Colon/Contreras Update

kane0730

From Cowley's Blog:

They each threw 35 pitches. 2 minutes ago

Colon now finished. 6 minutes ago

Contreras done. Front office has to be thrilled with that showing. 9 minutes ago

Contreras has a lot more pop than Colon right now. 12 minutes ago

Contreras even dropping his arm down. Impressive. 13 minutes ago

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 10:11 AM)
If Jose Conteras makes the opening day roster are we changing his nickname from Count to the "Medical Miracle?"

I think the Count still works quite well. He's undead. You can't hurt him without stabbing him in the heart with a piece of wood.

colon, contreras look good in first bullpen session

this was amazing to read:

Contreras and Colon are on the same schedule, each penciled in to throw again off the mound Wednesday and then again on Mar. 7. If there are no setbacks, they will face live hitters in a batting practice session on Mar. 9, with the hope of seeing Cactus League action by Mar. 15 or 16.As far as Contreras was concerned, however, manager Ozzie Guillen can go ahead and pencil him in the starting rotation come Opening Day.

“Before I got to spring training, I felt confident I would be with the team for the opener,’’ Contreras said. “I told Ozzie. They said let’s wait and see. But once they saw me, how I’m working and walking around, they know I was serious.’’

Talk about great news, and in the case of Contreras, amazing news. Between this and the OC signing with Oakland, today is a good day for the franchise. As for the new Contreras love, he's made a shockingly fast comeback (especially for his age), and we REALLY need him, so I'm not surprised by it.

Im amazed that contreras is almost back to full strength. the guy has his ups and downs, but he works hard. having said that, i will be surprised if he can make it through an entire season. if colon/contreras combined can give us a good season i think it would be huge for the sox and their pennant hopes.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 03:46 PM)
As for all the Contreras love, this is the way I see it:

If we had a choice between Contreras and Vazquez as 5th starter, then...

Contreras>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Vazquez.

...Make that an infinite amount of >'s. :)

That depends. If we are playing .450 ball and in 4th place, Vazquez would throw 5 1-hitters in a row before allowing a run. If we are 1 game out of first, however, Vazquez would allow 430 ER in 2.1 innings of work.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 2, 2009 -> 01:48 PM)
Considering how much he gets slammed on this board, the new Contreras love is interesting.

That'll go down south if he doesn't pitch well from the get go.

I still think the Sox should be cautious with him, and give the 5th starter's job to Richard or Marquez for a month, but I doubt that's going to happen.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 3, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
That'll go down south if he doesn't pitch well from the get go.

I still think the Sox should be cautious with him, and give the 5th starter's job to Richard or Marquez for a month, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Yeah, if he doesn't pitch well immediately be prepared to hear lots of "I can't believe he rushed back from the DL. That was clearly a mistake. Cost us the season"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-03-...,0,246188.story

Bullpen sessions by Jose Contreras, Bartolo Colon please White Sox general manager Ken Williams

Sessions go well for Contreras, Colon

By Mark Gonzales | Tribune reporter

March 3, 2009

GLENDALE, Ariz. — General manager Ken Williams' birthday is April 6, which happens to be the date of the White Sox's regular-season opener.

And Monday he took a pleasing peek at what could be a surprise gift: veteran pitchers Jose Contreras and Bartolo Colon completing their recovery from injuries.

Contreras and Colon took another positive step by throwing their first bullpen sessions without any problems. Williams, flanked by manager Ozzie Guillen, pitching coach Don Cooper and trainer Herm Schneider, tried to hide his excitement over the progress that could increase the pitching depth.

"I would rather temper some of the enthusiasm, but I don't know why I want to temper it," Williams said with a smile.

Contreras threw 33 pitches from all angles and at full speed in throwing off the mound for the first time since suffering a torn left Achilles' tendon on Aug. 9. If he is ready by Opening Day, he would return nearly four months ahead of the original target date.

"It's incredible how I felt," Contreras said. "I don't have a fear of reinjuring it."

Contreras, 37, cut loose after not bothering to tape his ankle.

"I have asked that question and other questions in as many different ways as I can to the doctors, trainers and anyone who will listen," Williams said.

"And I have been assured that the way the rehab was, the way this injury happened and the way it was healed, it all works together. It needed to be tested to see how far you can take it, and then you continue to test it. It does nothing but strengthen."

Colon threw 35 pitches in a 10-minute stint. Colon underwent surgery to remove bone chips from his right elbow last year, and Cooper encouraged him to throw at his own pace.

Colon, 35, displayed better location than Contreras.

"What Bart showed is more than I expected at this stage," Williams said. "So both of them have given us a real good reason to be optimistic, along with the way some of the kids are throwing."

Contreras and Colon will throw bullpen sessions Wednesday and Saturday and then throw live batting practice the following week. There's a possibility they could throw in an exhibition game as early as March 14.

That would give them nearly four weeks before they would potentially make their first starts April 10-11 against Minnesota.

That also would give the Sox time to extend left-hander Clayton Richard and Jeff Marquez in the event either Contreras or Colon isn't ready, as well as prepare the youngsters for a long relief role that will intensify the competition in the bullpen.

"It's a lot easier to figure it out when you've got too many [candidates] versus not enough," Williams said.

mgonzales@tribune.com

I'm worried Count is going to tear that thing again, although that comes from not knowing much about the injury in general. It just cant be very common for 40 year olds to recover three months early from a devastating injury without either chemical assistance or the hand of god.