Official 2008-2009 College Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, really bad loss for Illinois in the sense that they MUST win games like that one if they have plans to make the NCAA Tournament. Clemson is a good team, but Illinois can't lose that one. The ending was certainly inexcuseable, but Illinois can't win playing that poorly on defense and that is where the game was realistically lost. The Bruce Weber coached team tradition of not getting a good end of game shot continues though, although really it's more on the players when there isn't a shot taken at all. Wish somebody would've called that last timeout with 5 or 6 seconds left, it was clear that was going nowhere.

And the Big 10 might have a shot this year since Jack McClinton handed them a win that otherwise doesn't happen.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
Really, really bad loss for Illinois in the sense that they MUST win games like that one if they have plans to make the NCAA Tournament. Clemson is a good team, but Illinois can't lose that one. The ending was certainly inexcuseable, but Illinois can't win playing that poorly on defense and that is where the game was realistically lost. The Bruce Weber coached team tradition of not getting a good end of game shot continues though, although really it's more on the players when there isn't a shot taken at all. Wish somebody would've called that last timeout with 5 or 6 seconds left, it was clear that was going nowhere.

And the Big 10 might have a shot this year since Jack McClinton handed them a win that otherwise doesn't happen.

That last play was 100% on McCamey. He dogged it up the court and did a piss poor job using the screen because he didn't even run his man into it. Plus Meacham was wide open in the corner and he missed him. Then decides to pass it to Frazier with about a second left.

McCamey needed to get rid of the ball a lot earlier, he can't drive or create his own shot. He was basically thinking 3 and that's about it. 10 seconds of dribbling, inexcusable. McCamey is talented, but he plays dumb. He makes bad defensive decisions and did bad things with the ball all game, unless he was just catching and shooting.

On defense too many easy buckets. Way too many points in the paint. How many shots did Clemson actually have to hit? Not many.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)
McCamey needed to get rid of the ball a lot earlier, he can't drive or create his own shot. He was basically thinking 3 and that's about it. 10 seconds of dribbling, inexcusable. McCamey is talented, but he plays dumb. He makes bad defensive decisions and did bad things with the ball all game, unless he was just catching and shooting.

On defense too many easy buckets. Way too many points in the paint. How many shots did Clemson actually have to hit? Not many.

they ran the same play the entire second half and it worked. Too many easy passes coming from the post to a driving guard in the paint. They didn't have to take any jump shots.

What should have been the re-coming out party for Illinois basketball instead turns out to be a terrible loss at home to a lesser team. Who said the ghosts of 07-08 were gone? The same choke artist team was out there tonight. Just bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

-McCamey...someterrible decisions for a PG. Why did he insist on walking up on the court the last 3 minutes of the game when were down? Not to mention with a 11 seconds left. Speaking of the last possession, why in the blue hell did he not shoot it? Everyone thought, no knew, it was going to be one of those plays where McCamey takes his man one on one. And then he did something not even Chet Frazier expected...he passed it off. McCamey thought it was a good idea to take a 12 threes today...why would one more hurt?

-Speaking of Chet Frazier, why was he out there on the last possession? Bad move when we have offensive weapons on the bench.

-I hate Raymond Skiles.

-Where was the MVP, Tisdale at? He only played ten minutes. Granted he didn't do anything in those ten minutes except foul...but still.

-For having a coach who has made a career on having his players take care of the ball and play defense, we sure did have allow every single Clemson player possible into the paint and made way, way, way, way, way too many unforced TOs. Way too many.

-Trent Meachum, your seat on the bench is waiting. Come on down, Alex Legion.

-Mike Davis...my God. Recruiting steal of the century. That "terrible" 2007 class that Bruce recruited will be one of the country's best after 4 years. Heck, it already is. Davis, Tisdale, McCamey, and probably Legion too will all be legit NBA prospects at some point. How many teams across the land start 4 sophomores?

-Now they better win out non-con play.

That Illinois game was just frustrating. What the hell was that last play about??? Absolutely inexcusable. On the bright side, Mike Davis just continues to show he's a f***ing badass. And Tisdale played terrible. I don't know why, but I just don't like him. When he was actually on the court, he turned it over, looked like a 7th grade B team basketball player trying to dribble, and couldn't even shoot (hell, I don't even think he attempted a shot).

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:04 PM)
What should have been the re-coming out party for Illinois basketball instead turns out to be a terrible loss at home to a lesser team. Who said the ghosts of 07-08 were gone? The same choke artist team was out there tonight. Just bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

-McCamey...someterrible decisions for a PG. Why did he insist on walking up on the court the last 3 minutes of the game when were down? Not to mention with a 11 seconds left. Speaking of the last possession, why in the blue hell did he not shoot it? Everyone thought, no knew, it was going to be one of those plays where McCamey takes his man one on one. And then he did something not even Chet Frazier expected...he passed it off. McCamey thought it was a good idea to take a 12 threes today...why would one more hurt?

