Official Buyer or Seller Thread

GreatScott82

Buyer of Seller or perhaps Both?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. The White Sox are below .500 but are only 4 games behind Detroit for the division lead. Will the White Sox BUY or SELL before this year's trade deadline?

• Buy. KW will take advantage of the weak AL Central by going for it once again.
    • Sell. KW understands the future is much more important than one last crack at it with our aging veterans. Goodbye Dye, Dotel and Contreras!
    • Both. KW is too stubborn to not go for it and get younger at the same time. He will trade away some of the veterans, but also make some trades that could help us this year and the future Sox.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 05:53 PM)
two words, josh johnson

if theres anyway the sox could acquire him via trade or when he hits free agency i hope they do everything they can to get him

probably just a pipe dream though

It's never a pipe dream to imagine the Marlins trading a top young player. He'd be pretty expensive though, but yeah, that would be very awesome. I would think Josh Johnson is a much more realistic target than Haren also. Haren is going nowhere.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 06:00 PM)
It's never a pipe dream to imagine the Marlins trading a top young player. He'd be pretty expensive though, but yeah, that would be very awesome. I would think Josh Johnson is a much more realistic target than Haren also. Haren is going nowhere.

The thing that worries me about Johnson is how long will his elbow hold up?... he's got ace stuff though.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
this is probably the key. it's hard to justify a deal when you are sub-.500 as we've been for most of the year. if you get over .500 and stay there for a week or two, i can see a deal. but every time we've been close to that mark this year we've swooned.

It's probably even more difficult to justify a trade to bring in a veteran or two if we aren't talking about impact type players. Williams tried for Jake Peavy, sniffed around Oswalt, but there doens't seem to be any clear difference makers out there, and Williams is in the process of creating a good minor league system that would take a hit possibly for some ok, but not difference making, veterans.

I'm reminded of all the Sox fans who were in love with Aaron Miles 6 years or so ago when we traded him for Uribe.

You would have thought their dogs had been killed.

Ramirez will be the starting SS next season. Due to his age, his arm, his contract, superior range to Beckham...too many factors to list. When you can put up an OPS of 700-850 at that position (and possibly improving with a higher BB rate) for the contract he has, you'd be very silly to trade him unless you could get something better than Homer Bailey or Bowden in return.

Who? Was? In? Like? Let? Alone? "In Love"? With? Aaron? Freakin? Miles??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, name that misguided individual. Then laugh at her, hard.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
Agreed. No way we trade Missile or Tank. Keeping them together is good for both, especially with Jose likely departing next year. Besides, we want to stay on the good side of Jaime Torres going forward.

I don't remember Jose, Alexei and Dayan receiving no-trade clauses in their contracts when they signed their deals. But it's a bit unrealistic to expect the sox to keep all the Cuban players they sign no matter what, just to keep one agent happy, on the off chance that more free agents might come the sox way. These players sign fair market deals and are property of the sox. And just because players are traded, doesn't mean that they are mistreated. It's a business, these are men with legal representation, and the sox have to look out for their best interests.

Whether trading Jose or Alexei would be in the sox best interests, who's to say. But a case could be made that both leaving could bring back short and long term benefits to the sox.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
two words, josh johnson

if theres anyway the sox could acquire him via trade or when he hits free agency i hope they do everything they can to get him

probably just a pipe dream though

I bet the Marlins would like to trade him now that he's healthy. But they might have to move quick. Without seeing his medical records, and seeing what his prospects are far staying healthy, I wouldn't use my best trading chips to acquire him. Johnson might be able to be acquired with prospects a bit better than the Cubs used to get Rich Harden. If that was the case, I could see the sox use assets to get him [if the med records showed he had potential to throw 200 innings a year].

Now, if the Marlins wanted to move Hanley Ramirez, whose contract starts to get high in 2010....

Bailey's pitching tomorrow. Might be his last chance to impress in a Reds jersey.

There are reports that there are no decent relievers available on the market. If we're more than 6 or 7 games out after the next 10 days, KW needs to see what he can get for all of our relievers not named Matt.

What could Carrasco get us? Hes been good for a season and a half (I think he came up about that time last year) and is cheap. He could be a cheap alternative for a team. Or would he be more value to the Sox next year then whatever we could get for him?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 01:14 AM)
What could Carrasco get us? Hes been good for a season and a half (I think he came up about that time last year) and is cheap. He could be a cheap alternative for a team. Or would he be more value to the Sox next year then whatever we could get for him?

I would love to see Carrasco in a 7th inning role where he can stay in for the 8th if he's in control. I actually think he's more valuable to the Sox than as a trade piece.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
I would love to see Carrasco in a 7th inning role where he can stay in for the 8th if he's in control. I actually think he's more valuable to the Sox than as a trade piece.

Agree fully. Carrasco's role is constantly underrated in baseball. Because of his arm he probably won't command very much, and since we haven't had anyone reliable in DJ's role since Luis Vizcaino in 2005, I'd like to keep him. A good LR really takes a lot of extra pressure of the late inning guys.

