Sox at Tigers April 15th game thread 12:05 scheduled first pitch

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
BA is a fastball hitter. In Arizona, breaking pitches don't have the same depth that they do here. He can cheat a bit more, and look fastball. He has never figured out how to address pitches that move.

His approach was so much different. That little move that he makes now to bend down while the pitcher is in his windup is something he didnt do back then. That hitch is awful for him.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
Um, not even close.

He played 134 games in 2006. He was given the starting job to start the season and was given a long time to lose it before they had to make a change. He also had chances in 07 and didnt deliver. I like him as a 4th outfielder because, honestly, that's all he is.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
The Anderson train was "Hype" from the start. Don't believe the hype.

There is a reason, Jerry Owens, Dwayne Wise, Darin Erstad (old/broke down), Mackowiak all eventually started over Anderson. Its because offensively he has one of the worse swings known to man and the only way he'd ever be successful is based upon pure physical abilities (and even than, he'd have to severely improve pitch recognition, eye, etc). Basically put, BA as a good all around player is damn near impossible. I can't ever rule it out because the tools he has are tremendous, but watch him swing and you'll see why he'd struggle to hit .240 over the course of a full major league season (I'd probably pin him for more like a .220 average).

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
yeah...brent lillibridge is a really, really bad baseball player who is only good defensively

Anyone that strikes out as much as he did in the Cactus league is going to get destroyed during the regular season, unless he makes an adjustment.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 11:30 AM)
And Ozzie hardly ever uses him as a defensive replacement anyways. That's why I'd rather them just get rid of him completely. Maybe this is his chance, maybe he'll get two weeks of solid starts. I don't know.

I don't think he's the be-all CFer, but I think he needs a shot. All I'm saying. All I've ever said.

Who knows, consistent playing time may get him comfortable enough to where he shortens up enough and stops forcing things. But he has such a rigid and mechanical swing.

QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
He played 134 games in 2006. He was given the starting job to start the season and was given a long time to lose it before they had to make a change. He also had chances in 07 and didnt deliver. I like him as a 4th outfielder because, honestly, that's all he is.

He was given 40 games pretty much before he lost his starting job in 06.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
Sitting on the bench and losing your focus and sharpness

We have been playing for just over a week. If he can't stay focused for 8 games without playing, that probably explains why he hasn't taken the starting job before now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:34 PM)
Who knows, consistent playing time may get him comfortable enough to where he shortens up enough and stops forcing things. But he has such a rigid and mechanical swing.

It would be a competition with Borchard for worst overall swing mechanics...Borchard is one of the few lefties that really looked ugly up there swinging the bat.

Hawk is right, though. This game would feel a lot different for Jose at 2-0, 3-0 or 4-0. The offense is really putting the pressure on him.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
His approach was so much different. That little move that he makes now to bend down while the pitcher is in his windup is something he didnt do back then. That hitch is awful for him.

I wish we could of convinced Beane to take Anderson over Sweeney. I would rather have no power from Sweeney and a constant line drive swing than the group of fail we have that are candidates for CF right now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 02:35 PM)
Im pretty sure AJ purposely let go of that ball so he didnt have to watch another guy beat his throw.

That or he didnt want to look bad throwing a 2-hopper to second.