We love you Gordon, oh yes we do

chisoxfan09

2007 was probably the worst season I've ever had to endure as a Sox fan. Even as we struggled post-strike through the end of the 90's, we were still a highly entertaining team to watch (Frank, Robin, Durham, Belle, Cameron, Baldwin, Sirotka, Maggs, Lee). 2007 was awful in every way imaginable. Old, slow, unathletic. No young talent to speak of at the major or minor league levels. But one crown jewel was thrust upon us due to the natural disaster that was 2007: A man named Gordon. Gordon Beckham. The same Gordom Beckham that I didn't think was ready for primetime. Again, that's why I'm posting on a message board while others get paid to do the real work.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
The really impressive thing to me so far is that he's not trying to be something he's not (as of now at least) by trying too hard to hit HR's. He's perfectly content lacing line drives all over the place.

and as he grows accustomed to hitting in the majors, he's going to learn how to take wise home run cuts every now and then. You can just see with how hard he hits the ball that he has a ton of power. As he ages, he could very easily turn into a 30+ homer kind of hitter.

I think we love Gordon because he will definitely be a .300 hitter for a lot of his peak seasons. How many times has a full time Sox hitter hit over .300 between '05 and now? Only twice. The '06 JD and PK. Outside of that, no full time Sox player has hit .300 over the past 4 years.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 08:41 PM)
I think we love Gordon because he will definitely be a .300 hitter for a lot of his peak seasons. How many times has a full time Sox hitter hit over .300 between '05 and now? Only twice. The '06 JD and PK. Outside of that, no full time Sox player has hit .300 over the past 4 years.

That is terrible.

Gordon Beckham is all kinds of good. What's amazing is that his major league numbers are nearly identical to his minor league numbers. Ideally, minor league numbers should somewhat project into the majors. For Gordon, they're absolutely spot on. What's most impressed me about Beckham, other then his walk up music, is his incredible plate discipline. Their's not a player on this team who can work as good an AB as the kid, even more incredible is that's he nearly always squares up the ball. Gordon Beckham = as advertised in nearly ever facet of the game.

Edited by Thunderbolt

How good is Gordon Beckham? He's even caught Derek Jeter's eye..

I’ll admit to being something of a Jeter cynic, but coming from him all of this makes me smile.

“The baseball world has taken notice -- starting with Jeter.

''He's playing well,'' Jeter said. ''I got a chance to talk to him a little bit because he's been on second base the whole series. He can hit, that's the bottom line. You throw him in, he pulls it; you throw him away, he hits it the other way. It looks like he's got some pop.

''He hasn't been playing third base very long, but he's been doing a good job there, too, so I'm sure he's going to be here for a long time.''

This might surprise Beckham, but Jeter has been keeping an eye on the kid who wants to duplicate the future Hall of Famer's career on the South Side.

''Yeah, man, he got up here pretty quickly,'' Jeter said. ''But if you have talent, it's hard to keep you down. He's taking advantage of an opportunity, and he's playing well.''

This is what happens after you hit five doubles in four games against the Yankees.”

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1697...eluca03.article

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 12:00 AM)
Gordon Beckham is all kinds of good. What’s amazing is that his major league numbers are nearly identical to his minor league numbers. Ideally, minor league numbers should somewhat project into the majors. For Gordon, they’re absolute spot on. What’s most impressed me about Beckham, other then his walk up music, is his incredible plate discipline. Theirs not a player on this team who can work as good an AB as the kid, even more incredible is that’s he nearly always squares up the ball. Gordon Beckham = AS Advertised in nearly ever facet of the game.

Carlos Quentin?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 01:09 AM)
Carlos Quentin?

