Halladay Superthread

chisoxfan09

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 09:05 PM)
I really think the Phillies are going to crack and offer Drabek. If that happens expect to see him in a Phillies uniform soon.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ml?eref=writers

What is so special about Drabek that would make the Blue Jays want to give up Halladay for him? He already had TJS and his Ks are way down since getting moved to AA. I'm not saying he isn't a good prospect, but why would he even be considered untouchable in the first place?

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 19, 2009 -> 10:05 PM)
I really think the Phillies are going to crack and offer Drabek. If that happens expect to see him in a Phillies uniform soon.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ml?eref=writers

i'd really like Halladay but if those names being thrown around are true the Sox definitely won't be frontrunners, or even in the mix. Nor could i blame them. Still, it would be awfully nice to have a guy who's going to go out and,most likely, shut down whatever team he's facing.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 07:21 AM)
i'd really like Halladay but if those names being thrown around are true the Sox definitely won't be frontrunners, or even in the mix. Nor could i blame them. Still, it would be awfully nice to have a guy who's going to go out and,most likely, shut down whatever team he's facing.

Hawk and Stone I believe were letting the fanbase know to stop the Halladay dreams yesterday. They mentioned Philadelphia and Boston as destinations and a couple more teams, never even mentioning the beloved.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 07:30 AM)
Hawk and Stone I believe were letting the fanbase know to stop the Halladay dreams yesterday. They mentioned Philadelphia and Boston as destinations and a couple more teams, never even mentioning the beloved.

Hawk and Stone could have been letting Toronto know that they are asking too much by indicating to the fans that is not going to happen. The Jays are probably leaking the huge packages to drive up the price and the Sox are saying we aren't going to get another outfielder and Halladay is too expensive for the Sox. The Jays are hoping to cash in on the aggressiveness. KW is letting them know he doesn't have to make the trade. The truth is somewhere in the smoke and mirrors. I'm willing to bet that KW has made his final offer.

I havent seen this mentioned on here but maybe I missed it.

I was reading last week sometime about that goofy opt-out clause that Halladay, among other major leaguers who signed their contracts before 2007 have.

The rule states that any player who signed a deal circa 2006 and earlier - that said player can demand a trade that following offseason. If the team doesn't trade him, he becomes a free agent on March 15th.

They said the rule has only been used once by Javy Vazquez ironically and thats how he got to Chicago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 07:30 AM)

That's partly because the White Sox have shown the ability to fly under the radar with trades of late. Who knew anything about Jake Peavy until it was pending his approval? The other side of this is that the Sox may not want him because of the cost of the farm system (I don't think the Sox, outside of Beckham, have any top level prospects (not to say they don't have good prospects though, but other teams like Philadelphia have more to offer). Secondly, unless the Sox are prepared to give him a 4 year extension (and historically, outside of Buehrle, they haven't of late), they risk gutting their farm system for 1 year and a stretch run. Very risky.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:09 AM)
What is so special about Drabek that would make the Blue Jays want to give up Halladay for him? He already had TJS and his Ks are way down since getting moved to AA. I'm not saying he isn't a good prospect, but why would he even be considered untouchable in the first place?

All I remember is Manuel compared him to like Tom Seaver in an interview right when this whole Halladay thing started.

He was a legit front-line prospect a couple years back I remember but why he is untouchable now is beyond me all things considered.

Kenny Williams (Chicago)

I'm going to surprise everyone and nab Halladay with a package that revolves around Alexei Ramirez and John Danks.

Buster Olney

(1:18 PM)

Kenny -- you are aggressive and you like to work under the radar, but your offer might not necessarily work for the Jays -- it all would depend on how they evaluate Alexi Ramirez. If they saw him as a constant low OBP guy who plays some erratic shortstop, then they'd probably want more than that.

Kenny Williams (Chicago)

I'm going to surprise everyone and nab Halladay with a package that revolves around Alexei Ramirez and John Danks.

