Debate: Swap Linebrink for Bradley?

prochisox

WHY TRADE FOR BRADLEY ? Much better to trade for a guy like Josh Hamilton . He is a risk but not a expensive one . And if he has a bounce back season we got a very good player the rangers have a lot of younger outfielders Borbon Boggs Murphy Cruz . So getting Hamilton is not impossible maybe 2 pitching prospects would do it . plus i think the rangers will resign Marlon Bryd .

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was reading a something from a site called palehose and they were suggesting trading for Brian Roberts . On another site they suggested trading FLOYD CQ Jordan Danks to Baltimore for Adam Jones and Brian Roberts . i didn't make these trade ideas so don't rip me . I am just letting people know here what others are saying . take care all :gosoxretro:

you have such high expectations

I just don't see Liney bringing anything of value. Why not dump his salary for a hack (reclamatiion project) hopefully for less money. I really don't get why baseball teams overpay these middle reliever guys (Farnsworth, Dotel, Liney, etc.)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
I just don't see Liney bringing anything of value. Why not dump his salary for a hack (reclamatiion project) hopefully for less money. I really don't get why baseball teams overpay these middle reliever guys (Farnsworth, Dotel, Liney, etc.)

2007 White Sox say hi.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)

Just because you dont value a player on your team, you dont actively try and pawn him off as trash, for trash. You want to maximize his value, whatever value it is. Sometimes other teams desperately need middle relievers(like the brewers) and will overpay for these types, and guess what, you dont have to ask for their trash back becayse of their team needs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)

Supply and demand.

How many quality relievers become available in FA each season?

Bullpens are such a crapshoot however. 2 years ago, it was pretty bad to say the least, so KW went out and got 2 guys who at the time were certainly above average reliever wise in Linebrink and Dotel, and at least on the former, it's certainly backfired because of the length of the deal.

• 1 month later...

If the Yankees get Matsui back, I think I’d give some legitimate thought to immediately offering Linebrink for Bradley and cash. I realize the guy's attitude needs a HUGE adjustment, but my god, he fits about every need we have on this team, and the guy can hit. He’s a son of a b****, but that’s not a foreign concept in Chicago. Maybe, he’ll find an environment worth playing for here, maybe not, regardless, I’m game to try. The Cubs are going to panic soon. The Burell talks have fallen through, interest for him is dying out, we can capitalize in a major way here.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 01:44 AM)
If the Yankees get Matsui back, I think I’d give some legitimate thought to immediately offering Linebrink for Bradley and cash. I realize the guy's attitude needs a HUGE adjustment, but my god, he fits about every need we have on this team, and the guy can hit. He’s a son of a b****, but that’s not a foreign concept in Chicago. Maybe, he’ll find an environment worth playing for here, maybe not, regardless, I’m game to try. The Cubs are going to panic soon. The Burell talks have fallen through, interest for him is dying out, we can capitalize in a major way here.

I really think he would work great for the Sox. Even last year, which was obviously a down year for him, he managed a +.370 OBP. The guy can mash. He'd be cheap and could probably be had for Linebrink, leaving us money to get another OF (I dont think Bradley in the OF would work at all). He would be such a steal if the Cubs paid a large chunk or if they swapped contracts.

The Cubs are very talented at throwing players under the bus, what with having their own newspaper. It appears a lot of people here ate it up. The Cubs scapegoated the hell out of him. The organization signed him to a stupid contract, asked him to do stuff he's not good at, and then blamed him when the whole team sucked. Meanwhile, Alfonso Soriano is doing his best impression of Vernon Wells and nobody is trying to run him out of town.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 08:44 PM)

If you are suggesting trading for this mess of a player to take up residence in our DH spot, may I kindly counter with one Jim Thome? Bradley doesn't necessarily "hit", per se, from a run producing perspective. He does get on base at an impressive rate, I'll give you that. But he's not a guy who is going to hit a lot of home runs and/or drive in a lot of runs. Meanwhile, Big Jim will give you the same on-base % as Bradley AND he'll also provide the kind of power guy needed in the middle of the line-up. I'm not advocating going out and signing Thome, but I would take him any day over Bradley.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)
I really think he would work great for the Sox. Even last year, which was obviously a down year for him, he managed a +.370 OBP. The guy can mash. He'd be cheap and could probably be had for Linebrink, leaving us money to get another OF (I dont think Bradley in the OF would work at all). He would be such a steal if the Cubs paid a large chunk or if they swapped contracts.

The Cubs are very talented at throwing players under the bus, what with having their own newspaper. It appears a lot of people here ate it up. The Cubs scapegoated the hell out of him. The organization signed him to a stupid contract, asked him to do stuff he's not good at, and then blamed him when the whole team sucked. Meanwhile, Alfonso Soriano is doing his best impression of Vernon Wells and nobody is trying to run him out of town.

The last place the Cubs want to be is where they are with Milton Bradley right now. They didn't throw him under the bus. He did it to himself. Again. Its no surprise he did because it isn't the first or second or third time its happened. He's a malcontent. A cancer. A pain in the ass. If the White Sox were to acquire him, I would think KW has lost his mind.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 08:09 PM)
The last place the Cubs want to be is where they are with Milton Bradley right now. They didn't throw him under the bus. He did it to himself. Again. Its no surprise he did because it isn't the first or second or third time its happened. He's a malcontent. A cancer. A pain in the ass. If the White Sox were to acquire him, I would think KW has lost his mind.

