Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
Yup. I can't think of a single NFL coach who's won multiple championships and then later been proven to be breaking the rules.

Wasn't Bill Bellichek suspended for breaking some sort of rule a couple of years back?

Edited by Jenks Heat

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
Charles Woodson wins defensive player of year; Darrelle Revis finishes second

ESPN link

Awesome :headbang

I know Revis help some of the best WRs to under 35 yards receiving but Woodson had some great stats this year.

Incredible what he has done at his age.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
He is an exceptional defensive mind. You guys aren't giving him enough credit and he really didn't fail with the Jets/Patriots. Was he a huge success no, but to call him a failure is inaccurate.

The guy is a very good coach.

I called him average not a failure. I am not sure he is good enough though to make Seattle a winner.

His ability to recruit is his best asset and this means nothing in the NFL.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
I called him average not a failure. I am not sure he is good enough though to make Seattle a winner.

His ability to recruit is his best asset and this means nothing in the NFL.

His defensive mind is his best asset. His ability to recruit is #2. Albeit both are abilities are what I would consider elite.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
What makes you think the same stuff won't eventually come out about Saban and Meyer?

I am not a fan of either but thus far thre hasn't been the smoke that leads to a fire and you would think that especially with Saben that you would have heard something by now.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
I am not a fan of either but thus far thre hasn't been the smoke that leads to a fire and you would think that especially with Saben that you would have heard something by now.

How long was it at USC before the smoke really started for Carroll?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
Does Seneca have a future as a starting QB somehwre or is he only gonna be more of a wildcat/backup type player??

As an avid Seahawks fan, I can tell you that Seneca will never be more than a good backup. He gets plenty of balls batted down, he barely eclipses 6'0 and he is one of the more inaccurate passers in the league.

Edited by Knackattack

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 11:53 AM)
Zampese interviewing with the Bears for 2nd straight day. Sounds like he's meeting Cutler today.

Be glad you do not live in Chciago the commentary around here regarding the Bears coaches and the organization is just plain sad.

The nugget I heard today was that Ron Turner was told by Lovie that he was fired because the defense was the fall guy last year......great rationale. Turner felt that if he was to go, everyone should go.

Also the restraints placed on the coordinators are making them bigger puppets, especially on offense, then they were in the past. They are not even looking at legitmate candidates anymore, just guys that can fit into what Lovie wants done. I am not sure either coordinator they are looking at now has ever been part of a winning team. I am not talking about winning the superbowl, I am talking about winning one playoff game in their current positions.

The Jim Haslett conversations were disheartining as he is the kind of guy that could have turned the defense around. Viable options are dropping out or not even interviewing left and right.

Oh and Tommy Harris has let everyone know he will be a beast next year........the only way I see this happening is if it is a contract year.

Any candidate knows they may very well be gone at the end of the next season if the team doesn't turn around significantly next year.

As for Tommy Harris, he did seem to start playing better towards the end of the year. He hasn't had a regular offseason of conditioning, recovery and training in a while with the injuries and the surgeries, so I'm hopeful that he will actually earn his pay next year. But only because there's no other option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 10:08 PM)
One of the Tennessee TV networks just floated an interesting name of a former UT assistant coach to replace Kiffin: Lovie Smith.

Apparently they did contact him last year, very quietly, and he turned them down. It might be different now.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
Be glad you do not live in Chciago the commentary around here regarding the Bears coaches and the organization is just plain sad.

The nugget I heard today was that Ron Turner was told by Lovie that he was fired because the defense was the fall guy last year......great rationale. Turner felt that if he was to go, everyone should go.

Also the restraints placed on the coordinators are making them bigger puppets, especially on offense, then they were in the past. They are not even looking at legitmate candidates anymore, just guys that can fit into what Lovie wants done. I am not sure either coordinator they are looking at now has ever been part of a winning team. I am not talking about winning the superbowl, I am talking about winning one playoff game in their current positions.

The Jim Haslett conversations were disheartining as he is the kind of guy that could have turned the defense around. Viable options are dropping out or not even interviewing left and right.

Oh and Tommy Harris has let everyone know he will be a beast next year........the only way I see this happening is if it is a contract year.

Lubbie is the smartest coach in football and will never change anything. The bears like to wait...and wait....and wait to do anything. Lubbie refuses all ideas, all criticism and anything that he didn't think of himself. This D is busted and was WORSE than the offense this year and shouldn't be running that style anymore. Tommy Harris has said he will "be a beast" for the last 3 years, he took his money and turned off his work ethic.

This team is such a disaster its disgusting. And with horrible ownership, its never going to get better. You can't keep a s*** staff together just cause you like the coach as a person. We desperately need to hire a "president" like Miami, Cleveland, etc have done. Someone who understands f***ing football should be in charge of football decisions. Until then, the bears will be the cubbies of football: never a real contender, but the team is too popular for anyone to really care.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 11:08 PM)
One of the Tennessee TV networks just floated an interesting name of a former UT assistant coach to replace Kiffin: Lovie Smith.

Some guy called into one of the sports talk shows this morning and mentioned Smith, and I just had to roll my eyes. Smith would not only be a bad hire, but they couldn't pay him anything close to the Bears. If UT is going to make someone the highest paid coach in college football (which is what they would do in matching Lovie's salary with the Bears), it's not going to be Lovie Smith.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
Mike Tice? I'd be alright with that as our O-line coach. Not sure about as the OC. Honestly, I really don't know much of his history other than as the Vikings coach. I never even thought about him as a candidate.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,6522823.story

He was good with vikes before he started scalping his super bowl tickets.

Everyone is saying that the OC job is a deadend job as everyone will be gone next year but a good OC could replace Lovie as you know the bears will look for any reason to go cheap with their next hire so it will be a guy that will nto have a staff.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 13, 2010 -> 10:21 PM)
Some guy called into one of the sports talk shows this morning and mentioned Smith, and I just had to roll my eyes. Smith would not only be a bad hire, but they couldn't pay him anything close to the Bears. If UT is going to make someone the highest paid coach in college football (which is what they would do in matching Lovie's salary with the Bears), it's not going to be Lovie Smith.

That would be the single greatest thing to happen to the Bears. Lovie goes to UT and Cowher comes to Chicago. . . nope not gonna happen.