Thome Felt Worn Down Near the End of Last Season, Feels Good Now

Princess Dye

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any baseball fan knows that the game is every bit as mental as it is physical. In addition to working out all the time during the season and the travel (not to mention the actual games). These guys are watching film, working on their swing, and in the case of Thome, probably helping the younger guys out with some of the mental aspects of the game, teaching them what to look for with certain pitchers, hitters, teams, etc... There is definitely a mental drain that will take a toll on you after a while and you will get worn down. It's inevitable, I'm sure it doesn't help that he's much older and probably doesn't have the same spring in his step that he had when he was younger.

Honestly, I like Thome as much as the next guy, but I can't wait until we get rid of him. Sure he got us that homer in game 163, but 90% of the time all he's good for is a predictable ground-out to first base. I think he's been one of the biggest reason our team has been so station-to-station the past couple seasons, he clogs up the basepaths too much whenever he actually does get on base.

When the Thome era ends, I hope the Sox doesn't get another stereotypical slow plodding DH-type. I'd much rather have the DH spot utilized to give positional players more days off the field while some 5-tool-type utility player plays their positions.

I'm against the practice of having a slow player who can no longer play on the field as a DH, such as players like Thome, David Ortiz, Hafner, Sheffield, Giambi (sort of), etc etc etc.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 11:13 PM)
Any baseball fan knows that the game is every bit as mental as it is physical. In addition to working out all the time during the season and the travel (not to mention the actual games). These guys are watching film, working on their swing, and in the case of Thome, probably helping the younger guys out with some of the mental aspects of the game, teaching them what to look for with certain pitchers, hitters, teams, etc... There is definitely a mental drain that will take a toll on you after a while and you will get worn down. It's inevitable, I'm sure it doesn't help that he's much older and probably doesn't have the same spring in his step that he had when he was younger.

I agree to an extent... however, if the mental part of the game is that tough, retire. And, winters (at least the first part) you should be taking a break from it to recharge. If he didn't, knowing it's getting tougher, again, retire. I am a Thome fan, but I just don't like seeing the mental excuses on day one of spring training. It sets a terrible tone for the rest of the year.

He felt worn down near the END OF LAST SEASON as, you know, a 37 year old 18 year veteran who walked up to the plate over 600 times and has to workout like a madman throughout the season to stay in shape.

He said nothing about the offseason, just that he feels good now.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al...244246021_x.htm

Thome says he'll play for at least 2 more years

GLENDALE, Arizona (AP) — Chicago White Sox slugger Jim Thome wants to play at least two more seasons in Major League Baseball to get home run No. 600 and the World Series championship that's eluded him for 18 seasons so far.

The 38-year-old designated hitter said he felt worn down at the end of last season, and it took him a little longer to recover.

"Your body, as you get older, you feel different," Thome said. "Still, I feel good now."

Thome hit 34 homers last season with a .245 average and 90 RBIs.

He has 541 homers since he broke into the majors as a third baseman in September 1991 with Cleveland before leaving for Philadelphia in 2001. The Phillies traded him to Chicago before the 2006 season.

"I would like to hit 600 homers. I would love to win a World Series," Thome said. "I would love to see my (18-month-old) son watch what I've done."

Thome, who has never been linked with doping, said he was surprised by the recent revelations about Alex Rodriguez's steroid use.

"Unfortunately, it seems like we can't move on," Thome said. "Personally, I don't think he ever needed to do it. He's that good."

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Honestly, I like Thome as much as the next guy, but I can't wait until we get rid of him. Sure he got us that homer in game 163, but 90% of the time all he's good for is a predictable ground-out to first base.

It doesn't sound like you like him "as much as the next guy."

Me thinks you are exaggerating a bit on the 90 percent.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)
He felt worn down near the END OF LAST SEASON as, you know, a 37 year old 18 year veteran who walked up to the plate over 600 times and has to workout like a madman throughout the season to stay in shape.

Yeah, I agree. It's not like the guy just hits the 600 times and that's it.

He has to work and work and work like crazy to stay in playing shape and hitting shape.

I think the guy looks great for his age.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 03:44 AM)
never in a million years did I think I'd see this. Awesome.

It's shocking. For probably the first time ever he posted exactly what I was thinking.

I don't suppose we should debate any of the posts made in the original Dusty Baker-esque post? Seems like it would be a waste of time.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 07:32 AM)
The reason Thome didn't miss any time in '08 was because he needed his option for '09 to vest.

$100 says he doesn't get 450 at-bats this year. He'll take a break in June or July.

I don't buy that at all. The Sox were in a tight pennant race all season long, and the guy still hasn't won a ring. That's why he never sat out.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 07:32 AM)
The reason Thome didn't miss any time in '08 was because he needed his option for '09 to vest.

$100 says he doesn't get 450 at-bats this year. He'll take a break in June or July.

Take a break?

I really think a lot of people on this board seriously underestimate how much work it is to play major league baseball. Its hard to be sympathetic when they make millions to play a game, sure. But that doesn't change the reality that Jim Thome, at 37 and after playing 18 years of major league baseball, has to put in a lot of hard physical work, a lot of time, and a lot of travel on little sleep. Its not like he gets to the park at 7pm, has his 4 at-bats, and then goes home. No one does that, they wouldn't make it in the majors if they did.

I actually agree that Thome, due to age, frame, build and time in service, will probably fall back a bit in his hitting this year, and probably miss more games with nagging stuff. But I am quite sure he isn't "taking a break".

Today athletes in all sports have to maintain a much higher peak than in the past. Looking around and comparing stats from the 50s and 60s, these guys are in better shape and sharper. So I do have some empathy for Thome. Plus, he's an old man competing with kids almost half his age.

On the shut up and quit whining point, those guys in the 50s and 60s also worked real world jobs in the off season to pay the bills.

Also, when we read that some guys are on the decline side of their career, this is some of why

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 18, 2009 -> 11:49 PM)

Now that's totally different then what originally got posted. This is fine, to me.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 05:19 AM)
Good OBP or not, I'd rather not have a player who can no longer play a position on the field wasting a spot on the 25-man roster as DH. Thome's nothing more than a glorified pinch-hitter, if you think about it.

LOL, glorified pinch hitter, are you serious? I would like to see all the pinch hitters in the league that can hit 34 home runs and have a .362 OBP playing full time. You can't have speedy slap hitters as your DH, Thome is the least of this team's problems.

Edited by hawksfan61

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Feb 19, 2009 -> 07:19 AM)
Good OBP or not, I'd rather not have a player who can no longer play a position on the field wasting a spot on the 25-man roster as DH. Thome's nothing more than a glorified pinch-hitter, if you think about it.

This coming from a guy who thinks an unproven 19-year old Cuban who has never seen major league pitching will at least top Frank Thomas in home runs. It's all beginning to make sense now.

Edited by Felix