What number will Slayer wear?

Steve9347

Since chances are the Beckham era will probably start in the next week or so, what number do you think he will wear? I think the Sox will give him #6, the number he wore in college (and you gotta give a pimp a cool, low number like that). Oddly enough, no White Sox has worn this number since the passing of former hitting coach Charley Lau in 1984.

What are you guys guessing?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
He's been wearing 6 at every level, i imagine he'll keep it.

He wore #5 with the Barons, they have no #6 jersey. In fact they have no jerseys at all with a 6. No 6, 16, 26, 36, 46 etc. He wore #8 with Kanny last year. Eduardo Escobar was wearing #6 when Beckham joined the team. I think they'll give him #6 when he goes up.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
He wore #5 with the Barons, they have no #6 jersey. He wore #8 with Kanny last year. Eduardo Escobar was wearing #6 when Beckham joined the team. I think they'll give him #6 when he goes up.

I think it would be great if the team finally gave a player 6...and Beckham would be a good guy to give it to.

I don't think he'll get it though. I think it's a Reinsdorf thing. I don't know why, but 25 would look cool--next year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
Since chances are the Beckham era will probably start in the next week or so, what number do you think he will wear? I think the Sox will give him #6, the number he wore in college (and you gotta give a pimp a cool, low number like that). Oddly enough, no White Sox has worn this number since the passing of former hitting coach Charley Lau in 1984.

What are you guys guessing?

Perhaps he's hinting that Slayer will take a note from Swisher and pitch for an inning or two at Charlotte

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
He wore #5 with the Barons, they have no #6 jersey. In fact they have no jerseys at all with a 6. No 6, 16, 26, 36, 46 etc. He wore #8 with Kanny last year. Eduardo Escobar was wearing #6 when Beckham joined the team. I think they'll give him #6 when he goes up.

Ah, i saw he was wearing 6 with the Knights and kinda made a generalization. Sorry.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 10:58 PM)
I think you'll see him on this homestand.

I think there is more of a chance you will see Herbert-the Milkman-Perry back at 3B in the next couple weeks then Beckham up here.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
God damn Tex, you are old as hell

Well yes I am. Lau, more than just about anyone, revolutionized hitting by teaching the release of the top hand and getting a better extension. Brett, Thomas, McGwire are just a few guys who have credited Lau. Walt Hriniac (spelling??) basically was a devote and continued that with Sox hitters.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
I think there is more of a chance you will see Herbert-the Milkman-Perry back at 3B in the next couple weeks then Beckham up here.

I agree

With our 2B/3B options playing like crap, who needs our top prospect that is hitting .430 in AAA to come up and help this team. Ide be 100% against that move fa sho.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jun 2, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
Well yes I am. Lau, more than just about anyone, revolutionized hitting by teaching the release of the top hand and getting a better extension. Brett, Thomas, McGwire are just a few guys who have credited Lau. Walt Hriniac (spelling??) basically was a devote and continued that with Sox hitters.

Lau emphasized releasing the top hand after making contact with the pitch and following through with only the lower hand on the bat. This allows maximum extension of the arms and lets the bat maintain a flatter plane through the hitting zone.

I really don't understand this philosophy. After you make contact with the ball, what you do afterwards has no effect on where the ball goes.

I really don't care if you follow through with one hand on that bat or both, as I believe it has no effect on the ball.

However, that's not to say Lau's other teachings are bad or anything, as he obviously was a great hitting coach.

But, I'll take Ted Williams' book over Lau's anyday of the week.

Edited by BearSox