Halladay Superthread

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 01:18 AM)
I haven't got into the mix in this thread, but I will simply say that there is absolutely no way in hell I would trade for Halladay.

Fields and Lillbridge for Halladay?

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:19 AM)

To me thats a very close deal, but J.P. needs that high round stud/#1 SP he wanted along with his SS which will be Lilly. You better include McColluch in there to get this one done.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 01:36 AM)
To me thats a very close deal, but J.P. needs that high round stud/#1 SP he wanted along with his SS which will be Lilly. You better include McColluch in there to get this one done.

I think if we threw in Anderson he wouldn't be able to refuse and we could get away without giving up pitching.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:18 AM)
I haven't got into the mix in this thread, but I will simply say that there is absolutely no way in hell I would trade for Halladay.

So you are saying you would not trade a piece of s*** for halladay? Interesting. Is it because he is too old, makes too much money, overrated? Combination?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:19 AM)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 12, 2009 -> 12:36 AM)

Lillibridge will never be a major league player. Fields will stick around the league as long as he can until eventually he can no longer make it out of spring training (not many years down the road). Mccolluch?

This better have been entirely sarcastic.

Agree, and I also find it hard to believe that the Jays are going to get the type of package they are asking for without at least providing a negotiation window. Asking for elite minor league talent and/or Wells' inclusion in the deal shouldn't fly with anyone in this economy.

Think about this: say the Sox offer Beckham + Flowers + Poreda + Viciedo/Danks. Imagine how many teams are going to be crying poor over the offseason. Even at the time of the trade, that is a much better package than the Marlins got for Miguel Cabrera. Could we get Hanley for that? Maybe...

I don't know what the Jays will do, but not offering a negotiation window is stupid has hell. Unless Halladay has already told Ricciardi that he will not discuss anything long-term (which I wouldn't believe BTW since the economy figures to get worse before it gets better and he might be able to get more now than he would after hitting FA) then the Jays need to talk to EVERY non-AL East team about Halladay + extension. Then, take the best offer you can. If I were them I'd deal Halladay now before waiting for the offseason. Who knows what other names are going to hit the market this December? If a guy like Hanley does show up out there, even though the Marlins said they won't do it and even though the Marlins have a stadium coming, then who chases Halladay?

Over the 2009-10 offseason I would NOT be shocked to see any if not all of the following players hit the market: Cliff Lee, Hanley Ramirez, Victor Martinez, Halladay if he stays, Prince Fielder, Brandon Webb, Roy Oswalt, Carlos Lee, Aramis Ramirez, Carlos Zambrano, Carl Crawford, etc. Then you've got Lackey and Holliday as FA. Hudson and OC are out there too, along with Figgins and others. The Yankees and Red Sox can only afford so many players, and there will be lots of bargains out there that other teams will want to take advantage of if only they can dump a contract or two. Imagine what a guy like Jim Thome or Johnny Damon is going to cost in this climate? You'll be able to get a high-quality veteran bat for pennies on the dollar. Players like Hideki Matsui will have to consider playing in Japan, taking a bench role, or retiring altogether. It's going to be tough. The rich will still get richer by the richest teams, but the gap between pay for league-average players and star players is going to continue to widen by large margins. For example, Bobby Abreu vs. Matt Holliday could easily be a $10M+ difference.

Hey Kenny, good perspective on potantial trade material for the off season. I honestly also think (Have said a few times and stand by it) that no way KW listens to JP go on and on about Halladay's accomplishments and then Kenny asks about the negotiatiating window and there is deafening silence on the other side. And I would not mortgage Floyd either. The ball is in Toronto's court because they know they have the odds stacked against to wallow in 4th place mediocracy for years to come. They can listen fairly or play fairly or they can wait it out. But by the same token you are bound to have one itchy finger GM who will pull the trigger, never fails. Doc wants to win now and in our weak division some of the best odds can be found for postseason play and a possible WS ring with the right odds and team chemistry plus luck.

Edited by chisoxfan09

It's been pretty quiet thhis past weekend and early today. Think the ASB is cooling off rumors for now. This may heat up again Thursday/Friday heading into next week when it should really get interesting. Don't think anything will happen with us anymoe but KW has been known to spring out of the woodwork with interesting offers.

I don't mean to twist the thread but most of what is going on with Halladay has been discussed immensely over the last 25 pages and until an update with us occurs - no point in really repeating everything over and over again.

I did want to pose this question though in here instead of creating a whole thread.

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/articles/20...071209.txt#info

Suggests in the article dealing Adrian Gonzalez.

Would you rather have he or Halladay? And do you think the Peavy package would be enough/too much/too little?

Personally - with Thome's contract up and Dye having an option. I'd almost see what kind of help we can get for our rotation by dealing a guy like Thome. Not much I'd imagine but perhaps move for him and play Kong or Gonzo at DH?

I know we don't need offense but with those bats coming off the lineup possibly, Gonzalez is insanely affordable the next two seasons, and the uncertainty surrounding Quentin's ability to repeat any resemblence of 08'. I'd almost make a move for him and look other avenues for SP and RP.

Including potentially dealing Dye next season if we exercise his contract. Or try to push Thome to Seattle with a bullpen arm for Washburn. I know they have the Griffey thing goin on but itll help them.