-Speaking of Chet Frazier, why was he out there on the last possession? Bad move when we have offensive weapons on the bench.

-I hate Raymond Skiles.

-Where was the MVP, Tisdale at? He only played ten minutes. Granted he didn't do anything in those ten minutes except foul...but still.

-For having a coach who has made a career on having his players take care of the ball and play defense, we sure did have allow every single Clemson player possible into the paint and made way, way, way, way, way too many unforced TOs. Way too many.

-Trent Meachum, your seat on the bench is waiting. Come on down, Alex Legion.

-Mike Davis...my God. Recruiting steal of the century. That "terrible" 2007 class that Bruce recruited will be one of the country's best after 4 years. Heck, it already is. Davis, Tisdale, McCamey, and probably Legion too will all be legit NBA prospects at some point. How many teams across the land start 4 sophomores?

-Now they better win out non-con play.

Tonight's game was quite simple, lost due to poor defense. Now, part of the reason the defense was poor was it was put in poor positions at times due to the turnovers, but yeah that is really why they lost. The end of game shot was annoying and inexcuseable, but that is not the reason for the loss. They REALLY needed that game (sounds silly since they were undefeated, but it's true with the soft OOC schedule) which makes it more frusterating. The 2007 class is starting to look awfully good too, but they lost on Rose and Gordon that year, so naturally there was panic. The thing about those guys is they were 1 year players, and they got a couple really good 3 or 4 year players in Mike and Demetri, and Tisdale has a lot of skill too. I don't count Legion though, he's a transfer not a recruit.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
How the hell do you get dominated inside by Duke? Is Purdue really THAT weak inside?

Absolutely they are, it amazes me they were as good in the "rugged" Big Ten as they were last year with that cast of interior players. Even the ones with offensive skill like Johnson are just weak on the other end.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 10:04 PM)
This was a scary looking game coming in for Duke. Good win.

They'll lose earlier than people expect in March due to their lack of size, as is starting to become a tradition in Durham. I don't get why Coach K ignores bigs so much in recruiting these days.

Nice win by the Buckeyes over my Canes tonight. While McClinton being stupid hurt big time, we still had a 14? pt lead at the break. Bad second half perimeter defense killed us but OSU still had to make the shots and they did. Plus OSU still made shots while up 1-3pts in the final minutes, on the road which isnt easy to do against what I still think is the 3rd or 4th best ACC team.

Gotta give credit where its due and OSU showed a lot tonight and was impressive. I thought we were finally gonna pull away at 48-40 but those f***ers kept answering. Congrats Rock.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 11:26 PM)
They'll lose earlier than people expect in March due to their lack of size, as is starting to become a tradition in Durham. I don't get why Coach K ignores bigs so much in recruiting these days.

He has always favored having one true post with an athletic 4 who can stretch the court. The problem has been getting the stud center. When you have Brand or Shelden Williams you can get away with having a guy like Battier or currently Singler at the 4. I don't think he ignores big men, I think he just has a system where he feels he only needs a couple of true post players on his team. McRoberts while a good player didn't really pan out the way they hoped which hurt and Zoubek has not lived up to his ranking at all. He has a couple highly regarded PFs coming in next year btw.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 12:14 AM)
He has always favored having one true post with an athletic 4 who can stretch the court. The problem has been getting the stud center. When you have Brand or Shelden Williams you can get away with having a guy like Battier or currently Singler at the 4. I don't think he ignores big men, I think he just has a system where he feels he only needs a couple of true post players on his team. McRoberts while a good player didn't really pan out the way they hoped which hurt and Zoubek has not lived up to his ranking at all. He has a couple highly regarded PFs coming in next year btw.
Coach K. has also missed on his main big man targets recently. Brandon Wright, Patrick Paterson, and Greg Monroe shunned the Blue devils, and now it seems that he is starting to target more big men in case he swings and misses on the ones he thinks are going to come his way. Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 2, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
SIU playing defense. Nice.

Lowery said something on the post game show like "they did it their way for the first 5 games, now they're going to do it my way the rest of the season." That's the best defense we've played in 2 years. Granted, SLU is garbage but that was absolute lock down defense.

