Sox and Brewers talking Jenks....

EvilJester99

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Dec 5, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
Paul White of USA Today was on XM radio and he mentioned that the Sox and Brewers are in some heavy talks about Jenks...

With our IF set who would the Sox be asking for from the Brewers

This would make a lot of sense. I'd have an interest in numerous members of the Brewers, including Prince Fielder (of course you'd have to move Paulie but it is a deal that I'd make).

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't trade Jenks. His ERA is getting better every year and he is becoming a more complete pitcher. The reason his hits totals are going up and strike outs are going down is that he is pitching to contact and not throwing all out every pitch. He is going to have a longer career for this. Closers are the most underrated players, IMO. When you don't have a good one, it is the most frustrating thing ever. See Billy Koch.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 02:22 AM)
Jenks should not be used to acquire a group of prospects, unless one is elite. Major league starters need to be brought back for Jenks and/or Dye.

Exactly! We are getting into this cycle of thinking we will just take fringe players or think we are getting the other teams top prospects who are not ready for the bigs and believing we will be contenders next year or even in 2010. You don't give up your top players for less than major league ready impact players in my opinion. I have said it before and that's that we seem to value our own players way to little

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
Exactly! We are getting into this cycle of thinking we will just take fringe players or think we are getting the other teams top prospects who are not ready for the bigs and believing we will be contenders next year or even in 2010. You don't give up your top players for less than major league ready impact players in my opinion. I have said it before and that's that we seem to value our own players way to little

Cause it boils down to some people would rather have a highly rated farm system than actual MLB players.

I personally think we've taken the closer's role for granted the past 2-3 years or so since we've had a very good one in place. If Bobby's gone...it could end up being a circus to end games...regardless of who we get back. Just sayin....

QUOTE (Wanne @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
I personally think we've taken the closer's role for granted the past 2-3 years or so since we've had a very good one in place. If Bobby's gone...it could end up being a circus to end games...regardless of who we get back. Just sayin....

Like I keep saying, if you trade Bobby, it has to be in a deal that has the likelihood of making this team significantly better next season. Not somewhere down the road. If we're downgrading from him at the Closer's spot, we better get a significant upgrade at another spot.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
Cause it boils down to some people would rather have a highly rated farm system than actual MLB players.

Or they (incorrectly) believe that these "can't miss" players really can't miss or that some high percentage of them will pan out. Either way, the Sox need major league caliber players back in any other deals this offseason.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
Or they (incorrectly) believe that these "can't miss" players really can't miss or that some high percentage of them will pan out. Either way, the Sox need major league caliber players back in any other deals this offseason.

You know, again, I think I disagree with this statement...I'd say there's more than a few ways we could make deals that didn't require us to get back major league talent (i.e. moving someone from the bullpen other than Jenks or moving someone from AAA), but if we're going to trade one of our bigger names, JD, Jenks, Etc., then in that case it has to be for a major leaguer.

Jenks 62 innings can be replaced. The thing that made him most valuable was he was one of the best bargains in the game, that's going to change. I'll be disappointed if he isn't moved. Thing is, other teams know the value of Jenks was in large part tied directly to his salary and if you're expecting a big haul in return for him I have no doubt you'll be disappointed.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Jenks 62 innings can be replaced. The thing that made him most valuable was he was one of the best bargains in the game, that's going to change. I'll be disappointed if he isn't moved. Thing is, other teams know the value of Jenks was in large part tied directly to his salary and if you're expecting a big haul in return for him I have no doubt you'll be disappointed.

ONE of the things that make him valuable is his contract. Another thing that makes him valuable is, well, he's pretty f***in' good. I think it's ridiculous and naive to think that you can just easily replace him. Look at what happened to the Mets when Wagner went down. I'm not against trading anybody for the right package. But it better be a good one. If not, you simply don't trade him. Simple as that.

Jenks has been very good for 3.5 years now. You're taking a huge gamble that a closer will continue that run. It's just not good business particularly when the closer is due a big raise and has experienced decreasing velocity.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)

We'll if that's the case regarding a disappointing return on a trade, there's no way he should be moved. There's no doubt in my mind that he has a lot of value to the Sox at $5M in '09. I think he'll have a great year. It comes down to how much the Sox think they have a replacement in the system. Thornton scares the hell out of me as a closer. Poreda coming to ST as a starter (I'm not buying it completely - still trade bait?) Link? Anybody else. I'll bet Bobby throws closer to 80 innings this year and saves 40-45 games. Enough chances are being taken already at 3B, 2B, possibly CF. I hope he stays.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
Jenks has been very good for 3.5 years now. You're taking a huge gamble that a closer will continue that run. It's just not good business particularly when the closer is due a big raise and has experienced decreasing velocity.

