Winter Meetings Chit-Chat

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sox It To Em @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 05:54 PM)
Peavy deal dead.

The CUBS pulled out? WHY? Because they didn't want to lose KEVIN HART!?!?!?

I'd still expect Peavy to be dealt. He's not going to want to play on that team for long. After seeing the pile of waste the Cubs almos got him for, maybe some other team like the Astros will figure something out.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)
Wow, did Hendry seriously kill a Peavy deal over Mark Derosa?

That cannot be the case unless Hendry is an idiot. I think that's a cover for not having the money to finalize the deal and being too scared to tell Cubs fans.

QUOTE (R.J. @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
The CUBS pulled out? WHY? Because they didn't want to lose KEVIN HART!?!?!?

I'd still expect Peavy to be dealt. He's not going to want to play on that team for long. After seeing the pile of waste the Cubs almos got him for, maybe some other team like the Astros will figure something out.

i think it was a complicated deal for the cubs from the get go....they were gonna give up dick in terms of talent, but remember with new ownership taking over, the cubs were set to take on peavy's entire contract, plus probably would have to pay half of marquis contract....if they had the financial flexability to pull this off, and didnt do it because of the prospects than they are dumb, but i think it probably came down to money in the end

QUOTE (soxpride77 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
With the Brewers offering nearly what the Yankees did to Sabathia, couldn't the Brewers pull off a trade for Peavy? They most certainly have the prospects to do it. I don't know about no trade clauses in Peavy's contracy, but it seems like the two teams would match up well.

Not if Peavy will not waive his no trade to go there. Otherwise, I do not see why not.

From mlbtraderumors.com

2:38pm: Tim Brown and Gordon Edes talked to involved execs (not with the Angels) who believes the Boras camp is "using the media to ratchet up the price beyond what any team had actually offered."

Brown and Edes say the Angels were told the Red Sox and Nationals offered eight years at about $20MM per. The Angels don't want to do an eighth year, so they'll look into trades for Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, and possibly Adrian Beltre. Raul Ibanez is the top free agent backup plan.

Brown and Edes believe Boras could insist on an opt-out clause in a deal with the Nationals.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
From mlbtraderumors.com

2:38pm: Tim Brown and Gordon Edes talked to involved execs (not with the Angels) who believes the Boras camp is "using the media to ratchet up the price beyond what any team had actually offered."

Brown and Edes say the Angels were told the Red Sox and Nationals offered eight years at about $20MM per. The Angels don't want to do an eighth year, so they'll look into trades for Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, and possibly Adrian Beltre. Raul Ibanez is the top free agent backup plan.

Brown and Edes believe Boras could insist on an opt-out clause in a deal with the Nationals.

Look at the comments about CC and SF. They never offered him anything, but actual numbers appeared in the media out of thin air.

Here's some good news:

Adrian Beltre has reportedly added the Twins to his limited no-trade clause.

It's probably not anything against Minnesota in particular, but like most players with limited no-trade clauses, Beltre can pick a new set of teams at the end of every year. In this case, he would have added Minnesota because he knew it was one of the teams most likely to pull off a deal for him. That gives him control over the situation and potentially allows him to demand an extension if talks do progress.

from cowley/suntimes.com

CF - Jerry Owens

SS - Alexei Ramirez - Although manager Ozzie Guillen didn't seem sure if Ramirez was ready to hit this high.

LF - Carlos Quentin

DH - Jim Thome

1B - Paul Konerko

RF - Jermaine Dye

C - A.J. Pierzynski

3B - Josh Fields

2B - Chris Getz

Bench

C - Corky Miller - Until Tyler Flowers takes his job in June. Plus, I just like saying Corky Miller.

INF - Brent Lillibridge

INF - Wilson Betemit

OF - Brian Anderson

Starting Rotation

LHP - Mark Buehrle

RHP - Gavin Floyd

LHP - John Danks

RHP - Jeff Marquez

LHP - Clayton Richard

Bullpen

Closer - RHP Bobby Jenks

RHP Scott Linebrink

RHP Octavio Dotel

LHP Matt Thornton

RHP D.J. Carrasco

LHP Aaron Poreda

RHP Jhonny Nunez

On the outside looking in: L. Nix, Viciedo, Cole Armstrong, Beckham, Jon Link, Lance Broadway, Jimenez (Blue Jays' castoff), Tyler Flowers, Mike MacDougal, Egbert, Wasserman, Adam Russell, Brandon Allen, Shelby, David Cook

The Orioles have waited for years for pitcher Daniel Cabrera to develop into a consistent and reliable starter, but they now have less than 24 hours to decide if they are willing to wait one more year.

The Orioles have until midnight Friday night to tender Cabrera a contract offer or allow him to become a free agent. According to one source, the club was leaning toward non-tendering the pitcher, but top team officials are mixed about the decision, largely because the club has so much uncertainty in its rotation.

Cabrera, 27, made $2.85 million last season. If he goes to arbitration, he'll likely be paid about $4 million, a hefty price for a pitcher who has gone 17-28 the past two seasons and ended last year with concerns about the health of his pitching arm.

MacPhail said that he has spoken to Cabrera's agent, Mike Powers, and he will do so again tomorrow leading up to the tender deadline.

"I'm back and forth [on Cabrera]," MacPhail said. "I have not made a final decision."mlbtraderumors.com

Edited by caulfield12