Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
Glad to see it, especially after they got screwed on the roughing the kicker penalty.

Oh my goodness that was a bad call. That call got OU back into the game.

Really don't understand why there is a running into the kicker as well as roughing. If you hit him it should be 15, end of story. No judgment calls from the refs. Anyway, I still think Miami is barely a top 20 team. OU just isn't that good this year, it's really shocking.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 10:56 PM)
Really don't understand why there is a running into the kicker as well as roughing. If you hit him it should be 15, end of story. No judgment calls from the refs. Anyway, I still think Miami is barely a top 20 team. OU just isn't that good this year, it's really shocking.

They are a much different team away from Norman. It's strange.

I think it's pretty clear that Florida and Alabama are the best two teams in the nation(again?).

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 11:43 PM)
They are a much different team away from Norman. It's strange.

I think it's pretty clear that Florida and Alabama are the best two teams in the nation(again?).

Yeah, but Miami has been a different team away from home too. Florida State is pretty bad and a supposed top 15 team in Miami really should have lost that game, ehh. It will even out. It's pretty easy to say anyone outside the top 15, maybe even a couple in it, aren't good. A lot of teams with bad marks on their resume already.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 10:56 PM)

Oklahoma would be undefeated if Gresham and Bradford were healthy, so I'm not sure if it's fair to say they just aren't that good. Miami had a golden opportunity to get a good win in front of a big audience tonight though and deserve credit for taking advantage of it. The Hurricanes would be a year ahead of schedule this year if they end up with a big, double digit win type year, but it's clear regardless that their long term arrow is pointing up and for them to be 3-1 right now is impressive.

Oh, and I'm still cold from sitting in the rain and wind in DeKalb today. A 38-3 win over a big rival on homecoming is always nice though (even if not many of you care, ha). And whoever said the 2 point conversion in the Notre Dame game should have been reviewed is absolutely right. Not only was that a close play, I thought Hughes clearly was stopped short. Also, 2 things in addition: 1. Iowa plays great and wins at Penn State, has total control against Arizona, yet needs a miracle to beat a 1-AA team and only beats Arkansas State by three. 2. I hope Notre Dame just keeps winning at this point so they can get embarassed in a BCS Bowl, again (although they won't beat USC with Barkley. That 37-30 crap isn't going to work against their defense).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 06:36 PM)
It's funny though how much they struggle to win against pretty bland competition. Michigan St, Washington, and Purdue are nothing special.

They tend to play to their competition. They probably wont beat SC but I bet they give them a game.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 12:50 AM)
I know Cal has looked bad, but the Trojans were impressive tonight, and as long as they win in Eugene, they will be a one-loss team come BCS decison time.

Which is going to be tough. Oregon can look really good or really mediocre. Also, that game is on Halloween at Autzen, which makes it 2x as tough.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
Im done with Zook. Get a new coach in after the season.

you think Benn is still happy about choosing UI over ND & USC, especially after watching Golden Tate go for 200+??

i'm starting to realize why Florida was so quick to dump Zooker, i think he gets at least another year cause of the Rose Bowl season, but I dont see any light at the end of the tunnel...thankfully Bruce Weber figured out how to recruit, so we can look forward to bball season

QUOTE (kev211 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 05:07 AM)
They tend to play to their competition. They probably wont beat SC but I bet they give them a game.

It seems like ND seems to play to their competition because so far their competition has been mediocre across the board. Notre Dame is actually just as good as these mediocre teams as well. USC wins no problem.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 08:37 AM)
you think Benn is still happy about choosing UI over ND & USC, especially after watching Golden Tate go for 200+??

i'm starting to realize why Florida was so quick to dump Zooker, i think he gets at least another year cause of the Rose Bowl season, but I dont see any light at the end of the tunnel...thankfully Bruce Weber figured out how to recruit, so we can look forward to bball season

Im sure he's pretty upset with the team, but he hasnt stayed healthy throughout his career. He is very prone to little nagging injuries and his playing time and impact is hurt severely by them.

Zook was almost signed to an extension I believe, Im not sure if it fell through or what but the AD seems to like him alot. I could understand last year, riding the wave of emotions from the Rose Bowl year, but Zooker was banking on Juice and all his other "key" guys to lead Illinois and they havent been close to getting the job done. Instead they regressed this year bigtime. This is Zook's team now, almost every, if not all, players are his recruits and they arent playing well. He should be gone but wont be.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
Im sure he's pretty upset with the team, but he hasnt stayed healthy throughout his career. He is very prone to little nagging injuries and his playing time and impact is hurt severely by them.