Since when did 3.5 years become the lifespan of an all-star caliber closer? Last time I checked Bobby wasn't 35. The decreasing velocity piece has been beaten to death. Seems like Bobby is the only pitcher in baseball that is required to throw 100 MPH to get guys out. 92 or 93 MPH and getting guys out just isn't sexy enough. Again, Bobby isn't untouchable. If you can get a good return for him I say go for it. But to say trade him because he might break down (when he's showed absolutely no signs of breaking down) or because his velocity is down (when he's more than proven he can get the job done without hitting triple digits) are not legitimate reasons. As far as the big raise goes, and? You don't trade guys just because you might have to eventually pay them.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
Since when did 3.5 years become the lifespan of an all-star caliber closer? Last time I checked Bobby wasn't 35. The decreasing velocity piece has been beaten to death. Seems like Bobby is the only pitcher in baseball that is required to throw 100 MPH to get guys out. 92 or 93 MPH and getting guys out just isn't sexy enough. Again, Bobby isn't untouchable. If you can get a good return for him I say go for it. But to say trade him because he might break down (when he's showed absolutely no signs of breaking down) or because his velocity is down (when he's more than proven he can get the job done without hitting triple digits) are not legitimate reasons. As far as the big raise goes, and? You don't trade guys just because you might have to eventually pay them.

Yeah, if TCQ has another stellar season we should really explore the market for him. I mean he showed signs of breaking down with that wrist, and he will get a ton of money in a few years.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
This would make a lot of sense. I'd have an interest in numerous members of the Brewers, including Prince Fielder (of course you'd have to move Paulie but it is a deal that I'd make).

Wont happen this year.If new manager Ken Macha wrote out his lineup today, first baseman Prince Fielder would be his only everyday left-handed bat.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
ONE of the things that make him valuable is his contract. Another thing that makes him valuable is, well, he's pretty f***in' good. I think it's ridiculous and naive to think that you can just easily replace him. Look at what happened to the Mets when Wagner went down. I'm not against trading anybody for the right package. But it better be a good one. If not, you simply don't trade him. Simple as that.

The Mets' bullpen sucked outside of Wagner. That's an unfair comparison. Thornton, Linebrink, and Dotel are all better than anyone else the Mets had.

I'm sure nothing would happen until after Sheets, Sabathia and possibly even Frucal sign somewhere, especially Sheets and Sabathia. Until they sign the Brewers don't really know where their rotation stands. If the Sox are in the running for Frucal, then they'll have to wait that out.

The Brewers wont trade Gallardo or Parra, you should just forget about those two. They're going to lose Sabathia and even if Sheets accepts arbitration they're still left with a huge dropoff after the #3 in their rotation.

A great move would be Bobby Jenks for Alcides Escobar and Cole Gillespie. I know we have a lot of middle infield prospects in Beckham, Lillibridge, Getz and Nix but none of those guys are Escobar; hes on a totally different level as a prospect than everyone in our system except maybe Beckham. I really like Cole Gillespie, college ballplayer who's matured as a hitter... really gets on base and can steal a few bases. I'd love for the Sox to get him.

Edited by DukeNukeEm

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 6, 2008 -> 05:59 PM)
The Brewers wont trade Gallardo or Parra, you should just forget about those two. They're going to lose Sabathia and even if Sheets accepts arbitration they're still left with a huge dropoff after the #3 in their rotation.

A great move would be Bobby Jenks for Alcides Escobar and Cole Gillespie. I know we have a lot of middle infield prospects in Beckham, Lillibridge, Getz and Nix but none of those guys are Escobar; hes on a totally different level as a prospect than everyone in our system except maybe Beckham. I really like Cole Gillespie, college ballplayer who's matured as a hitter... really gets on base and can steal a few bases. I'd love for the Sox to get him.

The problem is that the Brewers, if they can't bring back either Sabathia or Sheets, it just doesn't make any sense to bring back an elite closer whose salary is projected around $5 million for 2009 and even higher for 2010 and 2011. In the process, they possibly lose him for one of the best middle infield prospects in the game that would cheap/affordable to a "rebuilding" team trying to compete with the Cubs and Cardinals. Also, I think they would learn from the $10 million they wasted on Gagne (of course, one could argue that paying half that for Jenks is much more logical). They did "okay" with Salomon Torres as the closer, but there's lots of other cheaper options out there like Brandon Lyon, Juan Cruz, Jose Valverde, etc., that wouldn't cost nearly as much as Jenks to acquire.

Sure, trying to dump Hardy would make sense, but you don't trade Top 10 MLB middle infield prospects (especially at SS) for a closer, unless it's Mariano Rivera in his prime or someone like that.

Damn Salome would be very, very nice. Then Flowers can make the 1B/DH move. From what I've read, Salome is up there as having one of the best cannons at the catching position in the minors and a damn good athlete. And Gallardo is super sexy, so I know he's not going anywhere.