Edited by Rowand44

Purdue got an old fashioned spanking at home by the Dookies. E'twaun did nothing until midway through the second half and Purdue can not survive with that happening against any good team. He is the only real guy who can create his own scoring oppurtunities and when they are facing a good defensive team and he is shut down it's going to be UGLY for the Boilers. J. Johnson must improve his hands as well. He is extremly light in the ass and limited by that, but if he is unable to catch the ball on top of that then their low post options are pathetic.

Same old story for Clemson they tried to piss one away with some terrible free throw shooting, etc. They are talented, but still have to learn how to win.

I felt bad for the kid from Iowa he had no chance of hitting that free throw.

Miami did it to theirself, but I'm not sure an ejection was neccersary for the slap.

So far it has been very competitive challenge, hopefully the ACC will take care of buisness today, but I'll be fine as long as UNC continues to play well and handles Sparty tonight.

So, Steph Curry has a younger brother who is a true freshman at Liberty. Seth Curry is averaging 22 points and almost 5 rebounds and 2 steals per game through 6 games of his college career, shooting 45.5 percent (although "only" 37 percent beyond the arc and 71.4 from the free throw line) and Liberty is 5-1.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/81731

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 12:12 AM)
Nice win by the Buckeyes over my Canes tonight. While McClinton being stupid hurt big time, we still had a 14? pt lead at the break. Bad second half perimeter defense killed us but OSU still had to make the shots and they did. Plus OSU still made shots while up 1-3pts in the final minutes, on the road which isnt easy to do against what I still think is the 3rd or 4th best ACC team.

Gotta give credit where its due and OSU showed a lot tonight and was impressive. I thought we were finally gonna pull away at 48-40 but those f***ers kept answering. Congrats Rock.

Chicago's own Evan Turner pretty much put the team on his shoulders, im glad McClinton did that because OSU needed a win like this for some confidenc, the team is simply extremely young.

I think Miami will be a terror in ACC league play this year, they looked very good even without their best player. Having the fastest guy on the court running your point is always a plus.

QUOTE (JuiceCruz16 @ Dec 3, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
Purdue got an old fashioned spanking at home by the Dookies. E'twaun did nothing until midway through the second half and Purdue can not survive with that happening against any good team. He is the only real guy who can create his own scoring oppurtunities and when they are facing a good defensive team and he is shut down it's going to be UGLY for the Boilers. J. Johnson must improve his hands as well. He is extremly light in the ass and limited by that, but if he is unable to catch the ball on top of that then their low post options are pathetic.

Same old story for Clemson they tried to piss one away with some terrible free throw shooting, etc. They are talented, but still have to learn how to win.

I felt bad for the kid from Iowa he had no chance of hitting that free throw.

Miami did it to theirself, but I'm not sure an ejection was neccersary for the slap.

So far it has been very competitive challenge, hopefully the ACC will take care of buisness today, but I'll be fine as long as UNC continues to play well and handles Sparty tonight.

What? Clemson wasn't in the positon to piss anything away. It was Illinois that succeeded in pissing away a win with stupid turnovers, poor defense, and a terrible last possession.

My thoughts on the game:

If McCamey has dreams of the NBA, he better start playing like he cares. He's the laziest "star" player i've ever seen. Just imagine if he had a little bit of Dee Brown and Frank Williams in him. He'd be the best guard in the conference, and one of the best in the country.

Mike Davis...well, he showed a lot, but I'd say 80% of his shots were terrible in terms of form. His body never gets squared to the basket and his upper body always seem to be in front of his feet when he shoots. But whatever - he makes shots and he plays with emotion. I'll take that any day.

Tisdale showed me enough last year that he'll be a solid 3-4 year guy. I dunno about the NBA (I dunno that any of these guys will be in the NBA) but I think by his senior year he'll be like one of those white dudes up in Wisky (can't remember their names...the one specifically I'm thinking of had the tuba player girlfriend they always showed on TV) - good to great conference big men. Last night he seemed to be plagued by the McCamey syndrome - lack of emotion and mentally checked out.

Chester Frazier. Ugh. I hated you so much these last few years, but I see why Weber continues to play you and I'm beginning to change my opinion of you (for now...till you suck it up next week...) Some sick passes, some big rebounds, always good D and even a nice looking 3. If only you would have found a consistent shot... you'd have been a great college player.

Keller. Some good rebounds and a couple of good shots. He looks like the scorer that people talked about when he decided to transfer.

Weber. I can't blame anything on him in this game. His scheme was good (when the players executed), his adjustments were good (when the players executed), and he made the right substitutions throughout the whole game.

As to the future, I can't wait for Legion. One more scorer on the floor and that game goes Illinois' way by 10-15 pts. I have to believe that defense and decision making are going to be issues all season. I think this is a team that could mold into a tourney team, but they're going to have to stop making the rookie mistakes they keep making.