Fields playing worse in Minors than in the Majors

DaTank

Can anybody see his release soon? Sure, small sample size of only 9 games at Charlotte, but still already 4 errors and batting .171.

His offensive numbers are as follows:

AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS

.171 9 35 2 6 0 0 1 2 9 2 7 1 0 .237 .257 .494

That is disgusting.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fields isn't long for the White Sox organization, but he won't be waived. He's probably feeling sorry for himself, and you can't blame him, but he's going about getting a major league gig all wrong.

Teams will wonder why a guy who has performed like he has the last 2 seasons thinks he should be handed a starting job on the major league level. He'll hang around as fodder for some team for a while, but probably won't have much of a career.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
Can anybody see his release soon? Sure, small sample size of only 9 games at Charlotte, but still already 4 errors and batting .171.

His offensive numbers are as follows:

AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS

.171 9 35 2 6 0 0 1 2 9 2 7 1 0 .237 .257 .494

That is disgusting.

He's human. He's depressed about being sent down. He'll get over it in another week or so and realize he needs to play better to get traded.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 06:35 PM)
How the hell did he hit so many home runs in the beginning? What happened? He was actually in a White Sox tv commercial (anywhere...).

He was used to pulling all pitches to produce power. However, this lead to strikeouts as well. In spring training and early in the season the Sox coaches were trying to get him to hit to the right more (especially when he was hitting in the 2 spot). He just couldn't make the adjustment and it sent him into a tailspin and messed up the one thing he did well, hit for power.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 11:32 PM)
I remember when people were penciling him into our starting lineup with thirty homeruns.

I was not one of them may I point out, but regardless I am sorry to see Josh Fields failing so miserably. I was going to make a post erlier on this but didn't want folks to think I was taking some satisfaction in seeing Fields get plowed under.

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 08:10 PM)
How was this guy able to accomplish what he did in 2007? Hmmmmmmmm......

I don't think he was on the juice. He was scouted. When you don't make contact, and don't take a ton of walks, and don't get many hits other than homers, unless your in a select few, your major league career is very brief.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
If you face him anywhere but USCF, you have a chance.

Even if I could get used to a major league fastball (I can barely see a fastball that fast, let alone hit one), MLB-quality breaking stuff would send me into convulsions and fits of vomiting.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)
I don't think he was on the juice. He was scouted. When you don't make contact, and don't take a ton of walks, and don't get many hits other than homers, unless your in a select few, your major league career is very brief.

For the people that insisted Fields didn't get much of a shot, this is basically what happened, and he was supposed to be picking up where he left off in 2007. Instead he fell behind when pitchers figured him out and he never adjusted. It isn't really uncommon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 09:25 PM)

Spot on. This is why hitters like Fields and Chris Young don't realize sustained success at the major league level. They are flawed from the start, and are unable to make adjustments. You can’t teach patience.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 11, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
Spot on. This is why hitters like Fields and Chris Young don't realize sustained success at the major league level. They are flawed from the start, and are unable to make adjustments. You can’t teach patience.

Well, in Fields's case, it wasn't a lack of patience. It was an inability to hit letter-high, medium-speed fastballs. That was a problem even in 2007.