Cowley Says it's time to trade Anderson

shakes

QUOTE (shakes @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
It's an interesting thought, but right now I think they need the outfield depth, and I think he would bring very little in a trade. I've given up believing he will ever be more than a 4th or 5th outfielder. The offseason would be a better time for this.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-joe03.article

This is the last thing I think they should do...dump Wise, keep Anderson....he's going to be a valuable piece off the bench in the event of a playoff run and appearance.

QUOTE (shakes @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
It's an interesting thought, but right now I think they need the outfield depth, and I think he would bring very little in a trade. I've given up believing he will ever be more than a 4th or 5th outfielder. The offseason would be a better time for this.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-joe03.article

Its great to be a writer. Now if he would actually talk about who would want him, and what they would give up, you might be able to call this "journalism".

From Cowley's article... "That means it's time to close the book on the Brian Anderson era and trade the former first-round pick -- not only for the Sox' sake by clearing the pending logjam, but more important, for Anderson's sake."

:chair

I absolutely do not understand the logic of people who say 'we have to trade Brian for his own good'... and that is more important than the team.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
Its great to be a writer. Now if he would actually talk about who would want him, and what they would give up, you might be able to call this "speculation and opinion".

*fixed

You have a very excellent point, I am hoping to highlight the very fine line that writers have to follow. That type of article can easily become rumor mongering etc.

BA isn't going anywhere this year. With Pods health history, CQ's current injury situation, and Dye needing his rest here and there, we will need BA and Wise the rest of the way.

But yea, i could see him being dealt in the offseason. Maybe to a team like Washington, Colorodo, San Diego, or Pittsburgh.

Unless we add another SP, i dont see KW making any significant moves with the way we are currently playing ball.

Apparantly Minnesota is making a push for Freddy Sanchez.. . I would love KW to pick him up, but Chris Getz seems to be getting more and more comfortable playing at the MLB level. Its gotta be the bacon!

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 09:03 PM)
I said we should of traded Anderson 2 years ago when he had value.

Anderson's had very little value ever since the start of 2006. At this point, he's more valuable as a defensive replacement than as a trade chip.

Interesting that once we start winning and are within 2.5 games of the Tigers we see a beat writewr clamoring to get rid of players, specifically BA. Perhaps Mr. Cowley did not pay attention the last 30 games or so. Brian has the talent and ability and is now showing the maturity to make a posiitve difference for this team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)
Anderson's had very little value ever since the start of 2006. At this point, he's more valuable as a defensive replacement than as a trade chip.

Thank you. I agree 100%. If he had any value, he would have been traded a long time ago. That is Kenny's style.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 05:10 PM)
Interesting that once we start winning and are within 2.5 games of the Tigers we see a beat writewr clamoring to get rid of players, specifically BA. Perhaps Mr. Cowley did not pay attention the last 30 games or so. Brian has the talent and ability and is now showing the maturity to make a posiitve difference for this team.

I've been as big a proponent of "the Sox should stop screwing around with Anderson and let him get extended playing time so we can see what he is once and for all." He's gotten more playing time than he ever has so far (although Ozzie is still doing more matchup crap with BA than I'd like) but he's hitting .234. If he was hitting .270 or higher, the job would be his.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 11:04 PM)
I've been as big a proponent of "the Sox should stop screwing around with Anderson and let him get extended playing time so we can see what he is once and for all." He's gotten more playing time than he ever has so far (although Ozzie is still doing more matchup crap with BA than I'd like) but he's hitting .234. If he was hitting .270 or higher, the job would be his.

The biggest issue I have with Anderson is his terrible approach with RISP. With his defense, I'd be ok with .235 batting average if he would deliver with some RBIs once in a while.

Personally, I'd keep BA for the rest of the year. He's our best defensive OF at any spot. However, I'd either have Ramirez or Pods play CF with Nix filling in the remaining spot. Also, I'd get rid of Wise and call up Kroeger. Kroeger would act as the lefty off the bench and can play either corner spot as well as 1B, and maybe even CF.

I'd try and trade Fields to Oakland. Not sure with whom I'd replace him on the bench with, but it'd have to be someone who can play the INF.

Brian has the talent and ability and is now showing the maturity to make a posiitve difference for this team.

Defensive talent and ability. The guy can't hit.

The question is who gets sent down when CQ is ready? If not BA or Wise, it has to be a reliever.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 3, 2009 -> 05:05 PM)
The biggest issue I have with Anderson is his terrible approach with RISP. With his defense, I'd be ok with .235 batting average if he would deliver with some RBIs once in a while.

For example, Beckham in about half (167-83) as many ABs has more RBI (15-11)