Sox interested in Cuban 3rd Sacker

Al Lopez's Ghost

I was maintaining the Cuban thread in Baseball Fever but I do not do that anymore. I made that list some time ago. Not all Cuban layers are penciled nor have the talent to reach MLB. During the 90’s, Cuban used aluminum bats. This affected their adjustment to the USA. Cuba changed back to wooden bats and the success of Cuban hitters have improved dramatically. Cuban hitters are now killing the ball through all level of pro-baseball in USA and winter leagues. I can give a list later of active Cuban players.

As for Viciedo, he is 19 years old. I would have loved to see him in AFL to get some at bats for ST 2009. He is beyond his years for sure. He may gain more weight and he may end up in 1B/RF/DH. Who knows? The main thing about him is his bat and arm. I got him in a DVD. The main thing for Viciedo is to get used to America. The Chi Sox know how to do this and Ozzie speak his language unlike an American manager so communication is good. You have to be able to gain the trust of your manager even more so when you are know.

As a Cuban, I am so thankful to the White Sox for giving Cubans a shot to compete without prejudice. Many teams labeled us minor league players and do not give us a chance to compete for a roster spot. In fair to MLB teams, Cubans defect once the MLB season is under way and team budgets and plans are already set.

I went to see the ChiSox at Orioles park this season. I plan to go back even more so if young Viciedo is at the hot corner to see if I can steal an autograph. I got Alexei’s and Jose’s autographs.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing, after reading that article which does get one a little bit excited...I wonder if the relationship between KW and Torres has reached the point where they will give the Sox a final chance to pony up more money if another team comes up with a significantly more attractive offer? It could be a lot of talk, but it APPEARS as if there is a lot of mutual interest on both sides, and "comfortability" is definitely a concern for placing this kid in the right big league situation and market.

I think it's more accessibility. Keep in mind these guys are coming from an entirely different country that we have an embargo against, its not easy to open up lines of communication between a Cuban prospect and a ML team. If we have a good relationship with Torres, and since we are one of the most Cuban-friendly teams in the MLB I'd think that's the case, we have a much easier time opening up a contract negotiation than other teams.

More of a head start than a shorter finish line.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
I hope we sign this kid. It would be like getting cheated on by an average-looking chick with a s*** personality who you just were with because she helped you win a championship three years ago and then getting all mad but then bouncing back with this Cuban chick who is like 50X hotter and hits for more power.

If i could find a hot cuban chick that could hit or power id propose on the spot

Signing this guy is a good idea obviously. I think the White Sox with theor Torres relationship and Contreras and Ramirez being part of the team, probably have an advantage signing him, unless he's a guy who has dreamed about being part of another organization his whole life. I just think believing a 19 year old who has lived in Cuba for most of his life, is going to be able to adapt to the US and play in the major leagues and contribute, is asking a bit much. I think he's more like a 2011/2012 investment than a 2009 and consider it a bonus if he's able to contribute sooner.

If general manager Ken Williams has his wish, it will be with the Sox, filling a huge vacancy after Crede's expected departure.

This quote from Cowley makes me wonder either A) Cowley is a moron and thinks the Sox are going start at 3b a 19-year-old Cuban defector or B) KW is serious about this guy as a starter next year at third. I go with the first, IMO, Cowley is making too many assumptions about this kid like that he would fill Crede's spot and that he stays at third.

Signing this guy is a good idea obviously. I think the White Sox with theor Torres relationship and Contreras and Ramirez being part of the team, probably have an advantage signing him, unless he's a guy who has dreamed about being part of another organization his whole life. I just think believing a 19 year old who has lived in Cuba for most of his life, is going to be able to adapt to the US and play in the major leagues and contribute, is asking a bit much. I think he's more like a 2011/2012 investment than a 2009 and consider it a bonus if he's able to contribute sooner.

Yea but this is pretty much what was said about Alexei too.

I think you can expect him to sign for 3 mil per year between 3-4 years.

I really hope they pick this guy up. A signing like this really dampens the blow from potentially signing a type A player, which I think the sox will.

I'm thrilled to see the Sox have interest in this kid. We are talking about a phenom offensive talent. The type of guy that could be a perennial all star and potential MVP. Will it happen, who knows, but getting this type of talent in the system would be huge especially with it coming at a need position.

He probably wouldn't be ready to make a significant impact this year, but the Sox could sign him and have him set to make an impact a year from now if all goes well and who knows, maybe he surprises and develops extra early.

I'd try and offer him a 4-5 year deal worth 10-12 million (that would be a pretty solid contract for both parties, imo).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
I'm thrilled to see the Sox have interest in this kid. We are talking about a phenom offensive talent. The type of guy that could be a perennial all star and potential MVP. Will it happen, who knows, but getting this type of talent in the system would be huge especially with it coming at a need position.

He probably wouldn't be ready to make a significant impact this year, but the Sox could sign him and have him set to make an impact a year from now if all goes well and who knows, maybe he surprises and develops extra early.

I'd try and offer him a 4-5 year deal worth 10-12 million (that would be a pretty solid contract for both parties, imo).

If he pulls this off we are looking at a pretty damn solid core for a long time and KW has reloaded the team by only taking one bad season.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
If he pulls this off we are looking at a pretty damn solid core for a long time and KW has reloaded the team by only taking one bad season.

your damn right! this guy almost looks like a Cuban Ryan Howard. How are his defensive skills at the hot corner?

dayan.jpg

dayan-viciedo-conferencia-de-prensa.jpg

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 01:31 PM)
I think you can expect him to sign for 3 mil per year between 3-4 years.

I really hope they pick this guy up. A signing like this really dampens the blow from potentially signing a type A player, which I think the sox will.

For a 19 year old, a 3-4 year deal would just be absolute foolishness. The way those deals have to be structured, we have to cut them and thus we wouldn't even get draft picks if the guy walked. If he's actually 19, I have a hard, hard time believing he'll be in the big leagues and producing a lot until the last year or two of that deal (age 23).

If you're signing a 19 year old Cuban, even if it costs a little more, you have to make certain you have him under control for the usual 6-8 seasons, give or take his time in the minors. If it takes him 2-3 years to adapt to major league pitching and fill out his body, and the next thing you know you're cutting him and he's signing with the Yankees...well, we'd be pretty annoyed.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
Because the Cuban league by some reports is the equivalent of High A, or a bad AA.

*waits for a Cubano disagreement* :lol:

I used to think that but Cubano along with Alexei has probably changed my mind for good.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
Because the Cuban league by some reports is the equivalent of High A, or a bad AA.

*waits for a Cubano disagreement* :lol:

I remember Cubano saying something like he thinks the Cuban leagues are almost equal or equal to the Japanese leagues as far as the top talent goes. Not many of us thought Alexei had much of a chance to spend time with the Sox . Maybe a September call up was the most some of us hoped. What actually happened we didn't imagine in our wildest dreams until we saw him smacking the ball around in ST.

So again we should be skeptical. I mean 1st KW has to win the bidding war. Yes we have the inside track but 3rd base manned by a 19 yr. old is not very likely. Only very rare talent makes the majors at 19-20 and by all accounts this kid might grow his way out of 3rd base. We have to get more talent at the minor legue level any way and signing Dayan V. would be an excellent way to do it. And there are other defectors. Maybe the Arguelles and Iglesias kid are worth looking into also though we don't know if they all have been declared free agents or just Viciedo. All 3 are represented by Jaime Torres.

Below is what Cubano wrote at the beginning of October.

If I were Kenny Williams, I go after 3B/RF Dayan Viciedo (19-20 years old). He got good pop and you know he is ahead of most 19-20 years old. He got good arm. He used to throw 90+ MPH as a pitcher in the juniors. I think he can play in the majors next season. I go after LHP Noel Arguelles ( 19-20 years old) to help the Sox in 2 years down the road. Do not rush him?

I take a look at Juan Carlos Moreno for an utility roll next season if he shows something in the tryouts. If he can still hit (swing velocity), I let him play SS and keep Alexei at 2B if the Sox can not sign anybody else. He is a veteran.

I would take a close look at SS Jose Iglesias (19-20 years old). The problem with Viciedo is that he still growing. Maybe 3B will be to much for him. He may become a 1B though because Dye and Quentin are good. Didn't Dye sign an extension a year ago?

Viciedo has the best talent/reward combination among these guys. The upside for Noel Arguelles is good.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I think Cuban league is better than what people give it credit for. I'd also say AA is better than AAA as the talent level in AA is greater. In AAA you have a combination of top prospects getting extra seasoning, career minor leaguers, failed prospects, etc. However, AA is mainly prospects, and that is sometimes the last stop for top prospects before they hit the bigs. Eh, maybe AA is not better than AAA, but it's close IMO.

It's still okay if he ends up a 1B and replaces Konerko a couple of years down the line.

No problems with that, although the preference would be for him to play 3B. There's the option of moving him to LF when Quentin moves over to RF to replace JD, but that's a more long-term consideration.

Like with Miggy Cabrera, he's going to have a rough time finding a position. Seems like they would prefer LF/3B but he will end up at 1B/DH in all probability. As I said, that's fine...if he can have the impact with his bat, and not Kendry Morales but 30-40 homers and a boatload of RBI's. Especially great on a "speculative" contract, as opposed to paying $11 million for Aaron Rowand for ONE SEASON to be adequate and giving up talent/compensation as well. The multi-year money numbers being bandied about are what we would pay Aaron or Vazquez in just one season.

As mentioned, signing him to a 3-4 year deal is silly when his biggest impact would come in years 5/6 (expected). That's assuming his age is legit.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
Which is exactly why pinning a 19 year old Cuban to start in the majors is irresponsible.

Pinning is one thing...and I completely understand that Tony...but if he earns it and proves to be the best option out of ST and in April or May from what we have...even though he might not be completely ready is another thing IMO.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Nov 8, 2008 -> 06:24 PM)
Everyone isn't Alexei. As DA mentioned, 26 and 19 is a big difference.

I'll be thrilled if the Sox sign this kid, but expecting him to start at 3rd base this year is a major reach at this point in time.

True things, but I'm not saying I expect them to sign him and start at 3B in '09 immediately. I maintained my position on Alexei until the guy exploded and I couldn't deny it anymore.