So would I. I dont want that turd anywhere near the Sox, and I dont care what the stats say. Common sense says every point you bring up is right on the money, and no thanks to that pain in the ass idiot.

QUOTE (sox84 @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 02:18 AM)
So would I. I dont want that turd anywhere near the Sox, and I dont care what the stats say. Common sense says every point you bring up is right on the money, and no thanks to that pain in the ass idiot.

How many of us thought the exact same thing when the Sox picked up AJ? He carried a terrible reputation, he got into fights with teammates. 99% of Sox fans despised him. How many still wish he wasn't a part of the team?

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 07:57 PM)

In an NL environment Wells is actually a better contract IMO, and if I ran the Cubs I'd try to trade Soriano for Wells straight up. Wells at least can play CF now and move to RF later, plus he's 3 years younger. Wells' deal is the same length and only $8.5M more over that span. Imagine how bad Soriano - who is paid through the age of 38 - will be on defense once he loses some make-up speed. Imagine how much he's going to K once his bat slows down. He doesn't walk much, so that doesn't help. He doesn't have the hands to play 1B. He's pretty close to being a DH now and he's still got 5 years remaining on his deal. As bad as Wells' deal is, at least Wells may be able to provide *some* value on the field in the latter years of his contract.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Dec 11, 2009 -> 08:22 PM)
How many of us thought the exact same thing when the Sox picked up AJ? He carried a terrible reputation, he got into fights with teammates. 99% of Sox fans despised him. How many still wish he wasn't a part of the team?

AJ is nowhere near Bradley. AJ's rep with his Minnesota teammates was very good. He had some problems with a couple of SF guys. Why would Bradley be any different with the Sox than he was with the other 7 teams he played for? Think about it. He has a career OPS over .800. He's put up some real nice numbers, but he's been with 7 teams and hasn't played 1000 games. I think that tells you something about him. The longest a team has been able to put up with him is 216 games. Considering some of the bad actors that have played MLB, his act is legendary.

I almost think KW is quietly hoping MN goes after Bradley and he poisons their clubhouse.

Edited by Dick Allen

There have been some ex-Cleveland players on the Sox who have played with Bradley who could tell KW what it was like to play with him. If he is a jerk to his team, then I don't want him. If he only has had trouble with the media, some temper issues, and problems with the cubs, then I would consider giving him a shot at the right price. All he would have to do is have a couple of comments on how he did not enjoy the cubs and play solid ball and he would be fine. He and Ozzie might actually understand each other in an odd way. I would do it based on what I know now. I wonder what Omar Vizquel and other ex teammates think of him.

I loved the move. I can respect a guy for what he is. AJ has one of the best baseball IQs there is. Bradley is lazy, and a bad teammate.

White Sox fans hated him because he was a f***ing prick when he was with the Twins. The only clubhouse issues there ever were with AJ revolved around Brett Tomko and his posse. How has Brett Tomko's career been anyways?

If anything, I'd compare Tomko to Bradley, especially considering he's been with as many organizations as he's been with in the past 5-10 years...except that I'd be wrong. Tomko switches teams because he f***ing blows, and AJP hasn't switched teams since 2005 because he's a f***ing stud.

I think the Sox should trade him in May or June, I'm sure they can move him with a low era.. he always starts off the season GREAT and is lights out.. then it seems his arm gets tired/injured.. heres some stats:

09/08: March/April 1.12/2.53

May 2.79/.068

June 2.38/1.00

July 3.68/7.50

August 8.49/DL

Sept 9.00/11.05

Edited by b-Rye

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Dec 12, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
I think the Sox should trade him in May or June, I'm sure they can move him with a low era.. he always starts off the season GREAT and is lights out.. then it seems his arm gets tired/injured.. heres some stats:

09/08: March/April 1.12/2.53

May 2.79/.068

June 2.38/1.00

July 3.68/7.50

August 8.49/DL

Sept 9.00/11.05

You don't think any of the other 29 GM's in baseball know that he's struggled mightily in the second half of recent seasons? And for the last time...HE HAS A FULL NO TRADE CLAUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 05:54 PM)
WHY TRADE FOR BRADLEY ? Much better to trade for a guy like Josh Hamilton . He is a risk but not a expensive one . And if he has a bounce back season we got a very good player the rangers have a lot of younger outfielders Borbon Boggs Murphy Cruz . So getting Hamilton is not impossible maybe 2 pitching prospects would do it . plus i think the rangers will resign Marlon Bryd .

Josh Hamilton would be fantastic. Do you really think we could get him? Have there been any rumors that he's on the block? I haven't heard anything.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 14, 2009 -> 01:52 AM)
Josh Hamilton would be fantastic. Do you really think we could get him? Have there been any rumors that he's on the block? I haven't heard anything.

No, and the Rangers have really made no effort whatsoever to resign Byrd. Their outfield is going to end up with Cruz, Borbon, and Hamilton in it.