Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
Great to see a really good guy continue to succeed.(and also a fraternity brother of mine) I hope Brees takes them all the way to the Super Bowl.

You are a Sigma Chi? Me too. Where did you go to school at?

Not to be a bad guy here, but you wonder how this happens and what kind of stuff Adams was taking throughout his career (even in HS). It's just not natural for a 26-year-old to have a heart attack and these guys take so many supplements that it has to negatively affect the body. Very sad day though.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Damn. RIP

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 12:02 PM)
The Bears should get compensation somehow for him.

Did other teams get compensation for when they had a player die? I dont believe they did so I dont see how the Bears can get anything.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
Wow. Horrible news. RIP

This was my reaction.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
This might might make me sound bad but wow was that a waste of a 2nd rounder, definitely unexpected though.

This was my dads.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
Did other teams get compensation for when they had a player die? I dont believe they did so I dont see how the Bears can get anything.

If a player dies within a season of being first drafted or traded the team should get compensation, IMO.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
I wonder if they find out that he had a heart defect.

that was my first thought. i recalled what happened to the southern indiana basketball player the other day and wondered if they'd discover an enlarged heart or some other problem.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
Dont these players go through a ton of physicals? You'd think something like this would have been found by now.

How often do they do complicated things like full-body MRI scans or EKG tests during a standard physical? If he'd never had any issues with losing consciousness or something like that, there's usually not a need to do that.

There's also the possibility it could have been brought on recently through something he was taking.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
Not to be a bad guy here, but you wonder how this happens and what kind of stuff Adams was taking throughout his career (even in HS). It's just not natural for a 26-year-old to have a heart attack and these guys take so many supplements that it has to negatively affect the body. Very sad day though.

There's a reason why every High School gym now contains a difibulator, these kinds of things do happen and surprisingly often at that. According to the coroner Gaines lived for 26 years with an undiagnosed enlarged heart, you don't have to be on drugs to go into cardiac arrest in your younger years, there are many basketball and hockey players that can attest to that.