• Don Cooper
    • Greg Walker
    • Players

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 07:20 AM)
Um, the players he got aren't performing. How is that Kenny's fault? It can't be on anyone else BUT the players. That is flawed logic.

No s*** dude, ive already said the order of blame was 1. Players 2. KW

I was explaining to someone else WHY Kenny would get some blame here.

And the fact that you say "Um, the players he got aren't performing. How is that Kennys fault?" What the f*** do you think the GM job is? No GM would ever get fired if that wasn't their fault.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 06:36 AM)
Your logic is pretty twisted. "Get players who perform." So if the players have a past success of quality performance before Kenny gets them and they start to under perform once Kenny does get them it's on Kenny? So if Peavy goes 5-15, 5.62 ERA next year that's on Kenny? I don't think so.

Who is it on then..

When a team trades prospects for an expensive player who does not perform for the team its not going to come back to the GM who acquired him?

Ive already said the players are number one, my logic is fine here you guys just don't read

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
Who is it on then..

When a team trades prospects for an expensive player who does not perform for the team its not going to come back to the GM who acquired him?

Ive already said the players are number one, my logic is fine here you guys just don't read

"Get players that perform." Your words, right? Well a guy like Peavy has performed and performed at a disgustingly high level. So if he sucks next year for whatever reason how again would it be on Kenny? Simply saying "Kenny brought him here" is pretty flawed and lazy. I'm not saying KW or any GM for that matter, even the really, really good ones, are above any kinda blame when something goes wrong. But I fail to see when proven guys with long histories of consistent production fail to get the job done that the blame somehow falls on the GM. Now if you want to blame KW, as some already have, for not doing more to upgrade the 2009 team before the season started, then fine. I don't agree. Even with that, this division was more than winnable. Detroit was beggin' us to make a move and we choked on a fat one.

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
No s*** dude, ive already said the order of blame was 1. Players 2. KW

I was explaining to someone else WHY Kenny would get some blame here.

And the fact that you say "Um, the players he got aren't performing. How is that Kennys fault?" What the f*** do you think the GM job is? No GM would ever get fired if that wasn't their fault.

The GM got players who are under performing. That is not his fault. He could not foresee the s***fest that they have put together the past couple months. It is not on KW. The only thing that is on him would be the lack of CF options to begin the year and the 5th starter hole, but even then Colon was better than a lot of team's #5 starters. No one was blaming KW for f***ing up the team in June when Dye should have been an all-star, Konerko was hitting much better, Beckham came out blazing (after the 0-18), Thome was contributing etc...There wasnt blame being thrown at him then, and there shouldnt be now. If KW, or any GM, could have foreseen players the caliber of the one's we have go into such a funk they wouldn't be GMs. They'd be in Vegas or playing the lottery.

So statements like this are pretty silly, to be nice.

"Dude that's why it IS on Kenny.. His job is to get players who perform, the players aren't performing (not living up to their potential) so how can it be on anyone else?"

Quite simply, who do you blame? KW, Ozzie, Cooper, Walker or the players.

Pick one with a brief synopsis of why. Personally I say it's on the players. KW has done everything he can to put a really nice team on the field on paper. Ozzie really hasn't made any more mistakes this year than he has any other year and has been able to get more out of less players. Cooper has been Cooper, though he may need to work more with bullpen arms. Walker is still Walker, good or bad depending on who you ask. All in all, it seems like the players haven't had a sense of urgency.

this season is really nothing worth getting steamed over. when brit burns threw a scoreless 9 innings vs baltimore in 1983 in AL 4th game and we lost that game....now that was majorly worth getting pissed about. or the year that we had the best record in baseball combined and didnt make the playoffs...now that was BS. and the year against the blue jays when dan pasqua either struck out or popped up to cost us that playoff series...well that was all very shiddy. this year comes as no surprise. actually who on this team has the confidence and competitiveness to take a leadership role as champs do? when KW decided to get rid of the one player that typified this in AROW well that was the turning point for me...other than that we are exactly what everyone on this board knows us as.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 08:30 PM)
The Rowand situation reminds me of the Ventura situation.

Sending a guy away in his prime because he'll want too much money eventually.