There's no doubt that Q can work a very good at bat, but he's very much a guy who will jump on a pitch regardless of count. While their are exceptions for almost every ballplayer, Q is at his best when he attacks, Q is very good at predicting when he'll get a pitch to hit, whereas Beckham works the count to the point where he forces the opposing pitcher to throw him a good pitch to hit. I wouldn't say their approaches are dramatically different, but I think Q is a bit more aggressive, whereas Beckham has more of a patience-and drive approach. I'm accessing both players by eye though, and I'll admit I leave myself prone to making generalizations and faulty claims this way. If anybody can find some stats on this it would be greatly appreciated. On an off topic note: Here's a weird Trib article of Ryan Braun singing Beckham's praises. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,0,907311.story

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 07:20 PM)
2007 was probably the worst season I've ever had to endure as a Sox fan. Even as we struggled post-strike through the end of the 90's, we were still a highly entertaining team to watch (Frank, Robin, Durham, Belle, Cameron, Baldwin, Sirotka, Maggs, Lee). 2007 was awful in every way imaginable. Old, slow, unathletic. No young talent to speak of at the major or minor league levels. But one crown jewel was thrust upon us due to the natural disaster that was 2007: A man named Gordon. Gordon Beckham. The same Gordom Beckham that I didn't think was ready for primetime. Again, that's why I'm posting on a message board while others get paid to do the real work.

You can consider yourself very fortunate indeed that you didn't have to endure 1970 (56-106). We had the likes of Bobby Knoop, Syd O'Brien, John "Pineapple" Matias, Bob Spence, Chuck Brinkman, Jerry Janeski, Billy Wynne, Danny Murphy, Jerry Arrigo....I could go on but it's depressing me. :gosox1:

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 01:45 AM)
You can consider yourself very fortunate indeed that you didn't have to endure 1970 (56-106). We had the likes of Bobby Knoop, Syd O'Brien, John "Pineapple" Matias, Bob Spence, Chuck Brinkman, Jerry Janeski, Billy Wynne, Danny Murphy, Jerry Arrigo....I could go on but it's depressing me. :gosox1:

The 1988 and 1989 seasons almost made me deny to people that I was a Sox fan.

Ok, This kid is amazing. 17 doubles at the end of this recent Yankee four home game series. I love him in the second hole and I think he'll be getting into the Hall of Fame. And I know people are saying its his first year he won't be good in the future. Well, If he can have this order that we're in with Nix and Getz at the bottom of the order than Pods. We can win a lot of games. And hell I say who gives a f*ck about Ramirez. I mean Getz can hit a double. Nix can move him over or in. Scotty can Move him over with a bunt or so. And Beckham can bring him over as well. And those three old guys in the middle of are line up can get a couple runs there. We can be a good team if we can do it.

2212.png

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)
The 1988 and 1989 seasons almost made me deny to people that I was a Sox fan.

Yeah. They were dismal times too (Daryl Boston, Donnie Hill, Dan Pasqua, Eddie Williams, Jeff Bittiger, Joel Davis, Steve Rosenberg..god the pitching was bad. And dare I say it....Kenny Williams!

Yeah, no doubt some of your older guys around here have gone through some pretty depressing times/years compared to the 30 and under group. I became a fan in 1991. And the only years during that time for me that I can honestly say were unbearable were 1995 and 2007. As part of the 'younger' crowd (just turned 26), I can honestly say we've been pretty spoiled. You'd never know it as much as we complain around here. Sure, we only have the one title. And I for one starve for a stretch in which we're in the playoffs year-in and year-out (something like the Angels of the last 7 years). But we've certainly not had to go through anything remotely close to what Royals and Pirates fans have had to endure for the last 15 years.

QUOTE (Beckam4thehall @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 12:13 AM)
Ok, This kid is amazing. 17 doubles at the end of this recent Yankee four home game series. I love him in the second hole and I think he'll be getting into the Hall of Fame. And I know people are saying its his first year he won't be good in the future. Well, If he can have this order that we're in with Nix and Getz at the bottom of the order than Pods. We can win a lot of games. And hell I say who gives a f*ck about Ramirez. I mean Getz can hit a double. Nix can move him over or in. Scotty can Move him over with a bunt or so. And Beckham can bring him over as well. And those three old guys in the middle of are line up can get a couple runs there. We can be a good team if we can do it.

How old are you?