The Carlos Quentin Activated from DL

CSF

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 06:18 PM)
It means Brian Anderson doesn't want anything to do with the Sox and wants to be playing someplace else.

Can't really blame him. He's made his own bed somewhat and has blown opportunities but he has gotten the shaft from this organization more than a few times now.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
Frankly, I've just run out of energy lobbying for Anderson. He's going to get treated this way until he learns how to hit, whether it's the best move for the team or not.

Really? You think you have to expend a lot of energy lobbying for Anderson to take issue with this move? I don't think you have to waste much breath praising him to come to the conclusion that he can help this team win ball games more than a guy with a career .252 OBP who can be a human blooper reel in center field.

Edited by Jeremy

Its too bad they could just find a way to dump fields or just demote him, thats the guy who belongs in AAA the most. I mean seriously its freaking obvious for years now that Josh Fields cant hit a major league fastball. He belongs either out of baseball or in the minors getting at bats on how to hit stuff over 89 MPH.

I'm BA's biggest fan, but if he can't distinguish himself as being far superior to Wise, which he hasn't, this is what is going to happen. If a BA/Wise decision is the biggest problem the White Sox have from here on out, there should be an awesome parade in about 90 days. This move sucks for Anderson, but its not going to cost the White Sox wins.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 07:02 PM)
Eh Wise/Anderson whatever. . THE HULK HOGAN OF BASEBALL IS BACK!!!!!

This is all I care about. The team just received it's best player, yet most of this thread consists of people arguing which is better between piss and s***.

I'm not sure how I feel about TCQ coming back. Is he healthy? Is he ready to be here? If so, then that's awesome, and this becomes a playoff team. If not, then I don't see what there is to be excited about.

Oh, and yeah Wise doesn't really add anything to this team except as an occasional PR.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 06:22 AM)
I'm BA's biggest fan, but if he can't distinguish himself as being far superior to Wise, which he hasn't, this is what is going to happen. If a BA/Wise decision is the biggest problem the White Sox have from here on out, there should be an awesome parade in about 90 days. This move sucks for Anderson, but its not going to cost the White Sox wins.

Can I hold you to that? Later in the year pitchers are tired...balls get left up...Defense becomes paramount. Just makes no sense to keep a pinch runner over a high caliber defensive replacement and that's really what was done here.

I was very dissapointed in what Guillen said about BA. We then send BA down and keep the fellow hitting about abuck ninety who can't play the OF anywhere near the caliber of Anderson. And I am not anti-Wise here either. If D Wise is our option I hope he steps up.

And I don't think Ozzie Guillen is racist. Reading that story made me angry. If the rationale is to open BA's eyes then I hope that happens and the kid plays hard to be with the Sox. But, if as the team leadership seems to think BA is playing hard only to look at being traded so he can play all the time then Anderson is wrong. I guess time will tell

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
If Guillen was racist then someone has to explain to me why he keeps bringing Linebrink in during close games.

Hating Brian Anderson with a passion unbeknownst to most men is not necessarily equal to being a racist.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
I think SHIPPS is maybe trying for the anti-jinx. I don't think he's seriously THAT convinced he can't contribute.

^^^

But if I actually say that out loud than it wont work......f*** does this count...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:51 AM)
Hating Brian Anderson with a passion unbeknownst to most men is not necessarily equal to being a racist.

Yet, that is what it is labeled as. Even Cowley brought it up yesterday on B&B, he said that BA punching Guillen Jr and Ozzie being racist are two pretty big urban legends regarding the dynamic between BA and OG

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
This is all I care about. The team just received it's best player, yet most of this thread consists of people arguing which is better between piss and s***.

Best player? Based on less than one season of baseball?

Our best player is Dye, no doubt. Arguments can even be made for Thome and Konerko.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
Best player? Based on less than one season of baseball?

Our best player is Dye, no doubt. Arguments can even be made for Thome and Konerko.

Mark Buehrle > *

Best hitter I'd say Dye or Konerko...

Last season though Quentin was our best player and if he can get back to that form - itd be hard not to view him that way again.

Per the JR interview in the Trib,

Gar has said the organization wants to get back to more of a defensive philosophy. That's something you've endorsed in the past. Do you emphasize that to the coaching staff?

Yes. I absolutely believe that in every sport that I'm familiar with defense is more important than offense. Even in tennis, just hit the ball back and the other person will eventually make a mistake. Golf, hit the ball down the middle. Clearly in the Super Bowl, the defensive teams win. In baseball, it's pitching and defense. I'm absolutely convinced that defense is more important and that we need to become a better defensive team than we were. We have things in place with the restructuring of the staff that that's going to happen.

So seems even Jerry would have wanted BA to stick around.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 08:03 AM)
I'm not sure how I feel about TCQ coming back. Is he healthy? Is he ready to be here? If so, then that's awesome, and this becomes a playoff team. If not, then I don't see what there is to be excited about.

Oh, and yeah Wise doesn't really add anything to this team except as an occasional PR.

TCQ is as healthy as he's going to be this season. He'll never be 100 percent until he has surgery in all likelihood, so we might as well try it now and see how it goes. Even a 70 percent Carlos in left with Pods in center is an improvement over Pods in left and the Wise/Anderson platoon in center though, so as long as Carlos is on the field, this is a good thing.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
TCQ is as healthy as he's going to be this season. He'll never be 100 percent until he has surgery in all likelihood, so we might as well try it now and see how it goes. Even a 70 percent Carlos in left with Pods in center is an improvement over Pods in left and the Wise/Anderson platoon in center though, so as long as Carlos is on the field, this is a good thing.

Is plantar fascitis the type of injury you get surgery for? I didn't think so... I just thought it took time to heal, people get it all the time.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
Can I hold you to that? Later in the year pitchers are tired...balls get left up...Defense becomes paramount. Just makes no sense to keep a pinch runner over a high caliber defensive replacement and that's really what was done here.

Agreed. Strikes me as unlikely that we're going to go the rest of the season without having some important defensive plays in the OF late in close games.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
Anderson is actually pretty quick on the basepaths, though Wise can actually steal and BA really doesn't do that well.

Its not about any sort of logical argument. At all. Its a personal thing - some combination of not liking BA's attitude, or Ozzie liking Wise, or whatever

I agree. Ozzie already has his productive left-handed, base-stealing leadoff hitter (Pods), so there's no logical reason to keep Wise over Anderson.

Kenny needs to deal Anderson. If the powers-that-be are willing to take on more salary for a year and a half, maybe Anderson and a couple of other mediocre prospects to the Jays for Rolen might not be a bad idea. I'd rather have a younger 3B who would fit into the long-term plans, but it might be worth it down the stretch this season if Kenny doesn't have to give up much and Ricciardi is desperate to dump salary (although I'd want some cash in return). I'd probably start with Anderson and Fields for Rolen and $4 million in cash.

Quentin looked a bit overly-anxious last night, but I was glad to see that he appeared to run normally. It was nice to see him get that standing O.

Edited by WCSox