THE OFFICIAL SOXTALK 2009 MLB DRAFT THREAD

southsider2k5

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
Bulls***. It is about more than failed prospects.

Danny Wright is a perfect comparison. Wright was a guy who had horrible ERA and W-L at the college level, but had great strikeout numbers. They took and him and made a couple of mechanical changes, and he became an effective major leaguer until be blew out his shoulder. It would have really been interesting to see what Wright did if his shoulder didn't give out.

Wyatt Allen, 2001, Jr Tennessee

ERA IPS BB K

6.32 104 59 110

that's good K numbers and a lousy ERA. I couldn't find stats for Purvis and Biddle but both were hard throwers that hadn't performed all that great in college.

And calling Wright an effective major leaguer is a biiiiig stretch. Career ERA: 5.65

The Sox got a top 10 talent with a question mark (college K rate). That sounds like something you get around 23. The type of player is certainly a need in the organization. Anderson, Getz and Beckham have added athleticism to the Sox, but they are still pretty lacking. Danks will be another plus defender, but you don't hate the Sox pick for talent. You hate it because you don't think the Sox can coach him up.

And Wyatt Allen.

And Rob Purvis.

And Rocky Biddle.

Etc.

I know how prospects are all a hit or miss and such, and I know raw arms are extremely risky, esp. picking them way early in drafts, but I love how your comparing picks from the Schuler/Wilder days. You do realize that half the scouts we had then are now fired by us right? I dunno if these two scouts I remember off the top of my head are still with us, but I really hope both are gone cause they were bad (hint one of them still has one player/prospect left in our organization, one with the A's now who is getting his feet wet and one, a spect, in KC) Out of respect, I'm keeping their names hidden.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/jun/09...cted-milwaukee/

Morgado had a 6.35 ERA this season. He started five games and finished 4-2 with two saves.

“I am excited just about being taken,” Morgado said. “I was not expecting the White Sox at all but it is an awesome feeling. I am excited to get to work but right now I am just celebrating with my family.”

Morgado pitched 52.1 innings, giving up 55 hits and 44 runs — 37 of them earned. He had 75 strikeouts and 36 walks.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-basebl/sp.../060909aaa.html

After redshirting the 2007 season, Morgado has played a prominent role in the Tennessee pitching staff for the last two years. A second-team Freshman All-America selection, Morgado proved himself as a strikeout guru in 2008. He ranked third in the SEC with 104 strikeouts, and posted an impressive 11.66 strikeouts per nine innings to rank among the national leaders.

In 2009, the Miami, Fla., native started five games and made 15 appearances out of the bullpen. He finished the year 4-2 with a 6.36 ERA and two saves while striking out a team high 75 batters in 52 1/3 innings.

Morgado becomes the fifth Vol ever to be drafted by the White Sox.

Edited by dasox24

I don't know how you guys can really slam Holmberg. He throws 88-91 as a lefty, kind of like most major league lefties do. And he has a good feel as a prep. He should only advance further along if they sign him. I really want Thompson to sign, get him signed along with Mitchell and Phlegey and I can look past some of our potential overdrafts, etc.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:41 PM)
I don't know how you guys can really slam Holmberg. He throws 88-91 as a lefty, kind of like most major league lefties do. And he has a good feel as a prep. He should only advance further along if they sign him. I really want Thompson to sign, get him signed along with Mitchell and Phlegey and I can look past some of our potential overdrafts, etc.

The key is signing these guys. We need to keep filling up the minors with talent, so we can turn this into a first rate organization top to bottom. The more you can either fill from within, or use as chit later for a trade. The more you can get better without a large cost.

Here's BA's list of best available players going into tomorrow:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=1140

30. Max Stassi, c, Yuba City (Calif.) HS

38. Sam Dyson, rhp, South Carolina

41. Zack Von Rosenbuerg, rhp, Zachary (La.) HS

43. Brody Colvin, rhp, More HS, Lafayette, La.

45. Madison Younginer, rhp, Mauldin (S.C.) HS

47. Keyvius Sampson, rhp, Forest HS, Ocala, Fla.

55. Chris Dwyer, lhp, Clemson

59. Jeff Malm, 1b, Bishop Gorman HS, Las Vegas

60. A.J. Morris, rhp, Kansas State

62. Jason Stoffel, rhp, Arizona

63. Kent Matthes, of, Alabama

64. Angelo Songco, of, Loyola Marymount

65. Brian Goodwin, of, Rocky Mount (N.C.) HS

68. Dane Williams, rhp, Archbishop McCarthy HS, SW Ranches, Fla.

74. Jacob Stewart, of, Rocky Moutain HS, Fort Collins, Colo.

80. Ryan Jackson, ss, Miami

81. Austin Maddox, c, Eagle’s View Academy, Jacksonville, Fla.

82. Brooks Raley, lhp/of, Texas A&M

83. Andrew Doyle, rhp, Oklahoma

90. Ryan Buch, rhp, Monmouth

92. Kendal Volz, rhp, Baylor

94. Matt den Dekker, of, Florida

96. Luke Bailey, c, Troup HS, LaGrange, Ga.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:33 PM)
I'm extremely pissed right now that we didn't draft Max Walla. Just watching his scouting video, this guy has a great swing and just looks like a ball player...

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?topic_i...tent_id=4625661

This guy has just a really nice, natural swing.

No, he doesn't. He dips his head several inches when he swings, which opens up a ton of holes. I hate to be pessimistic, but you most likely just saw his scouting video today and know next to nothing about him, so being "extremely pissed" is pretty laughable.

Look, it's great that everyone here is following the draft, but let's be honest with ourselves, none of us are scouts. It's silly to be worked up about this because none of us has a goddamn clue about who is better than who because anyone can read BA and watch advanced scouting videos. It's simply asinine for anyone on this board to say such and such a team had a better draft than us because you simply have a limited knowledge of something that teams have put thousands of manhours in to. Save yourself the disappointment and wait a year to start handing out grades and complaining.

No, he doesn't. He dips his head several inches when he swings, which opens up a ton of holes. I hate to be pessimistic, but you most likely just saw his scouting video today and know next to nothing about him, so being "extremely pissed" is pretty laughable.

Look, it's great that everyone here is following the draft, but let's be honest with ourselves, none of us are scouts. It's silly to be worked up about this because none of us has a goddamn clue about who is better than who because anyone can read BA and watch advanced scouting videos. It's simply asinine for anyone on this board to say such and such a team had a better draft than us because you simply have a limited knowledge of something that teams have put thousands of manhours in to. Save yourself the disappointment and wait a year to start handing out grades and complaining.

You know I agree with you when I said "ugh" to Walla earlier. Cerb... your ass should be posting more round these parts. It really isn't the same without you bro.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:09 AM)

Great post, and please people quit ripping on the Mitchell pick before he even takes an AB in rookie ball. Just because he played football in college doesn't make him Jerry Owens for Chrissakes. If I recall correctly, Frank Thomas played football in the SEC. How'd that turn out?

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 10, 2009 -> 02:09 AM)

+10

I've (and I'd put good money on this being the case for pretty much anybody else here) never even heard of guys like Holmberg and Morgado. Let alone seen them play. I'm certainly not going to let whatever 30 second videos any dope with a computer can look at and come to a conclusion whether the guy was worthy of being drafted or not. As many as 1500 players are drafted every year. More than half of them (and that's me being conservative) won't sniff the majors. So to go apes*** whenever a guy is drafted that you don't deem worthy (and again don't know s*** about anyway) is pretty damn pathetic.

Edited by Jordan4life