Mets & White Sox Have Been Talking...

nitetrain8601

The Brewers have offered CC Sabathia five years at $20 million annually, but his market is still developing. A.J. Burnett will be the consolation prize, with several teams, including the Yankees, interested. The White Sox are always wheeling, dealing, and "suggesting" and have talked to the Mets about closer Bobby Jenks.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...--+Red+Sox+news

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 10:22 PM)
BTW, Bruce was The Show last night, and said Williams and Omar were talking at length numerous times at the meetings, FWIW.

I could easily see a realistic trade of Javy and someone like Anderson for Murphy and Heilman

I believe trading Jenks away will come back to bite us in the ass. We nearly missed the playoffs due to our bullpen, regardless of our other deficiencies. Why weaken our weakest area? I personally don't believe Thornton and his reluctance to use his offspeed and affinity for letting inherited runners cross the plate is a good enough option.

If we could trade jenks for some a legit mlb ready prospect or a package built around one we should jump on it like uribe on a sizzler buffet. The save is the most overrated stat in baseball. Im not saying that it is easy to find a closer but i feel it would be easier to find a closer than to draft talent that we could receive in that kind of a deal. Maybe we could give poreda a shot at closing out of the gate. Papelbon was supposed to be a starter, and he came into the bullpen almost right away and did great. It could work, thornton could give it a shot, or dotel was a closer at one point. I think it would be stupid to just say no automatically about trading jenks for some kind of mlb prospect or a package that would make us faster younger and better all around for many years to come.

:gosox3:

Closers are not a dime a dozen. Its a special pitching skill in itself.

But, Jenks does scream TRADE HIGH, given his history and where he is right now.

There are some intriguing possibilities for other closers for the Sox... Thornton at the major league level, and Poreda and Texeira in the minors. That's three solid talents that may make good closers, a la Jenks jumping from AA in 2005.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 05:02 PM)
I believe trading Jenks away will come back to bite us in the ass. We nearly missed the playoffs due to our bullpen, regardless of our other deficiencies. Why weaken our weakest area? I personally don't believe Thornton and his reluctance to use his offspeed and affinity for letting inherited runners cross the plate is a good enough option.

Exactly how I feel. I don't care if Jenks' strikeout numbers are way down, he's pitching to contact now. If we had a stud who could take his spot and we wouldn't feel the loss then it wouldn't be a bad idea... but we don't so we shouldn't trade him.

Somebody needs to help me understand how a team gets better by trading its best relief pitcher... one of the best relief pitchers in baseball the last 3 years.

In the periods where our bullpen turned to crap the last few years, he was consistently the only guy who could get people out.

And he's young and still cheap.

So... why is this even remotely a good idea?

I'm skeptical, but open-minded and willing to be persuaded by a good argument.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 06:49 PM)
Somebody needs to help me understand how a team gets better by trading its best relief pitcher... one of the best relief pitchers in baseball the last 3 years.

In the periods where our bullpen turned to crap the last few years, he was consistently the only guy who could get people out.

I completely agree. If there is some kind of "blow me away deal" then I'm all for it, but it has to be THAT good, because I just don't see trading a top-notch closer when we all know how horrible it was to have people like Billy Koch closing for us..

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)

I'll try to throw out a few reasons...

1. He's probably at his peak of value, for many of the reasons you mentioned, so trading now could get the highest return.

2. He's had a history of injuries, which makes him a ticking time bomb of sorts.

3. His decrease in velocity was originally due to a decision on doing so, but as time goes on and it still goes down, you have to wonder if that's a bad indicator.

4. The Sox do have some talented young arms and possible closers worth considering.

5. The Sox have a few specific needs, and Jenks may be one of the best ways to address them, value-wise.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
If the Sox traded Jenks, I wonder if they would make a run at K-Rod or Fuentes possibly?

Good point but i think krod would be too expensive and really wasnt that good last year. Fuentes could be a possibility but i cant see the sox winning the bidding war there will be for him. How about taking a chance on a guy like chad cordero though. Hes one year removed from a 37 save season and would be great buy low guy if his arm is ok. Im exactly sure if it is though so if anyone has any info on him plz share.

I've made this suggestion a few times in the "dont trade Vazquez" thread, but i thought if we were to trade Javy that the Mets would be the team to trade with and Daniel Murphy and Heilman would be a good return for him. You could plug Murphy into 2b and 2nd in the lineup, and having Heilman as a mid inning reliever would allow you to explore trading Jenks or Dotel. if you made the Javy, BA, cash for Murphy and Heilman trade, you would have to consider what Bobby might be able to bring you...

i could see a scenario where we made that Javy trade to the Mets, sent Bobby and Broadway to Tampa for Sonnanstine (best case) or Edwin Jackson (more probable case) and Wade Davis, and rolled with Thornton as our closer.

These two trades would add Murphy to the offense while subtracting only BA, and we could feasably roll with a staff of Buerhle, Floyd, Danks, Sonnanstine, and Richard/Free agent with Wade Davis waiting in the wings. our bullpen would be fine with Linebrink, Dotel, Heilman, Russell, and Thornton, with other minor league guys helping out.

just a thought

Edited by Fantl916

Bobby Jenks is about to hit arb and become very expensive. He has a screw in his arm and his strikeouts have been declining, which doesn't bode well for long-term success. Trading him at peak value makes a good deal of sense. I'm not saying we should trade him, but if the Mets or somebody offer a huge package, you take it. If we could get Beltran for Javy+Bobby (dreaming here), I'd be elated.

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
i could see a scenario where we made that Javy trade to the Mets, sent Bobby and Broadway to Tampa for Sonnanstine and Wade Davis, and rolled with Thornton as our closer.

Sonnanstine is awful...he'd get destroyed pitching at the Cell.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)

Yes he's young and cheap and talented. Precisely why he might be traded. The Sox need some every day players , they need youth, they need defense, they need speed, they need... well a lot when your roster is turning into a bunch of old, injury plagued DH's. The Sox might figure with a screw in his elbow and getting 3.5 good years out of him while he was cheap they got just about all Jenks has to give before his salary jumps into the stratosphere and/or his arm explodes.

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Nov 7, 2008 -> 07:02 PM)
Bobby Jenks is about to hit arb and become very expensive. He has a screw in his arm and his strikeouts have been declining, which doesn't bode well for long-term success. Trading him at peak value makes a good deal of sense. I'm not saying we should trade him, but if the Mets or somebody offer a huge package, you take it. If we could get Beltran for Javy+Bobby (dreaming here), I'd be elated.

Beltran has a full NTC and his agent is Boras. I wouldn't doubt the Sox would need to extend his deal to waive his NTC.