Freddy is starting.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (gatnom @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 11:03 PM)
If Freddy doesn't do so well on Tuesday, does anybody else think we see Hudson in a sox uniform this year, perhaps replacing Contreras once Peavy returns?

We have two starts to fill before Peavy gets back. After that, we don't need the fifth starter until September. It is possible.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)
The Royals aren't a good team and Tuesday probably isn't a big game.

But Freddy will still be sweaty!

I may be mistaken, but I recall Freddy's stats are either great or terrible against the Royals. For some reason, though, I may be mixing them up with the Angels (who he owns).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 15, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
I may be mistaken, but I recall Freddy's stats are either great or terrible against the Royals.

Given that Freddy had a history of pitching to the level of his competition, my guess is that his numbers against the Royals were less than spectacular. Of course, he wasn't trying to salvage his career back then.

"Junkball Freddy" had some pretty solid outings back in 2006 and had an overall WHIP of 1.28. That ain't bad for a #5, and I think there's a pretty good chance that he could take Jose's place in the rotation.

Edited by WCSox

For the record, I was for and championed Pods getting his number back from Josh Fields (when you all thought Josh was a big part of our future), but I am not for Freddy getting his number from Gavin.

That being said, what number does he get? 33? 43? 24? 1? 00?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
For the record, I was for and championed Pods getting his number back from Josh Fields (when you all thought Josh was a big part of our future), but I am not for Freddy getting his number from Gavin.

That being said, what number does he get? 33? 43? 24? 1? 00?

I think Freddy is going to sport 33. Gavin has earned #34.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 16, 2009 -> 12:16 AM)
Given that Freddy had a history of pitching to the level of his competition, my guess is that his numbers against the Royals were less than spectacular. Of course, he wasn't trying to salvage his career back then.

"Junkball Freddy" had some pretty solid outings back in 2006 and had an overall WHIP of 1.28. That ain't bad for a #5, and I think there's a pretty good chance that he could take Jose's place in the rotation.

Bad. Real bad. 1.61 WHIP and a 6.12 ERA in 132 innings. I believe the announcers the other day mentioned that Freddy has previously stated that he gets bored pitching against a team like the Royals.

Hopefully for his first game back he'll have his juices flowing.

A lot is going to hinge on Freddy's performance tomorrow. If Freddy looks good and uses all his pitches, the leash on Contreras just got a heck of a lot shorter. One good outing by Freddy plus one more bad outing by Full Count should mean Hudson is up until Peavy is back, because then there will be only 2 starts(?) left out of what is essentially the 6th spot of the rotation.

I have more faith in Freddy tomorrow than I've had in Contreras and Colon all season. The guy flat out knows how to pitch and is a true competitor. If Freddy can consistently work in the 88-91 range he has enough secondary stuff to shut down any lineup on any given day. I really hope he's back for the rest of the season because out of all the other 5th starter options, nobody is a better bet for a stretch of big games than a healthy Freddy. The guy shut us down with Detroit last year for about 5 innings or so before they went to the pen, and I believe he was only working in the 83-86 range at that point. A healthy Freddy is a huge addition to this team and, if we make the playoffs, potentially a huge addition out of the bullpen as well. I'm not saying he could do what El Duque did against Boston, but he could be like another El Duque in the sense that if Linebrink gets us in a real bind like Marte did back then, Freddy is one veteran with enough offspeed tricks up his sleeve to work his way out of a jam.

So tomorrow I hope Freddy is lights-out for at least 5 innings, and then Contreras bombs out on Wednesday but in a game we come back and win. That way we get Freddy as our #5 for the rest of the year and we also get to see Hudson make his MLB debut and at least get one more start afterwards. Of course Freddy could show his fastball is still way down and end up getting torched, but IMO the above is the best case scenario.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 17, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
A lot is going to hinge on Freddy's performance tomorrow. If Freddy looks good and uses all his pitches, the leash on Contreras just got a heck of a lot shorter. One good outing by Freddy plus one more bad outing by Full Count should mean Hudson is up until Peavy is back, because then there will be only 2 starts(?) left out of what is essentially the 6th spot of the rotation.

I have more faith in Freddy tomorrow than I've had in Contreras and Colon all season. The guy flat out knows how to pitch and is a true competitor. If Freddy can consistently work in the 88-91 range he has enough secondary stuff to shut down any lineup on any given day. I really hope he's back for the rest of the season because out of all the other 5th starter options, nobody is a better bet for a stretch of big games than a healthy Freddy. The guy shut us down with Detroit last year for about 5 innings or so before they went to the pen, and I believe he was only working in the 83-86 range at that point. A healthy Freddy is a huge addition to this team and, if we make the playoffs, potentially a huge addition out of the bullpen as well. I'm not saying he could do what El Duque did against Boston, but he could be like another El Duque in the sense that if Linebrink gets us in a real bind like Marte did back then, Freddy is one veteran with enough offspeed tricks up his sleeve to work his way out of a jam.

So tomorrow I hope Freddy is lights-out for at least 5 innings, and then Contreras bombs out on Wednesday but in a game we come back and win. That way we get Freddy as our #5 for the rest of the year and we also get to see Hudson make his MLB debut and at least get one more start afterwards. Of course Freddy could show his fastball is still way down and end up getting torched, but IMO the above is the best case scenario.

Why would you hope for Jose to get bombed on Wednesday? I couldn't care less about Hudson if it means Jose regains his stuff and is lights out the rest of the way. Unlikely, I know - but isn't that the best case scenario?

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 01:23 AM)
Why would you hope for Jose to get bombed on Wednesday? I couldn't care less about Hudson if it means Jose regains his stuff and is lights out the rest of the way. Unlikely, I know - but isn't that the best case scenario?

Contreras would still have me scared for his next start after Wednesday even if he pitches very well on Wednesday.

With Freddy - if he's healthy again and his FB is up to an acceptable range - he has a LOT more to work with than Contreras does. Jose can go out there looking fine, but then he loses his forkball early on and then there goes his FB, and then he starts sidearming garbage up to the plate. Freddy, if he falls behind, has the balls to throw just about anything deep in the count and get it over. And he's smart enough to realize what is and is not working and then try something else. Freddy will add or take something off of several different pitches while Jose is just basically Jose. So if Freddy goes out there and throws a good game, I don't think that would be any definite sign that he'll be very good for the rest of the season, but I'd say his chances would be a lot higher than Count.

And as for Hudson, I just want to see him. Give him the last couple starts until Peavy gets back, with Freddy as our constant No. 5, and then either shut Hudson down or let him pitch irregularly out of the pen during blow-outs or something. Keep him in good shape for next year because unless Kenny trades him over the offseason, he'll most likely be our #5 at some point next year, and maybe he'll be that out of ST.

Edit: And BTW I still want the Sox to win.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2009 -> 01:57 PM)
Our bullpen can potentially be a total mess after back to back starts by Freddy and Jose. Hopefully one of the next 2 starts sees the starter pitch into the 7th.

But we have an off day on Thursday thankfully