Ex teammates on Rios

Buehrle>Wood

The road to Rios: Maybe the White Sox outfoxed the world on Alex Rios. Maybe he's going to wake up and earn every nickel of the $61.6 million they now have to pay him through 2014. But the tales we've heard from ex-teammates, and people who watched him coast through life in Toronto, make you wonder.Rios is guaranteed $12 million to $12.5 million every year from 2011 to 2014. And that's star money. But is he magically going to turn back into a star just because he's playing for Ozzie Guillen, in a hitters' paradise? Not if these reviews from ex-teammates are accurate:

• "He's not a winning-type player. He's a guy who just doesn't have that burning desire to win, or be great."

• "He was a guy who just didn't go after it. He'd be sleeping in his locker 10 minutes before he had to go out on the field. And not just once."

• "He wasn't the same player after he got that [seven-year] contract. It sure seemed like he was a lot more motivated when he was looking for a contract than he was since he got the contract."

Meanwhile, scouts we surveyed seemed dubious, too.

"This guy should be a perennial 30-30 [hr-SB] guy," said one. "But to me, he's a classic underachiever. If Ozzie takes the wrong approach, he's going to lose him. He's a guy you've got to go real slow with. But whether Ozzie has that kind of patience, boy, I don't know."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...rumblings090813

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

Well hopefully soon he can start working for that new contract

It's also worth pointing out that this sort thing is far from an anomaly. That's the current athlete. We wish they'd all motivate themselves to the highest level, but we have plenty of guys here who dont explode out of the batters box, who dont go that extra mile.

That type of guy who busts it 24/7 is now the exception not the norm.

Edited by Princess Dye

If thats the case, hopefully we have a manager that can get him to succeed cause if he doesn't play the game the right way Ozzie will run him out very quickly.

We shall see and as far as I'm concerned I have a very open mind about Rios because of all the tools he possesses and the type of holes he can fill in Chicago.

To be as highly regarded a defensive player as he is.....he must hustle to some extent..

Also clubhouses can be catty. Griffey had all these negative stories surrounding him but was loved here. You just cant tell what a fresh start will be.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
It seems like everybody loves playing for the white sox and ozzie once they get here. Hopefully it will change his attitude.

And the reality is playing baseball in Toronto is completely different. Chicago is going to be a major change and we can only hope that it helps revive his baseball career cause he's got all kinds of tools and I'll be fine if we get the guy to play at his 3 year averages but the reality is it would be better if we could get him to do even better (he has the ability).

Rios deserves the benefit of the doubt here. Toronto is kind of a s***ty place to be, not only because of the dome and turf, but because that team can play very, very well - well enough to win other divisions in baseball - and still fail to make the playoffs because of New York, Boston, and Tampa Bay. In Chicago, Rios will go into each and every ST with not only playoff expectations but also a realistic shot at making them. If we make the playoffs this year, it will be 3 division titles and a World Championship within a 5-year period.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
Rios deserves the benefit of the doubt here. Toronto is kind of a s***ty place to be, not only because of the dome and turf, but because that team can play very, very well - well enough to win other divisions in baseball - and still fail to make the playoffs because of New York, Boston, and Tampa Bay. In Chicago, Rios will go into each and every ST with not only playoff expectations but also a realistic shot at making them. If we make the playoffs this year, it will be 3 division titles and a World Championship within a 5-year period.

I hope you are right

QUOTE (Wise Master Buehrle @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 05:32 PM)
Let's just hope that Rios is aware that if he pulls that kind of stuff here, he will not have many friends in Chicago for the duration of his contract.

We should also remember we're talking about a team that was not long ago managed by a guy who would challenge his players to fist fights to resolve everyday disputes. Something tells me between that and the constant 3rd or 4th-place finishes, Toronto didn't exactly have the most cohesive clubhouse.

QUOTE (Wise Master Buehrle @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 11:32 PM)
Let's just hope that Rios is aware that if he pulls that kind of stuff here, he will not have many friends in Chicago for the duration of his contract.

Not only that but he will be gone period. But, I think just as has been said here earlier that Rios has a clean slate right now.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 06:43 PM)
I don't think anyone called AJ lazy. A cancer? Yes. Lazy? No.

There were the stories of him not preparing before games, sitting in the San Fran locker room and watching Twins games rather than going over tape of the hitters they'd be about to face, not talking to the pitchers, etc.