Buster Olney

(1:18 PM)

Kenny -- you are aggressive and you like to work under the radar, but your offer might not necessarily work for the Jays -- it all would depend on how they evaluate Alexi Ramirez. If they saw him as a constant low OBP guy who plays some erratic shortstop, then they'd probably want more than that.

Balta, is this quote accurate? Just checked the latest buzz on MLBTR and they have the most current quotes from Olney and they do not mention KW or the Sox. How accurate is this?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:07 PM)
Balta, is this quote accurate? Just checked the latest buzz on MLBTR and they have the most current quotes from Olney and they do not mention KW or the Sox. How accurate is this?

Seriously?

That's a quote from an ESPN chat with Olney taking questions. You can enter whatever name you want, so that's probably not actually Kenny Williams, unless he likes to spend his days taunting ESPN personalities (frankly, if I was him, I'd do that on occasion).

I actually think Dotel can close games the rest of the year. If they really need to clear salary. I'm wondering if Jenks being involved in a deal to Toronto may work? Especially if we take on Rolens contract.

Jenks, Ramirez, Poreda, Richard plus 2 more prospects for Halladay and Rolen. The Jays get there SS, an expeirenced successful closer and 2 young pitchers with high cielings while shedding about $20 million in payroll for next season.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
I actually think Dotel can close games the rest of the year. If they really need to clear salary. I'm wondering if Jenks being involved in a deal to Toronto may work? Especially if we take on Rolens contract.

Jenks, Ramirez, Poreda, Richard plus 2 more prospects for Halladay and Rolen. The Jays get there SS, an expeirenced successful closer and 2 young pitchers with high cielings while shedding about $20 million in payroll for next season.

Good christ what a horrible trade that would be.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)

Dotel was a nightmare last season when he filled in for Jenks. I'm not sure I'd want to see that again. Now, saying that, even though he is a bit erratic at times, he also can dominate as well, and he doesn have good numbers. If the Sox are looking clear salary, and bring in a decent prospect, Dotel has been a productive relief pitcher for the Sox so there would be interest in him.

I highly doubt the Sox take on Rolen or any other hitter's big salary unless that team is paying a giant chunk of the contract.

I also wonder, if the Blue Jays trade Rolen and Halladay (especially him obviously), aren't they shedding payroll and going young? I know they are stuck with the contracts of Rios and Wells, but they can shed around those guys and fill in in with younger, cheaper player so I'm not sure Jenks would fall into that category.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
Dotel was a nightmare last season when he filled in for Jenks. I'm not sure I'd want to see that again. Now, saying that, even though he is a bit erratic at times, he also can dominate as well, and he doesn have good numbers. If the Sox are looking clear salary, and bring in a decent prospect, Dotel has been a productive relief pitcher for the Sox so there would be interest in him.

I highly doubt the Sox take on Rolen or any other hitter's big salary unless that team is paying a giant chunk of the contract.

I also wonder, if the Blue Jays trade Rolen and Halladay (especially him obviously), aren't they shedding payroll and going young? I know they are stuck with the contracts of Rios and Wells, but they can shed around those guys and fill in in with younger, cheaper player so I'm not sure Jenks would fall into that category.

Last year Jenks was out from the beginning of July to the 18th. Over that time span Octavio Dotel allowed 3 base runners in 5.2 IP and stranded 4 out of 5 inherited runners. He entered 8 games total, 5 with the Sox ahead and 3 with them ahead by 3 runs or less, in those 3 outings he pitched 2.2 INN allowed 1 BB, 0 H and 5 K. His 1 truly poor outings was entering the a tied game in the bottom of the 8th against KC, with one out and a runner on 2nd he got a pop out followed by a run scoring double, he then left the game and Boone Logan promptly served up a 2 run inside the park HR to Mark Teahen. (this is not a typical closer's outing) Only 1 of the 8 total outings during Jenks' absence was a 9th inning save situation, that was against the Royals with a 1 run lead, he struck out the side on 10 pitches.