This teams problems have NOTHING to do with Aaron Rowand not being here. If that were our biggest problem, we would be in fantastic shape as a franchise.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 01:52 AM)
So was Kenny just supposed to trade Dye at the all star break? Nobody in the world could have predicted he'd fall off a f***in cliff here in the 2nd half after being productive every year he's been here and playing at an all start level the first half of the season. Pods is the least of our problems, Konerko is right in line with his career stats and I'll give you Thome but it's not like he's been terrible this season either. I really don't see how you can blame Kenny for any of those guys.

I'd have sold off any veteran I could in July, and people around here who have been reading my posts know I have been consistent with that all season. I agree with you that the falloff this team has had is very strange when you consider how we have seemingly got better on paper as the year went on, but I wanted a firesale in July becuase I was afraid something like this would happen in August (although even I am a bit surprised just how fast the fall has been).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

This teams problems have NOTHING to do with Aaron Rowand not being here. If that were our biggest problem, we would be in fantastic shape as a franchise.

I'd have sold off any veteran I could in July, and people around here who have been reading my posts know I have been consistent with that all season. I agree with you that the falloff this team has had is very strange when you consider how we have seemingly got better on paper as the year went on, but I wanted a firesale in July becuase I was afraid something like this would happen in August (although even I am a bit surprised just how fast the fall has been).

NOTHING? who replaced the competitiveness and confidence? interesting how Philly turned that corner. and now SF is doing the same. you folks may never understand how important the intangibles in life really are.

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 10:07 PM)
NOTHING? who replaced the competitiveness and confidence? interesting how Philly turned that corner. and now SF is doing the same. you folks may never understand how important the intangibles in life really are.

Yes, because what the team is lacking is that “Fire and Passion.” Please.

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)

Yeah, Philly turned that corner after Rowand left and they got his much better replacement, Shane Victorino, in the lineup.

QUOTE (whitesoxmanager @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)

Philly didn't win a playoff game in either of Rowand's years with the club and then won the WS immediately after he left. SF sucked last year with Rowand. They have improved dramatically this year because they have 2 starting pitchers who are among the best 5 in baseball and that never lose and then their bullpen has been outstanding. I'm sure Rowand contributing to the 3rd worst offense in the NL has had a lot more to do with SF's success this year than the fact that they have the 2nd lowest ERA in the NL and 2 Cy Young contenders. I'm sure Rowand's intangibles is what has led SF to drop their ERA by over 1 run per game this year. Yeah, that is exactly why they have improved so much.

On one hand, I got my Mark Buehrle World Series Wheaties Box.

On the other hand, I have to read posts by people who think we should sign Crede so that he could retire in a Sox uniform, or how Aaron Rowand has turned the Phillies and Giants into playoff teams.

It's too much for the senses.

On one hand, I got my Mark Buehrle World Series Wheaties Box.

On the other hand, I have to read posts by people who think we should sign Crede so that he could retire in a Sox uniform, or how Aaron Rowand has turned the Phillies and Giants into playoff teams.

It's too much for the senses.

It's too much for the senses to believe that confidence and competitiveness dont factor into winning? Did you ever watch Walter Payton run my man? Once again...answer the question people...who do you think on this team posseses these qualities since Arow left? WHO? WHO THE f*** IS IT?

Edited by whitesoxmanager

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 31, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
Philly didn't win a playoff game in either of Rowand's years with the club and then won the WS immediately after he left. SF sucked last year with Rowand. They have improved dramatically this year because they have 2 starting pitchers who are among the best 5 in baseball and that never lose and then their bullpen has been outstanding. I'm sure Rowand contributing to the 3rd worst offense in the NL has had a lot more to do with SF's success this year than the fact that they have the 2nd lowest ERA in the NL and 2 Cy Young contenders. I'm sure Rowand's intangibles is what has led SF to drop their ERA by over 1 run per game this year. Yeah, that is exactly why they have improved so much.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 30, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
I blame Soxtalk for getting too emotionally attatched to this team. They couldn't handle the insane amount of pressure we put on them.

In reality I think blame goes around to everyone. You win and lose as a team. Everyone is to blame for a loss and everyone is to be cheered for a win. Obviously it's not always black and white like that. But you do win and lose as a team. Changes need to be done throughout a season and besides trades, not many changes have happend with this team. They've been terrible on defense all year, overall the pitching hasn't been good, the batting average has been low all year, the way the team approaches situations with baserunners has been terrible too. We're two games under .500, meaning we're basically an average team.

You have the 2,000,000th post in soxtalk history. Woot! :lol:

How do you feel to have won the "you get pointed out" game? :D