I'd take offers on Jenks, Dotel, Linebrink, and even one of Poreda/Thornton. However, except in the case of Linebrink, I don't deal any of those guys unless I'm getting something pretty nice - i.e. a package of prospects or projects/change of scenery types with at least one of those prospects having a much higher ceiling that the guy we're moving. Moving any of them for potential future role players is kind of pointless.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 07:40 PM)
Tigers are up 4-0 with Verlander on the mound. We're likely going to be 7 games back and trailing a team that is on a 8 game winning streak. It's time KW...come Sunday at 4 PM, I think it will be selling season.

I don't think we make any moves until at least the beginning of the second week of July. I've said this before, but I really expect the market to flood with teams looking to dump contracts and save extra money plus maybe get some talent out of players who won't be offered arbitration. I expect teams to wait it out until at least mid-July and then I expect lots of bargains out there for the few contenders capable of assuming major salaries.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 07:33 PM)
Something to keep in mind with Dotel is that he is expected to be a Type A Free Agent.

I'd bet almost anything we're not offering arb to a $6M/year set-up man, regardless of how good he is. Even if we can't get a whole lot out of him because of that and our refusal to eat salary, I'd still like to deal him so we have a shot at signing him back over the offseason to a deal much more in line with today's market prices.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
I'd bet almost anything we're not offering arb to a $6M/year set-up man, regardless of how good he is. Even if we can't get a whole lot out of him because of that and our refusal to eat salary, I'd still like to deal him so we have a shot at signing him back over the offseason to a deal much more in line with today's market prices.

His contract shouldn't be an issue considering a team would only have to pay 2-3 million of his contract and bullpen arms are in high demand right now.

Personally, if we could dump Linebrink on some team, I'd have no problem with offering Dotel arb. Best case scenario, some team bites because of big need in the bullpen and we not only get two draft picks but also free ourselves of a good portion of contract.

However, if we can't get rid of Linebrink, offering Dotel arb would be too much of a risk. That'd be way too much money invested in two average-above average, IMO, bullpen arms with injury risks.

honestly I'm ok with us being sellers, we've got a very dynamic looking future core coming up very soon.

KW should move through the old core with no sense of nostalgia. Pods, Dye, Konerko, AJ, Thome nearly everyone in the bullpen and Jose and Bartolo should be available and at the very least bring some long term depth and reclamation projects.

The sox will rule the central again in the very near future; i just don't feel this is our year, all though i would love to be proven wrong.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 01:33 AM)
Something to keep in mind with Dotel is that he is expected to be a Type A Free Agent.

He'll be a type A free agent. Though in this economy, the sox shouldn't offer a set up man a chance to earn close to $6 mill. Dotel would jump on the sox arb. offer, and they would have to pay him. The sox should trade him before July 31, so then they can get something of value for him.

I'm calling it now... the White Sox will trade for Matt Holliday. This will be because we are still teetering on the edge of contenders in July, Carlos Quentin won't be ready this year, and our s***ty play in CF. We will move Pods to CF, and have a lineup of:

1. Pods, CF

2. Ramirez, SS

3. Holliday, LF

4. Dye, RF

5. Thome, DH

6. Konerko, 1B

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Beckham, 3B

9. Getz/Nix, 2B

Part of the reasoning will also be that Holliday can also help us not only now, but in the future, either by re-signing him or getting 2 draft picks out of him.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
I'm calling it now... the White Sox will trade for Matt Holliday. This will be because we are still teetering on the edge of contenders in July, Carlos Quentin won't be ready this year, and our s***ty play in CF. We will move Pods to CF, and have a lineup of:

1. Pods, CF

2. Ramirez, SS

3. Holliday, LF

4. Dye, RF

5. Thome, DH

6. Konerko, 1B

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Beckham, 3B

9. Getz/Nix, 2B

Part of the reasoning will also be that Holliday can also help us not only now, but in the future, either by re-signing him or getting 2 draft picks out of him.

And what do you suppose we will be giving up to get him?

I would guess it would take something like Fields, Poreda, and Jordan Danks....

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 10:31 PM)
And what do you suppose we will be giving up to get him?

I would guess it would take something like Fields, Poreda, and Jordan Danks....

Considering there is absolutely no way he will be back with the A's after this year and the A's suck right now, it's obvious they want to get something for him at the deadline, but that something has to be at least as attractive as 2 top 50 picks are. However, the A's are not gonna get as much as they gave up for him because Holliday could very likely just be a 2-3 month rental player for whichever team gets him, and Holliday is having, while it's solid, a down year in Oakland.

They need a 3B, and you can never have too much pitching. Fields or Gilmore would definitely be a part of it. However, they are stacked at young pitching right now. So while most teams might be really interested in Poreda, and to a lesser extent Richard, the A's might prefer Hudson since they have more time to develop him.

Danks is in the same category as Viciedo, Flowers, and Beckham. There isn't a way we trade him considering we want John as happy as possible for a contract extension, and Danks is our CF'er of the future.

I'm not sure what the required package would be, but I'd imagine it'd be something like Fields (his improved walk rate is probably intriguing to Beane), Poreda, and probably a lower level, high upside guy.