been to madison and played on that court, holding Wisco to an awful shooting percentage was a moral victory for me, I never expected them to win at one of the toughest places to play in the conference.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 12:37 PM)
And I didnt get to post this before since the site was down. NW players and fans should have been ashamed of their performance against ILL. The Illini Fans brought the team back into the game and the team delivered the knockout blow. All the NW players did was make dumb decisions, timeouts, passes, and the fans just sat on their hands. Kudos to the Illini fans for that win.

Nah. The reason Illinois even had an opportunity to win at the end (and did so with McCamey's shot) was the press. Northwestern looked like they had never seen a press before, and that along with a well time hot shooting streak, got Illinois the win.

As for today, it was really pretty deplorable that Illinois fell asleep and let an awful team back into the game, but a win is a win. I especially enjoyed the "Eric Gordon" chant late in the game, even though the only current consequences of his decision are he was part of the Sampson collapse which led to Indiana's record season this year, and Illinois has Mike Davis as a result of Gordon not coming to town.

I'm aware Indiana is going to be very good again in a few years, but the majority of the arena chanting "Eric Gordon" just makes you look stupid.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
I'm aware Indiana is going to be very good again in a few years, but the majority of the arena chanting "Eric Gordon" just makes you look stupid.

Yep. That's why my friends and I didn't join in, and just looked around sort of disappointed at that point.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 10:50 PM)
Yep. That's why my friends and I didn't join in, and just looked around sort of disappointed at that point.

I actually find "shut up Weber" to be pretty damn funny, but the Eric Gordon chant had me laughing in a different way. IU has a GREAT fan base to be selling out a 17,000 seat arena with a horrible team (even with the future being bright), but to hear what sounded like on television to be the vast majority of the arena chanting that just shows lack of knowledge.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 02:29 AM)
I actually find "shut up Weber" to be pretty damn funny, but the Eric Gordon chant had me laughing in a different way. IU has a GREAT fan base to be selling out a 17,000 seat arena with a horrible team (even with the future being bright), but to hear what sounded like on television to be the vast majority of the arena chanting that just shows lack of knowledge.

Yeah, most of the building was chanting it, unfortunately. A few people in front of me (I was lucky enough to be behind the basket today) tried to get it going early in the game, but luckily no one joined in and it died quickly.

I feel like all student sections must suck... I hate the Tennessee students at basketball games. They chant things that make us look so dumb. Like yelling "sucks" after players from the other team are introduced. Literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard people do at a game.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 15, 2009 -> 05:58 PM)
I mean Duke just has to fall and they call fouls on BC.

If Duke were to lose and not drop below the top 12, this voting is corrupt.

the latest polls have Duke #9 on both AP and ESPN/USA Today

Illini jump to #18 on AP

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)

Illini jump to #18 on AP

Duke should be lower. Purdue is too high. No way Mizzou should be ranked that high. And how is Wake still 8th? Whatever. Rankings don't really mean crap anyway. All about seeding.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Feb 16, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)

Illini jump to #18 on AP

It must kill voters to put MSU that high, they are determined to keep Big Ten teams as low as possible or off the rankings entirely. No matter the RPI or SOS of the conference, they are too damn slow!!

Word is that Tyler Zeller will be back for the N.C. State game. This could be great news, as there is a decent amount of time left in the regular season for him to be a factor come tournament time.

Hansborough is expected to play as well, after his slight concussion Sunday night.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 07:50 PM)
Way to go Penn State!

While this loss does end Illinois' Big Ten Championship hopes (which proves that while the league depthwise is better this year, it's still awful at the top), Penn State did little tonight that deserves credit other than show up to the arena, which it's debateable if Illinois did. To be honest, BOTH teams should be ashamed of themselves after that game, it was the most pathetic "high level" college basketball game between two teams that will be in the NCAA Tournament I have ever seen. Illinois in particular should be ashamed of themselves, at least Penn State made some plays late and found a way to win on the road.

Illinois, with a chance to make a Big Ten title run, against a team they had lost to twice in a row against at home, in a game where they needed to score 40 points in Assembly Hall to win, lost. As much as last years team (accurately so) was ripped on for being dogs who didn't care, they didn't even put up a performance that pathetic in Big 10 play last year.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 07:38 PM)
Don't know what the illini are doing, but they are in dangerous position to lose this game. They should have pretty much done enough to already get in the tourney, but Im starting to think this might be a one and done team.

They are in the NCAA Tournament because they have a pretty good resume and the at large candidate field this year is as bad as it's been in at least a decade due to the mid majors (and the Big 12 and SEC) being down. But they are definitely a one and done candidate. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if no Big 10 team survives the first weekend. Every team in the league that is a Tourney candidate is capable of losing in the 1st round, and I can only see two of them capable of winning in it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101