Just a little topic to change the discussion a little.

Edited by Pumpkin Escobar

I don't mean to twist the thread but most of what is going on with Halladay has been discussed immensely over the last 25 pages and until an update with us occurs - no point in really repeating everything over and over again.

I did want to pose this question though in here instead of creating a whole thread.

Would you rather have he or Halladay? And do you think the Peavy package would be enough/too much/too little?

Personally - with Thome's contract up and Dye having an option. I'd almost see what kind of help we can get for our rotation by dealing a guy like Thome. Not much I'd imagine but perhaps move for him and play Kong or Gonzo at DH?

I know we don't need offense but with those bats coming off the lineup possibly, Gonzalez is insanely affordable the next two seasons, and the uncertainty surrounding Quentin's ability to repeat any resemblence of 08'. I'd almost make a move for him and look other avenues for SP and RP.

Including potentially dealing Dye next season if we exercise his contract. Or try to push Thome to Seattle with a bullpen arm for Washburn. I know they have the Griffey thing goin on but itll help them.

Pump, no issues with the new topic but it deserves its own thread. I doubt we could afford both a starting front line pitcher and Agon with our prospects, in fact it would be chasing one or the other. I don't see 1B as an issue even with Allen traded. Viciedo could be moved there as can Flowers. But time will tell.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)

Various points in reply.

1. I'd love Adrian Gonzalez. We have a clear hole in our corner OF spots right now, especially if either JD or Thome or both are gone next season. That's a hole we need to fill. Filling it mid-season, however, requires that either Quentin is hurt, Quentin or Dye move to CF, or someone goes to the bench. It's not the most practical solution, if we're assuming that TCQ is actually coming back. I'd be all over that this offseason when both Dye and Thome are filing for FA's.

2. Would I give up the Peavy deal for Gonzalez? It depends on who the PTBNL's were. I wouldn't want to part with Hudson, Viciedo, Danks, or Flowers as one of those PTBNL's. I'd do Richard + Poreda for him this offseason more than likely unless one of those 2 comes out and pitches like Johan the rest of the year.

3. Seattle isn't a logical landing point for Thome, as you note they have Griffey. Furthermore, it looks like they're considering standing pat with Bedard and Washburn because they're suddenly actually in the race and both Bedard and Washburn are pitching well. Seattle does need offense, but adding Thome to Griffey isn't going to help that offense and it's only going to subtract from their pitching. If they're trading Washburn its because we offered them something legit that would help their offense right now or something legit in terms of prospects.

4. JD's option is just not getting picked up. It's still possible he'll be re-signed, but his option will not be picked up. No one will offer him $10 million this offseason, let alone the $13 million his option is for.

Various points in reply.

1. I'd love Adrian Gonzalez. We have a clear hole in our corner OF spots right now, especially if either JD or Thome or both are gone next season. That's a hole we need to fill. Filling it mid-season, however, requires that either Quentin is hurt, Quentin or Dye move to CF, or someone goes to the bench. It's not the most practical solution, if we're assuming that TCQ is actually coming back. I'd be all over that this offseason when both Dye and Thome are filing for FA's.

2. Would I give up the Peavy deal for Gonzalez? It depends on who the PTBNL's were. I wouldn't want to part with Hudson, Viciedo, Danks, or Flowers as one of those PTBNL's. I'd do Richard + Poreda for him this offseason more than likely unless one of those 2 comes out and pitches like Johan the rest of the year.

3. Seattle isn't a logical landing point for Thome, as you note they have Griffey. Furthermore, it looks like they're considering standing pat with Bedard and Washburn because they're suddenly actually in the race and both Bedard and Washburn are pitching well. Seattle does need offense, but adding Thome to Griffey isn't going to help that offense and it's only going to subtract from their pitching. If they're trading Washburn its because we offered them something legit that would help their offense right now or something legit in terms of prospects.

4. JD's option is just not getting picked up. It's still possible he'll be re-signed, but his option will not be picked up. No one will offer him $10 million this offseason, let alone the $13 million his option is for.

Balta, is it worth moving this to its own thread? Can u as an admin do that?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 13, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
what if we offered a package of Broadway + a couple of other prospects for Halladay, would the blue jays bite?

I'm going to hope this is sarcasm, and you realize that Broadway was already traded for Castro. And that his ERA actually went up slightly from the 5.62 he put up in Charlotte when he went to the Mets.

Phil Rogers of The Chicago Tribune says to keep an eye on the White Sox in the Roy Halladay sweepstakes. He speculates that they could build a package around Gavin Floyd, but Gordon Beckham or Alexei Ramirez would be dealbreakers.

I think that a Floyd, Beckham, and Alexei for Halladay deal is pretty good for us, but I don't think we need to do it. We'd have a whole at 3B and at SS that would be hard to fill, and I think it wouldn't be worth it.

QUOTE (DC23MVP @ Jul 14, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
I think that a Floyd, Beckham, and Alexei for Halladay deal is pretty good for us, but I don't think we need to do it. We'd have a whole at 3B and at SS that would be hard to fill, and I think it wouldn't be worth it.

Yeah....no!