Zook was almost signed to an extension I believe, Im not sure if it fell through or what but the AD seems to like him alot. I could understand last year, riding the wave of emotions from the Rose Bowl year, but Zooker was banking on Juice and all his other "key" guys to lead Illinois and they havent been close to getting the job done. Instead they regressed this year bigtime. This is Zook's team now, almost every, if not all, players are his recruits and they arent playing well. He should be gone but wont be.

With the exception of the cases of a blind squirrel finding a nut that were the 2001 Sugar Bowl and 2007 Rose Bowl teams, the football program has been a joke under the watch of Ron Guenther (only team in the Big 10 that has a worse overall record, as well as the only one with fewer bowl games, since he was hired is Indiana). So it's no surprise he'd want to do an idiotic thing like give Zook an extension. I will never understand why Guenther is so beloved in Champaign by the big wigs at the school. I understand there is a lot more to a school's athletic department than the football program, but that's the one that makes the big money.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)
With the exception of the cases of a blind squirrel finding a nut that were the 2001 Sugar Bowl and 2007 Rose Bowl teams, the football program has been a joke under the watch of Ron Guenther (only team in the Big 10 that has a worse overall record, as well as the only one with fewer bowl games, since he was hired is Indiana). So it's no surprise he'd want to do an idiotic thing like give Zook an extension. I will never understand why Guenther is so beloved in Champaign by the big wigs at the school. I understand there is a lot more to a school's athletic department than the football program, but that's the one that makes the big money.

Bingo. Sorry, nobody gives a s*** about tennis and golf and whatever. lol. If that's all you have to hang your hat on you seriously need to find another line of work. I didn't expect a whole lot this year. But what we've seen so far is pathetic beyond words.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 06:52 PM)

I think Zook was signed through '13 and he just signed a one year extension this last year. I'm sure 95% of this was recruiting related, so he could sell recruits for this coming year that he'd be around for their college careers.

Except for a few exceptions, Zook has recruited athletes, not football players. I've never been high on Juice Williams because although he has got a next-level arm, he can't make the proper reads or the proper throws. Take away the big win against OSU and his career outlook is nothing. It's incredibly sad that we have a talent like Benn (did anyone see his 2-3 catches saturday? how he basically said, f*** it, i'm tired of this crap, and broke about 10 tackles to make an extra 15 yards?) and can't utilize him. Something like 6 td's in his 3 year career. Pathetic.

I thank Zook for restocking the program, but now it's time to find someone to coach em up.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 11:05 PM)
Oklahoma would be undefeated if Gresham and Bradford were healthy, so I'm not sure if it's fair to say they just aren't that good. Miami had a golden opportunity to get a good win in front of a big audience tonight though and deserve credit for taking advantage of it. The Hurricanes would be a year ahead of schedule this year if they end up with a big, double digit win type year, but it's clear regardless that their long term arrow is pointing up and for them to be 3-1 right now is impressive.

Oh, and I'm still cold from sitting in the rain and wind in DeKalb today. A 38-3 win over a big rival on homecoming is always nice though (even if not many of you care, ha). And whoever said the 2 point conversion in the Notre Dame game should have been reviewed is absolutely right. Not only was that a close play, I thought Hughes clearly was stopped short. Also, 2 things in addition: 1. Iowa plays great and wins at Penn State, has total control against Arizona, yet needs a miracle to beat a 1-AA team and only beats Arkansas State by three. 2. I hope Notre Dame just keeps winning at this point so they can get embarassed in a BCS Bowl, again (although they won't beat USC with Barkley. That 37-30 crap isn't going to work against their defense).

Iowa's win over a 1-AA team wasn't a miracle. Those were long field goals, not chip-shots that were blocked and the only reason they got the 2nd attempt was because Iowa was just being foolish. Iowa played awful but took total control of that game from the 2nd half on.

They had Arkansas State beat the whole game, the end score was close but it was not a game.

Is Iowa a top 10 team, nope, but they are a top 20 football team.

Damn, my Tarheels losing to Ga. Tech I could see, but 16 - 3 losers to Virginia !!!! Their offense is beyond bad, John Shoop being your teams O' coordinator is just never a good idea at any level!!!!!!!

Edited by JuiceCruz16

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
Bingo. Sorry, nobody gives a s*** about tennis and golf and whatever. lol. If that's all you have to hang your hat on you seriously need to find another line of work. I didn't expect a whole lot this year. But what we've seen so far is pathetic beyond words.

Illinois is a basketball school anyway.