(Insert Celeb Here) is Dead

knightni

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 12:14 AM)
WTF DAVID BOWIE DIED :( (thought it was a hoax at first)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...tle-cancer.html

Legendary singer David Bowie has died at the age of 69 after battling cancer in secret for 18 months.

That's a bit of a shocker. Damn.

I really got into Bowie in the last two years. Some of the 60s/70s acts were too much like reading a textbook (i.e. were supposed to know them) and never did catch up. Then I actually listened to Low after getting into the stooges, and then went backwards and forward.

The thing with Bowie is he had so much associated with his theatricality that if you weren't there, it's lost how freaking good his albums were.

Also, I think the idea of this guy that brought trends to the forefront wasn't really that cool if growing up in 90s/nirvana era. Now I think it's so amazing that one guy can like, bring all of Japanese fashion to the west like Marco Polo just 40 years ago. Stuff that can't ever happen again.

Also, he just seemed to always support artists in a way that other big acts didn't. He was a really cool person I'm glad I lived when he lived.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)
I really got into Bowie in the last two years. Some of the 60s/70s acts were too much like reading a textbook (i.e. were supposed to know them) and never did catch up. Then I actually listened to Low after getting into the stooges, and then went backwards and forward.

The thing with Bowie is he had so much associated with his theatricality that if you weren't there, it's lost how freaking good his albums were.

Also, I think the idea of this guy that brought trends to the forefront wasn't really that cool if growing up in 90s/nirvana era. Now I think it's so amazing that one guy can like, bring all of Japanese fashion to the west like Marco Polo just 40 years ago. Stuff that can't ever happen again.

Also, he just seemed to always support artists in a way that other big acts didn't. He was a really cool person I'm glad I lived when he lived.

I saw him tour with Nine Inch Nails back in 95. Its really incredible to think how many artists were influenced by him. Marilyn Manson called "Mechanical Animals" his ode to Ziggy Stardust

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
Suddenly everyone's the biggest David Bowie fan ever, today.

This was one of my favorite quotes from a friend on Facebook today. I've known the guy for 5 years, we've talked music plenty of times, he overshares his love of certain types of music... never once has he mentioned David Bowie...

"While still shackled by the chains of societal conformity (my hair has remained one color and my "looks" stay remain neutral for many years now), this guy probably had as much an influence on me as any third party figure, both direct and indirect."

GTFO

Growing up when I did, I think there was a real stunted growth due to Nirvana/early 90s rock where a line was divided between serious and unserious. They destroyed the unserious, terrible corporate hair metal of the 80s, and real musicians wore their white tshirts and looked dirty.

And if you believed that, which I did for a long time, it was an easy progression back to velvet underground, stooges, etc. It was easier to understand Stones. But I never bothered to understand Bowie. There had been too many glam bowies after bowie to understand that "that" was radical.

And then you actually listen to his albums and realize you've liked Bowie this whole time, not because I liked his songs, but because everyone of the bands I liked was influenced by him. And then even though I wasn't obssessed with Bowie ever in my life, I left last years MCA exhibit thinking "I'm obssessed with david Bowie".

So I'm not shocked someone your age may have had a deep connection to the guy even though there would have been no catalyst for discussing him.

I feel as pulled as when Lou Reed died and I actually was obssessed with Lou Reed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
Suddenly everyone's the biggest David Bowie fan ever, today.

I am a fan of his music, and I am not going to pretend he changed my life or anything, but the dude had a big impact on the 70's and 80's for sure. He really opened the door for the show of rock and roll that we saw after him. Guys like Freddy Mercury probably don't make it if David Bowie doesn't open that door.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 06:19 PM)
Then, kids were exposed to Labyrinth which made him cool to an entire new generation. He just had such a cool vibe/presence to him.

Breakfast Club even opened with David Bowie lyrics :) his influences were everywhere

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz